Article in Popular Mechanics that applies to Mariners

Yes but then there is the rest of the page.

(e) Seafarers with one of the following [national officer endorsements]

Table 1 to § 11.329(E) - STCW Endorsement as OICEW in a Manned Engine Room or Designated Duty Engineer in a Periodically Unmanned Engine Room on Vessels Powered by Main Propulsion Machinery of 750 kW/1,000 HP Propulsion Power or More

[Operational level]

Entry path from national endorsements Sea service * Competence -
STCW Table A-
III/1 ** Training
required by
this
section ***
Second assistant engineer any horsepower None Yes Yes
Third assistant engineer any horsepower None Yes Yes
Assistant engineer (limited) None Yes Yes
Designated duty engineer, (unlimited) (less than 500 GRT) None Yes Yes
Assistant engineer (MODU) None Yes Yes
Assistant engineer (OSV) None Yes Yes
Designated duty engineer, 3,000 kW/4,000 HP 1 12 months Yes Yes
Designated duty engineer, 750 kW/1,000 HP 1 24 months Yes Yes

STCW Table A-III/1 of Chapter III (STCW 2010 Resolution 2)

SPECIFICATION OF MINIMUM STANDARD OF COMPETENCE FOR OFFICERS IN CHARGE OF AN ENGINEERING WATCH IN A MANNED ENGINE-ROOM OR DESIGNATED DUTY ENGINEERS IN A PERIODICALLY UNMANNED ENGINE-ROOM

I’m very confused.

Yes, you also are required to have a corresponding national endorsement to qualify, as well as classes and assessments. None of that removes the requirement to have 1,080 days or to have completed an approved program.

Ok…so you have to be a 3AE and then wait till you have 1080 and the classes before you get qualified as OICOEW certified.

Only if you get your 3AE using the “abet engineering degree + 180 days as qmed” route.

I can’t find any place that makes distinction in regulations on how you got 3AE. Whether by Academy, Hawsepipe, Maritime Apprenticeship (AMO MEBA), Shore Trade Apprenticeship (like Railroad Mechanic), by Military Service etc.

What?

This is exactly the key point. It does not matter what your path to 3rd A/E was. If you hold the 3rd A/E, you meet the seatime requirement for OICEW, as stated in the table that is referred to by the actual txt of the law. Again, why would such table exist if it did not apply to the 180days ABET degree situation?

Forum consensus and information was incorrect back then, and it is incorrect today. 1080 days wasn’t needed before Dec 31, 2016 (as stated in this thread) and it isn’t needed today. National Crossover from 3rd A/E satisfied the sea time requirement to earn OICEW for multiple engineers I know that are currently sailing. They were eligible for the 3rd A/E with 180days in engine department and ABET ME or EE degree.

Funny. . . I found that I could sail with a, well, less than stellar captain. . . wasn’t always enjoyable, but I could make it work. . . .

1 Like

Except that’s clearly false because there are only two possible ways to have enough sea time to get OICEW. The tables don’t overrule the unambiguous text.

It was if you started your sea time after March 2014.

You most likely had a decent vise close by just in case. Was always aware the engineers had tools that were not on the inventory/order list. Had a lovely career being aware of that. Some were not so lucky that weren’t “observant” of that fact.