Anyone taken Master 500/1600 lately?

Hi all-

Getting ready to upgrade from unlimited 3rd mate to Master 1600. Can anyone who has taken this exam recently give me some insight on what to expect? Specifically relating to Deck General and Deck Safety. What is it heavy on? What is there none of/ more of? Having mostly been running tugs it’s been about 15 years since I’ve cracked open a CFR or done a stability calculation. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Look at 46 CFR Table 10.910. Everything that is checked under Master 1600 that is not checked for 3rd Mate or 2nd Mate is on the test.

Can anyone who has TAKEN this exam recently advise me on what to concentrate on the most? Suprises? Areas not to bother with because there’s only one question, etc.

Thanks

You don’t need to get too in depth on stability. If you have a basic understanding of the concepts & definitions you should be ok.

You could always take a CAP course at Mid-Atlantic. They have a 98% pass rate for people who take there cap courses before taking there exam at the REC. From what I understand, Navigation is everyone biggest killer.

Lighten up on the advertising!

[QUOTE=Robert;44940]Lighten up on the advertising![/QUOTE]

I have no idea what this means.

Thank you to others who have responded

[QUOTE=jdcavo;44903]Look at 46 CFR Table 10.910. Everything that is checked under Master 1600 that is not checked for 3rd Mate or 2nd Mate is on the test.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand that table. Can you elaborate?

I’m trying to study for the 1600 Master test and I’m finding it exceedingly difficult just discerning what I need to know. Some of my friends were required to take the Rules test again and some parts of the PDF files for the NMC indicate that, as well; but my letter from the USCG says I need to take “011X1” which - according to them - is Deck General and Deck Safety. According to Lapware, however, 011X1 includes Nav General.

Help?