Drill ship roustabout job

Hey everyone,

I’ve been looking into getting a job as a roustabout on a drill ship with the hope of moving up the chain. I have a college degree but not related to this field. My goal is to get to a 3rd in the engine room and continue forward. From what I gather I just need to get onto a ship and then start talking training on my off time to get qualified to advance. Can I move from a roustabout to a qmed or would i have to become a wiper? Can I switch from the oil side to the maritime side like that? Also wondering what is a realistic time frame I’m looking at for this. There is a lot of info out there and licenses requirements and they have really gotten me confused. Any help with helping me get a better understanding of the path/ process I need to take is greatly appreciated.