Bayonne Bridge safety boat fatal accident

Thursday March 9, 2017 I lost my deckhand Joseph Turi of West Milford, NJ in an accident at the Bayonne Bridge. He was alone on a 25 foot Parker and was the safety boat on station under the bridge. At this point we do not know what happened to him.

The boat was found with him on board on the rocks in the vicinity of First Street on Bayonne. [This is behind the 12 buoy] There was a hole in the boat.

The Medical Examiner has released that the cause of death was internal bleeding due to a lacerated pulmonary artery consistent with a collision.

A search was conducted after he did not return to Elco Boat Basin at the end of his shift. It is believed that he struck an unknown object possibly a buoy while proceeding to his station. This would have been approximately 1900 on March 8.

I will follow up with arrangements when I receive them from his family.

In addition to being my deckhand at Thornton Towing, Joe worked at Bouchard, Miller’s Launch, NY Waterway, NY Water taxi, most of the dinner boats, was the former owner of “The Diplomat” excursion boat and started his career in The U.S. Coast Guard Reserve. Working at Sandy Hook and Station NY.

If anyone is a witness to the accident or has any information please contact the NJ State Police or the USCG Chief Investigators office, or myself.

He will be missed.

1 Like

Surely sorry to hear that, Capn, my goodness. God bless all involved. I appreciate your tribute to him.