Appointment of Safety Officer

Hi,
I had a discussion with a friend about safety officer, where i said that appointment of Safety officer can be carried out only by the company and master cannot decide who will be the safety officer on board, and he said that master can appoint safety officer anyone he thinks suitable.
Please can u tell me , what is right, as per the Legal aspects.
I also pointed him towards, COSWP Ch.-1 safety official.
Thanks

Quote from our SMS, “The Safety Officer is appointed by the Company through the master.” Check yours.

Every SMS is different, however, if the officer assigned to the duties through SMS is incapable of completing those duties, the master can do whatever he wants.

Tell the Captain that you are not going to do it an he can not make you. Make sure that you point out the reference that you posted. See what he says.

As far as my understanding goes , master can suggest , the company , if he wants to make someone as safety officer, but then i think its the company who has the final and legal authority to appoint a safety officer. Tell me if i am wrong, or does the master has discretionary power to make anyone as the safety officer whom he think is suitable.

[QUOTE=SeaSick;87647]Every SMS is different.[/QUOTE]

True. I was pointing out what one example said.

@oceanlearner - It sounds as if you are trying to find evidence to support your point of view in a personnel conflict of some sort. Your situation may have nuances that your very direct question does not take into account. Perhaps you could enlighten us with some more info?

[QUOTE=RichMadden;87655]True. I was pointing out what one example said.

@oceanlearner - It sounds as if you are trying to find evidence to support your point of view in a personnel conflict of some sort. Your situation may have nuances that your very direct question does not take into account. Perhaps you could enlighten us with some more info?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I haven’t the slightest clue of what Oceanlearner is really asking. Even the term “Safety Officer” is pretty vague, and could mean a few different things.

[video]http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:arc:video:spike.com:02b0a8e7-0a71-4dcd-aca9-01fc05b0d9da[/video]

Hi,
Sorry If my question was not clear, What i am trying to ask is who appoints "Safety Officer " on board ship. And does the Master has powers to appoint someone as safety officer on board ship, without having company permission.
I don’t think i can make it more simpler.
Thanks

Simple answer, that would depend on your companies policies. Read their SMS and that should tell you all you need to know. Different ships have different manning requirements, different job functions, and the job would vary widely in different parts of the industry. What do the duties of this "Safety Officer entail?

Most Likely I would Imagine the Company Appoints them through the captain. That means that the Master is still the one making the appointment. Everything the master does is really as a representative of the company.
Isn’t the Third usu the safety officer in the Blue water sector.

Deep sea, that has been my experience that it is the 3/M job. But, on the last of 3 trips on my last ship, they swapped duties between the 2/M and 3/M. I would guess that if the Captain “suggested” it, the company is pretty much going to go along regardless of procedure.

The person doing the safety inspections isn’t always the safety officer.

On a ship which the 3rd is the safety officer and the 2nd is the security officer.