Approved to Test...for what?...Need help!

Dear All,

I have just been approved to test the below subjects.

Now a little background.

[ul]
[li]I hold a UK Unlimited Master Mariners (Ocean-Going)[/li][li]I became a citizen (very proudly) 2 years ago.[/li][li]I submitted [B][U]all[/U][/B] my documentation to the USCG.[/li][li]After 1 year of working my way through the application process, I have been told by the NMC that I can test for a [B]Domestic Unlimited license?[/B][/li][li]They have told me they will not accept my current STCW qualifications as they were not USCG approved courses…i.e. they were British.[/li][li]I am 40 with 22 years at sea.[/li][li]I am currently Master of a Class 1 Passenger vessel, 40,000GRT with 1900 POB…so I do have experience…and of course all the qualifications.[/li][li]I checked my status for MMC online and the credential listed just says…”MMC”, okay but what type?[/li][li]Passing the exams below should not be a problem[/li][/ul]

Now…here are the questions:

[ul]
[li]What is a [B][U]domestic[/U][/B] unlimited license? (I assume it is the wrong terminology by the NMC licensing Officer?)[/li][li]Does the licensing Officer at the NMC mean Near Coastal?[/li][li]Are there any jobs for NC unlimited license[/li][li]How much is the below going to cost me?[/li][li]Am I going to have to sit all the USCG approved STCW…I assume so…[/li][li]Will I have to sit GMDSS again?[/li][li]Am I wasting my time and money? (note: I would like to have a USCG license as I do live here and it would mean being closer to my daughter) but…[/li][/ul]

Basically, can anyone help me because the lack of clear information or me not knowing the process has left me completely confused?

Your application for this credential was approved for applicant testing on XXXXX, 2013. Prior to issuance you will be required to pass the following examinations:

DECK GENERAL - PART A (70%)
DECK GENERAL - PART B (70%)
DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (70%)
NAVIGATION GENERAL (70%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - CHART PLOTTING (90%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - NEAR COASTAL (90%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - OCEANS (80%)
RULES OF THE ROAD (90%)
STABILITY (70%)

You will receive a letter from the National Maritime Center detailing the exam procedures.

[TR=“class: listItem”]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

After passing the tests you will be issued the license but will not get the STCW II/2. I assume you will have to re take all the classes to get the STCW part. In other words the license will be about useless.

[QUOTE=nathan72;98236]Dear All,

I have just been approved to test the below subjects.

Now a little background.

[ul]
[li]I hold a UK Unlimited Master Mariners (Ocean-Going)[/li][li]I became a citizen (very proudly) 2 years ago.[/li][li]I submitted [B][U]all[/U][/B] my documentation to the USCG.[/li][li]After 1 year of working my way through the application process, I have been told by the NMC that I can test for a [B]Domestic Unlimited license?[/B][/li][li]They have told me they will not accept my current STCW qualifications as they were not USCG approved courses…i.e. they were British.[/li][li]I am 40 with 22 years at sea.[/li][li]I am currently Master of a Class 1 Passenger vessel, 40,000GRT with 1900 POB…so I do have experience…and of course all the qualifications.[/li][li]I checked my status for MMC online and the credential listed just says…”MMC”, okay but what type?[/li][li]Passing the exams below should not be a problem[/li][/ul]

Now…here are the questions:

[ul]
[li]What is a [B][U]domestic[/U][/B] unlimited license? (I assume it is the wrong terminology by the NMC licensing Officer?)[/li][li]Does the licensing Officer at the NMC mean Near Coastal?[/li][li]Are there any jobs for NC unlimited license[/li][li]How much is the below going to cost me?[/li][li]Am I going to have to sit all the USCG approved STCW…I assume so…[/li][li]Will I have to sit GMDSS again?[/li][li]Am I wasting my time and money? (note: I would like to have a USCG license as I do live here and it would mean being closer to my daughter) but…[/li][/ul]

Basically, can anyone help me because the lack of clear information or me not knowing the process has left me completely confused?

Your application for this credential was approved for applicant testing on XXXXX, 2013. Prior to issuance you will be required to pass the following examinations:

DECK GENERAL - PART A (70%)
DECK GENERAL - PART B (70%)
DECK SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION (70%)
NAVIGATION GENERAL (70%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - CHART PLOTTING (90%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - NEAR COASTAL (90%)
NAVIGATION PROBLEMS - OCEANS (80%)
RULES OF THE ROAD (90%)
STABILITY (70%)

You will receive a letter from the National Maritime Center detailing the exam procedures.

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TR]
[/QUOTE]

REPLY: This is insane.

By the way, there is no good reason why the USCG should not let US mariners take higher quality and lower cost STCW courses in Canada and Europe. We have some good schools and STCW courses in the US, but some of the USCG approved “schools” and STCW “courses” are a pathetic joke.

You need to complete these assessment to earn your “international” license.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/pdfs/11-07.pdf

Nevermind your ‘old’ license. If you want the US license, you will test out for it. As noted without all the ‘approved’ STCW classes you will get the license, but it will be limited to ‘domestic’ waters. Upon completion of all the STCW you will get ‘upon oceans’ with no restrictions. Yes, you will have to to GMDSS again. ( unless you can show it was taken at a USCG approved facility.) Sorry.

This is one of those situations where hiring one of the license consultants to put everything in the proper form and negotiate with the NMC on your behalf might be worth its weight in gold.

MPT offers both USCG and MCA approved STCW courses; they would certainly be a helpful source of info. Watch out, or you may find yourself conscripted to teach at MPT.