Bag Packing / Go Bag / First Time Deck Hands

So I hear :confused: I say this with envy…

You can’t wear them? Why, company policy? I’m sure my company policy also says ‘steel toe’ but who’s going to know whether they’re steel or composite? They still have a hard toe box in them. As soon as I discovered the non steel toeboots like 5 years ago I haven’t looked back. Unless somebody wants to see the little tag that was on the boots when you bought them buy whatever you want.

Just do like the deckhands in Houston do. Shorts and flip flops. Safety 3rd

[QUOTE=New3M;91247]You can’t wear them? Why, company policy? I’m sure my company policy also says ‘steel toe’ but who’s going to know whether they’re steel or composite? They still have a hard toe box in them. As soon as I discovered the non steel toe boots like 5 years ago I haven’t looked back. Unless somebody wants to see the little tag that was on the boots when you bought them buy whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

So if you are involved in an accident and suffer injury and are not wearing steel toe boots when company policy told you to, what happens then?

They might try and raise some hell about it but as long as the shoe meets the same ANSI standard as a regular steal toe you are covered if and when it goes to court.

The company policy says steel toe only. I could try to risk getting away with it, but our company issues us boots and it would be too risky using a different pair. I guess steel toes are safer… I wouldn’t want to risk my job for it that’s for sure.

I wore shorts & tevas in the summer in charleston on deck for years. No issues, had docksiders on boat for when the boss showed up. I see no issue with shorts on deck of a tug.

The boots I wear are ANSI approved and I challenge someone to tell me if I’m wearing steel toe or composite toe (while I’m wearing them) without cutting them open. I’m also of the belief that if it comes down to needing a steel toe box to save your toes, it’s too late for your toes. Whether they’re steel or composite or titanium you’re still going to have no toes at the end of the day. Of course the same could be said for hard hats - they’re good for nothing more than bump covers, but if you’re not wearing it the insurance won’t pay out!

Not trying to get in a pissing match about your ANSI boots, I can tell you are very proud of them. And I agree that without cutting them open nobody would be able to tell the difference.
With no personal experience in the offshore or commercial side, I was asking what a company stance would be if your titanium boots didn’t protect you … And the titanium boots weren’t company approved PPE.
My experience with PPE comes from the fire service, where common sense and logic like you use in your statements are in short supply.

Haha I’m not proud of them but I do find them much more comfortable to wear, mostly because of the weight savings.

I’m not sure what the company stance would be. These titanium/composite/safety toes are supposed to have the same qualifications as steel toes. Our accident form has a question on it about “were you wearing proper ppe?” to which i would answer yes. So if something happened and I was asked if I had steel toed boots on, I’d just tell them yes and let them figure out what my boots are made out of. I’m not at work now to find out exactly what our company policy says about steel toes, but you’ve made me curious and when I get back ill look into it. I believe it says “safety shoes” and doesn’t specify steel, but I could very well be wrong. We don’t get issued boots, but they reimburse up to a point and I think the ANSI info is involved in that, but I just submitted a receipt last year and got my money back no questions asked.

Those company policies usually say that they [safety boots] must cover the ankle & have a leather upper. Most mariners should realize by now that half of us opt to also carry the slip-on safety toed loafer style shoe.

If they checked your boots, which they would in the case of serious injury… You would be fired. And you may have to go through a lot of BS to get your doctor bills paid for by somebody else but you. Bottom line, you aren’t using company approved ppe. Not that it makes it safer, it just covers your ass, your job, and possibly your wallet. Plus, maybe those steel toes can help me shed some of this holiday weight off of my gut…?

[QUOTE=“Pikuptruk;91965”]If they checked your boots, which they would in the case of serious injury… You would be fired. And you may have to go through a lot of BS to get your doctor bills paid for by somebody else but you. Bottom line, you aren’t using company approved ppe. Not that it makes it safer, it just covers your ass, your job, and possibly your wallet. Plus, maybe those steel toes can help me shed some of this holiday weight off of my gut…?[/QUOTE]

Most of the time “steel toe” is slang for a company policy that says “safety shoes metering ANSI standards”. A company would have a hard time defending a policy that refused to honor ANSI standards and common industry practice and the injured person would probably win in court.

Not when their policy states “Only steel toed boots will be permitted aboard all offshore company installations.” Most are at will companies, and they will gladly fire you on the spot because they can. And they wouldn’t have a hard time arguing anything in court with their high priced attorneys. The company I work for has not lost a single case regarding foot injuries since their lace-up steel toe policy was set in place. And they DO look at every piece of ppe your wearing. The settlements have saved them more money than paying the employee disability claims. They have spent the dough on the research, and they have WAY too much money invested in safety to deal with guys trying use the ANSI excuse. Plus if you screw up and get hurt, you ruin any chances of getting the saftey bonus that year for that installation, you, and all of your shipmates. You will be the most popular guy on ship/rig (not in a good way). Don’t be that guy. My advice for you (not that your asking for it) or anyone else reading this would be to follow your Company’s policy.

worked with a guy in NY doing bunkers, he was a rather large fellow and got caught bunkering a cruise ship in shorts and flip flops, no shirt and his huge fish belly hanging out the front and plumber crack hanging out the back…truely a sight to behold…especialy when the company we were working for had a few people on the cruise ship and took some amazing pictures of him…truely classic

[QUOTE=Pikuptruk;91985]Not when their policy states “Only steel toed boots will be permitted aboard all offshore company installations.” Most are at will companies, and they will gladly fire you on the spot because they can. And they wouldn’t have a hard time arguing anything in court with their high priced attorneys. The company I work for has not lost a single case regarding foot injuries since their lace-up steel toe policy was set in place. And they DO look at every piece of ppe your wearing. The settlements have saved them more money than paying the employee disability claims. They have spent the dough on the research, and they have WAY too much money invested in safety to deal with guys trying use the ANSI excuse. Plus if you screw up and get hurt, you ruin any chances of getting the saftey bonus that year for that installation, you, and all of your shipmates. You will be the most popular guy on ship/rig (not in a good way). Don’t be that guy. My advice for you (not that your asking for it) or anyone else reading this would be to follow your Company’s policy.[/QUOTE]

Coming from a shipyard background the issue of ‘steel toe’ versus composite in a safety shoe gets a lot of attention especially among welders and electricians. a simple cut through the leather exposing the steel to high amperage current can be a deadly avoidable situation. I would also think that once out in Saltwater this risk of electrical shock could increase significantly. Just my .02…

Steel toes do not pose a threat to welding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

[QUOTE=Pikuptruk;92233]Steel toes do not pose a threat to welding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.[/QUOTE]

Every pair of Safety Shoes that has a rating for Juice has had Composite Toes. My last company would allow you to wear either type.