App Mate of Tow seeking training

Have my apprentice mate of towing license (inland, western rivers, and near coastal) looking for a company or individual that I could deck for and be trained by. I am respectful, hard working, fast learning, loyal, courteous, and would like to begin training soon. I know of some smaller companies that are already willing to train me, but the pay is very low and it isn’t exactly the type of work I am looking for. I will take it if this post goes unanswered. Thank you all.

You are gonna have to go on deck and let the captain earn your trust. No one hires steersmen just to train them

Try Signet out of Ingleside or Pascagoula.

[QUOTE=DEL-J;64205]I know of some smaller companies that are already willing to train me, but the pay is very low and it isn’t exactly the type of work I am looking for. I will take it if this post goes unanswered.[/QUOTE]
If you look around this forum, I believe you will find many (and I mean probably around 100 or so) guys who have brought up this question.

BUT, yours is the first that I recall that actually infers you HAVE a job (albeit low paying) that will get you the training! GO man, GO get it, NOW. Remember you have a position that pays MONEY to get experience. Appreciate that! Once you HAVE the full license in hand and have some experience you can be picky about how much money you want, or where you want to work.

Also, make sure you are going to work for a company that actually has DEs at your Captain. A signed TOAR MUST be signed by a DE. Not every Captain is a DE. DE = Designated Examiner.

I agree with the poster above. Take any job you can to get your TOAR signed.

I have heard of people having to work for free for a week to get a TOAR signed, and they pay the DE on top of it. The apprentice mate program needs to be looked at again in my opinion.

Not just your opinion!

Try bouchard

try donjon and ask to get on with a captain that has the paperwork to sign off your toar. Ab are paid $300/day

Thank you all for your input. I had a training thing going for a while, but in a moment of poor judgement, I quit the company that was training me. Anyway, now I have a new question regarding how I will acquire my sea time letter from said company that I will post on a new thread.

[QUOTE=DEL-J;118866]Thank you all for your input. I had a training thing going for a while, but in a moment of poor judgement, I quit the company that was training me. Anyway, now I have a new question regarding how I will acquire my sea time letter from said company that I will post on a new thread.[/QUOTE]

I suggest you beg or bribe or both

Ditto. I agree wholeheartedly. You have the job. Work it until you are fully licensed. Be absolutely positive that the person signing your TOAR is a DE.

Too late. I quit that job. I heard they may take me back, but I would be kind of ashamed and embarrassed to go ask for my job back as things are right now. However, I did get some experience there and am in the process of finishing my TOAR. Once it is finished, I think Ali have left is radar. However, even though I will have the license, I am not confident enough in my experience to be a western rivers pilot, but my guess is that once I HAVE the license, then it will be much easier to find a company that will train me. Am I correct in my hypothesis?