Master 1600 O/C UP-GRADING TO 3RD MATE

Is there anything differant about the Terrestrial Module I should know about? are there tide and current questions on the Mate version or anything differant then on the Master? I took the Master version about 5 years ago. Any imput on the exam would help. I plan on taking it in Houston or New Orleans.

Terrestrial is virtually the same no worries there, but there are no ETA problems on the Mates test.
Keep in mind that on an upper level test if you fail three or more modules you must retest everything, I would recommend testing for NC first, and returning at a later date to test for Celestial.
They are now also enforcing the exam guide rule that if you fail two tests they must be retaken the same day.
Deck Safety seems to be the hardest of the 70 per centers , be familiar with he Salmon pages of he stability guide, and be familiar with how to look up info in the CFR’s.
As someone mentioned on another thread the Rules of the road questions have been reworded somewhat, but of course are the same rules , so read them carefully .
Plotting is straightforward, just luck of the draw which test you receive.
Good luck, Let us know how it goes !

Thanks for the info, I did have them take the Celestial module off my exam, due to the fact I’m so busy offshore. I have spoke to Mates that up-graded from OSV Mate to 3rd with no additional testing and they didn’t even know what the Salmon pages were. I guess I’m having a hard time figuring out why I have to test for things I’ve been found competent for in the past. At any rate thank you for your advice.

I understand, I’ve seen the same thing.
There are no questions on the Salmon pages for OSV Mates, but they let them cross over to 3rd.
Just another one of those weird quirks from NMC.
Just pays to be prepared.
One of the deck Safety tests has about fifteen stability questions, some of the others as few as 2 or 3…
Luck of the draw I guess, with my luck guess which one I got…
;o)

Yea, I’ve got that kinda luck to. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Capt Leigh;71403]I understand, I’ve seen the same thing.
There are no questions on the Salmon pages for OSV Mates, but they let them cross over to 3rd.
Just another one of those weird quirks from NMC.
Just pays to be prepared.
One of the deck Safety tests has about fifteen stability questions, some of the others as few as 2 or 3…
Luck of the draw I guess, with my luck guess which one I got…
;o)[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what the “salmon pages” are. BUT at the same time the mate 500/1600 exams were made the same as the 3rd mate/2nd mate (2/1/2002) the mate OSV exams were also made to be the same – soon exam for mate OSV to 3rd mate just like there is no exam for mate 500 or 1600 to 3rd mate.

Sir, the whole idea of a 1600 Mate going to 3rd with no additional testing is BULL #%#$@^. I’d like the USCG to show me as a Master what I didn’t TEST for the first time. I tested after 2002.

For one, 1600 master test does not have tide/current problems in terrestrial nav or on the chart…not many differences though.

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;71480]Sir, the whole idea of a 1600 Mate going to 3rd with no additional testing is BULL #%#$@^. I’d like the USCG to show me as a Master what I didn’t TEST for the first time. I tested after 2002.[/QUOTE]
Look at 46 CFR Table 11.910. Everything that is checked as required for 3rd Mate or 2nd Mate that is not checked for Master 500/1600 is everything you have not been tested on. If your progression to Master 500/1600 did not include testing for MATE 500/1600 after 1/31/02, then you have not tested for thi stuff.

Ok, so there are a few things, but is it really necessary to have to take all 7 modules again… 3RD MATES O/C go to 1600 O/C Master with ONE limited exam that they can score a 70% on. Just doesn’t add up for the Masters. At any rate I’ll pass what ever the USCG puts in front of me. Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a Mate of Towing license? If you do, look into the 500 Master checklist…3 modules instead of 7, then upgrade to 1600 on time. Just a thought.

Oh really?? Do tell more because im am stressing on having to take 7. 3 would be much easier. Do you have a link or can you tell me what modules? Im guessing rules, chart nav, and??

Check the deck exam guide. It will tell you the test modules you would need, and also look at the checklist it will have the sea service requirements for MOT upgrade.

When I tested for 1600 Master I had Master of Tow and only had to test three modules. They were Rules of the Road, Deck General and Deck Safety. But these were not the 1600 ton versions of these test. I was told that they were the Chief Mate Unlimited versions of these test. That was the case for me going from 200 ton Master NC to 1600 ton Master NC. Later I took an approved Celestial class that was 2 weeks long and then NMC added Oceans to my license.

I just got off the phone with the NMC. They said you must already hold a Master of towing before you can take the 3 module test for 500 Master. I guess in my case ill wait until i have the time for the master of towing and if my letter to test runs out ill apply for a new one.

Get the 500/1600 checklist off the sticky tab of the 500 master upgrade section of this site. It defines the path, and contradicts what you have been told. I would recommend using an advocate like Andy Hammond to deal with the NMC. His fee will spare you lots of BS.
FWIW, I have an approval to test for the 500 Master (3 module) based on this regulation, up from my Mate (pilot) of Towing Oceans.
Best regards,

You are right. I wonder how they can get things so mixed up? You would think they would know their own requirements.

I already have a Master 1600 O/C, I’ve been approved to test for the 3RD Unlimited. I’m having to test for all 7 modules. I tested after 2002.

I had to test all seven and do assessments to go from 1600 master to 3rd mate too. Same/ same. The difference too me was well worth not having to take all the OICNW classes that they used to require, even for 500 mate. I did not stop at mate 500/1600, so didn’t take the mate’s test before then. I’m calling it all good practice for the CMM test!

You tested for what after 2002? The master 1600 exam is different from the 1600 mate exam and does not count towards the 2m exam.