Barge company

I live in Louisiana and am always around water and boats. I was wondering if starting a barge business to use my barges to move other company’s freight would be a good idea and if it would be profitable. Also is their a market for that or am I too late to start and its saturated with other companies?

[QUOTE=danny55;141329]I live in Louisiana and am always around water and boats. I was wondering if starting a barge business to use my barges to move other company’s freight would be a good idea and if it would be profitable. Also is their a market for that or am I too late to start and its saturated with other companies?[/QUOTE]

Too many barges, too late to the game and probably not enough connections. The marine business has traditionally not been a place that companies succeed just by having good equipment and doing a god job. You need connections to get the work and then do a good job to keep it (and entertain folks).

Plus, barges don’t rent for very much money. It’s not a business that can be successful if highly leveraged.

how the hell is it you have barges but don’t even know the market? somebody just give them to you or did you win them in a poker game?

It’s like an episode of pawnstars or antiques roadshow…I acquired the barges, what are they worth? Actually they’re poor reproduction barges.

[QUOTE=Saltine;141735]
Plus, barges don’t rent for very much money. It’s not a business that can be successful if highly leveraged.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. There was a company in Sitka that the business model was strictly barge rental. He had 5-6 ABS barges, a daily rate for a longer charter was near $2000.

All he had to do was paperwork, and maintain certs.

Contracts were such that any damage was repaired before the offhire. Was very much in demand, mostly because ABS barges aren’t easy to come by all the time

good to hear…I’ve got an old barge down in the Columbia River I have been looking to get some work for…

I know it needs some Red Hand but otherwise…good to go!