New to forum

Hi folks, I found you guys while researching MSC. I’m thinking of applying for a position as a Medical Service Officer and there really isn’t much info out there on the position so I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I have over 19 yrs experience as a physician assistant and over 5 yrs of that has been taking care of personnel in remote and austere environments but no sea service. Some questions I have are:

• Which ship types have MSOs assigned? I can guess that it’s the ones with larger crews but suspect some vessels require them due to mission types.
  • Do MSOs take on additional duties outside of the medical department? (I don’t know what they might be)
  • I like learning about what you guys do, it helps me understand any unique medical issues you occupation may have. Do you (any of you, any department) mind having someone visit your dept/work station and hang out asking questions? (I always try to make sure I’m not interfering)
  • What is your impression of the quality of shipboard MSOs in general?
    If you’re an MSO or feel you have more than the normal understanding of how the dept works feel free to PM me. I’d really appreciate being able to ask specific job related questions. I’d really appreciate input from any of you about what you think might help me understand what working on an MSC ship entails. I’ve read every thread posted on MSC and appreciate you guys being so communicative.

Regards,

Sharkbait

P.S. I attempted to start a new thread on this earlier and it never showed up. I don’t know if I hit the wrong button or if new threads get reviewed before posting. If this is redundant I apologize in advance. AND I promise to now go and read the FAQs on this forum!