Any Guidance for the Deep Sea guys going to Drill Rig (Ship) direct?

Also, you can try to go foreign on DP Shuttle tankers, for some of the mates and engineers with Tankerman PIC. That is also a way to move over to drilling eventually.

I’m in the same situation. I’ve got a 2M AGT, upon oceans with a Limited DP license (DP1). I need 60 days on a DP2 or higher to remove the limitation. I’ve applied to all of the drilling players and not gotten any call backs. It’s discouraging.

And what positions have you applied for? Try other areas, instead of drilling. Or take a drop in position, to get your time.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;112810]And what positions have you applied for? Try other areas, instead of drilling. Or take a drop in position, to get your time.[/QUOTE]

I’ve applied to every JDPO/ADPO position I could find! I have talked to one company about a Bosun’s berth aboard a drill ship. Have you known any DPO to advance from the deck into the wheelhouse?

I am looking now at other types of vessels.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;112811]I’ve applied to every JDPO/ADPO position I could find! I have talked to one company about a Bosun’s berth aboard a drill ship. Have you known any DPO to advance from the deck into the wheelhouse?[/QUOTE]

Yes plenty I know have advanced from deck mates and AB positions. Most drilling companies now want qualified ADPO’s, hence they want you to have a DP Certificate in hand already.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;112812]Yes plenty I know have advanced from deck mates and AB positions. Most drilling companies now want qualified ADPO’s, hence they want you to have a DP Certificate in hand already.[/QUOTE]

Good copy. I’ll keep on plugging away.

OP, sorry for the thread jack.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;112813]Good copy. I’ll keep on plugging away.

OP, sorry for the thread jack.[/QUOTE]

Try the construction, pipe lay, accomodation vessel companies, dredging (DP) companies, Dive, Wind Farm (some are DP-all foreign vessels). All of these areas have DP vessels, also will have Mates, and some of these areas, the companies may allow someone with DP basic into a JDPO spot, or even other qualified mates without DP to join and get the necessary training. Don’t be tunnel visioned on the US and GOM, search worldwide.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;112814]Try the construction, pipe lay, accomodation vessel companies, dredging (DP) companies, Dive, Wind Farm (some are DP-all foreign vessels). All of these areas have DP vessels, also will have Mates, and some of these areas, the companies may allow someone with DP basic into a JDPO spot, or even other qualified mates without DP to join and get the necessary training. Don’t be tunnel visioned on the US and GOM, search worldwide.[/QUOTE]

I do have a full DP license albeit a limited one issued by the Nautical Institute. (oxymoron?) I thought that would put me in front of the pack when I started applying to drilling companies but apparently not.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe foreign is the way to go. I’ll be sure to keep the board posted.

I have found the drillships are similar to pilot groups. Regardless of your quals they do not want people too long in the tooth.

Great thread guys. PDCMate, you’re always a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Thanks to the other contributors as well.

[QUOTE=cajuntugster;112824]I have found the drillships are similar to pilot groups. Regardless of your quals they do not want people too long in the tooth.[/QUOTE]

Not true.I know some 55-63 year old guys that were hired within the last year. They were highly qualified licensed guys and at this point some of these companies just need a license to meet manning. Where some of the older guys screw up and have their resume put in the round file before it is ever reviewed is they brag about having 25+years of experience when 10 years is plenty. Not a good idea to put down 25 years for several reasons. Age discrimination goes on for one thing and some may think the more experienced guy may not be adaptable.

[QUOTE=tengineer;112847]Not true.I know some 55-63 year old guys that were hired within the last year. They were highly qualified licensed guys and at this point some of these companies just need a license to meet manning. Where some of the older guys screw up and have their resume put in the round file before it is ever reviewed is they brag about having 25+years of experience when 10 years is plenty. Not a good idea to put down 25 years for several reasons. Age discrimination goes on for one thing and some may think the more experienced guy may not be adaptable.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Plus some of the companies (Transocean especially) will bring in older guys with Chief Mate and Master tickets, place them in a two year training program, where they can get the DP and the Rig operations down, and then place them in permanent positions as CM or Master.

I have been networking with friends in the industry and filling out applications to practically every drilling company out there. It has been tough as I have heard nothing back in the last month that I have been trying to get on a drill ship. I have my Second engineer steam and motor vessels unlimited, third assistant gas turbine unlimited, Tankerman PIC, five years experience on tankers with a range of different plants. I am not adverse to working as a 3rd A/E or Motorman. I know I have to put my time in and would rather have it that way so I get to know the vessels. There is good advice here. Any other tips and tricks that might be good to pass on to us engineers in particular?

[QUOTE=highseasmechanic;112853]I have been networking with friends in the industry and filling out applications to practically every drilling company out there. It has been tough as I have heard nothing back in the last month that I have been trying to get on a drill ship. I have my Second engineer steam and motor vessels unlimited, third assistant gas turbine unlimited, Tankerman PIC, five years experience on tankers with a range of different plants. I am not adverse to working as a 3rd A/E or Motorman. I know I have to put my time in and would rather have it that way so I get to know the vessels. There is good advice here. Any other tips and tricks that might be good to pass on to us engineers in particular?[/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind me asking, which companies and what positions have you applied for highseasmechanic?

Same here. Been applying but no response yet. Heck I’ll start as a dish washer to get my foot in the door.

I have applied for Third Assistant Engineer, Engine Room Operator, Motorman, Engine Room Responsible, Second Assistant Engineer (I figured might as well) with Atwood Oceanics, Vantage Drilling, Noble Drilling, Transocean, Maersk Drilling, Ensco, Pacific Drilling, Ocean Rig, and Seadrill. I have no qualms about working hard and learning a new ship and proving myself.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;112854]If you don’t mind me asking, which companies and what positions have you applied for highseasmechanic?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=highseasmechanic;112865]I have applied for Third Assistant Engineer, Engine Room Operator, Motorman, Engine Room Responsible, Second Assistant Engineer (I figured might as well) with Atwood Oceanics, Vantage Drilling, Noble Drilling, Transocean, Maersk Drilling, Ensco, Pacific Drilling, Ocean Rig, and Seadrill. I have no qualms about working hard and learning a new ship and proving myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you have been around the block. Try Next: Jasper Drilling (older equipment, but its a stepping company), Stena Drilling, Odfjell, Sevan (they have a rig coming to the GOM, next year, the Sevan Louisiana).

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;112876]Yeah, you have been around the block. Try Next: Jasper Drilling (older equipment, but its a stepping company), Stena Drilling, Odfjell, Sevan (they have a rig coming to the GOM, next year, the Sevan Louisiana).[/QUOTE]

I would much rather be on a drill ship or semi-sub, however would it be wise to take a job working a supply boat for a few hitches to get my HUET and other certificates?

[QUOTE=highseasmechanic;112950]I would much rather be on a drill ship or semi-sub, however would it be wise to take a job working a supply boat for a few hitches to get my HUET and other certificates?[/QUOTE]

Anyway you can get more certificates and experience, and will set your resume apart from the next guy that doesn’t have it, will help you out just a bit more. So, yes, it would be wise and could help out in the near future. Just keep hounding the recruiters, use linkedin to put yourself out there and start using every means to contact them.

Anyone try spending a few days in Houston knocking on the doors of these companies?