Anybody ever work for Global?

I have a 3 week engineering relief with them coming up soon and this will be my 1st GOM trip. All I’ve done to this point is deep sea and I’m just wondering what to expect. It’s on one of the dive support vessels and looks like a good ship. I read the thread on no knives, but anything else to not bring? I also have about 5 months worth of beard going, any regs on looking like a dirtbag? :smiley:

Which vessel are you going on? I can tell you about the Global Pioneer…

The Orion. I’m just excited to get back out, starting to feel like I have a real life going here and that’s scary.

if you look like a dirt-bag (your words), odds are you’ll fit in pretty well with those GOM guys. lots of them pride themselves on being called “BOAT TRASH”, then wonder why they end up getting screwed out of bonuses, pay raises, etc by managment. duh.
have fun. dive support work ROCKS. I’m doing it as we speak.

I think my old bosun is on there:) Tell Scott “Radar” says hi…

[quote=richard8000milesaway;24280]if you look like a dirt-bag (your words), odds are you’ll fit in pretty well with those GOM guys. lots of them pride themselves on being called “BOAT TRASH”, then wonder why they end up getting screwed out of bonuses, pay raises, etc by managment. duh.
have fun. dive support work ROCKS. I’m doing it as we speak.[/quote]

I resemble that remark…

Which barge is it that Wayvell(sp) Kirkonnel captains? I met a few of his crew when I was taking PSC Lifeboatman class last month. Coincidentally, I drove crewboats in '07-'09 with his younger brother Robert.

Talked to my contact today. The beard is ok, and less than 50 lbs of gear for the helicopter ride. I don’t bring that much junk anyway so should be in good shape. Head out wed for SafeGulf and HUET, thanks for all the info. I’ll look for your buddy OS.

[QUOTE=richard8000milesaway;24280]if you look like a dirt-bag (your words), odds are you’ll fit in pretty well with those GOM guys. lots of them pride themselves on being called “BOAT TRASH”, then wonder why they end up getting screwed out of bonuses, pay raises, etc by managment. duh.
have fun. dive support work ROCKS. I’m doing it as we speak.[/QUOTE]

Boat Trash pride themselves on being called “Boat Trash,” not “GOM” guys. Scumbags are everywhere in every industry. Dirtiest guy I ever worked with was a Blue water Super Bos’n, but he was a hard worker and I still respected him. Every time I come to this board there is an East or West Coast cry-baby on here looking for work. Last time I looked there was no recession in Houma or Galliano Louisiana. I am not on here disparaging other segments of the industry, but it seems to me that there is a lot of animosity and or jealousy towards the oil-patch. If it’s not for you then leave it be, no need to run down another man’s career. Oh and I almost forgot, dive-support is great for worms who like to hang out at the dock, or on a four-point anchor spread, and enjoy seeing other men take open air showers.

[quote=richard8000milesaway;24280]if you look like a dirt-bag (your words), odds are you’ll fit in pretty well with those GOM guys. lots of them pride themselves on being called “BOAT TRASH”, then wonder why they end up getting screwed out of bonuses, pay raises, etc by managment. duh.

Nothing like watching a butt naked diver get out of the chamber and clean his crack out with a garden hose, eh…Richard?

I worked for Global when it was Global Divers, before the name was changed to Global Industries. I worked on the Global Diver 210, while it caught on fire with divers in SAT @ 650 FSW. Not a good situation. After that, the name was changed to the Sea Lion, and I think it ran aground with guys in SAT and the boat was scrapped. That’s about all I know.

and then powder…:smiley:

How did a nice alabama girl like you make it to florida?

Learned long time ago didn’t want to wait 'til retirement to get out of the cold :cool: :D:D:D

Sounds to me, like we need more woman divers

I work occasionally on the Global Orion. It is a very nice ship and recently had 2 very good captains and I know at least one of the chiefs is very good too. I have not met the other (latest) chief yet.