Another Houston Area Option

I just read an article in yesterday’s Houston Chronicle about San Jacinto College’s new maritime program. Looks to be more for those with existing MMDs. . . .

http://www.sanjac.edu/continuing-professional-development/corporate-and-workforce/maritime

But does this program substitute class time for sea time? Went to the website and it’s not clear it is anything but the regular professional school, not a maritime college.

It lists what courses are offered on the site. But yes it’s the same type of courses that are offered at any maritime training school. Stuff like BST, AB, Limited level upgrades, etc. if you read the courses it tells you if sea time is a requirement in the description.

Actually they also have a 2 year AS degree in Maritime transportation. That’s a pretty good option but it doesn’t say what license you get at the end of it. It’s a new program so it might not be fully developed yet, but the Associates degree programs at the State Maritime Academies give you a 1600T license.

Classes on their web site look similar to L E Fletcher and Young Memorial. And they have ECDIS for $1,000.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;177117]…the Associates degree programs at the State Maritime Academies give you a 1600T license.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, the only Associate degree option from a state maritime academy I know of where you get a 1600 ton license is SUNY.

Thanks for the clarification. I know SUNY’s program but I assumed the other SMAs offered roughly the same.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;177156]Thanks for the clarification. I know SUNY’s program but I assumed the other SMAs offered roughly the same.[/QUOTE]

The only other academy I’m aware of that offers an associates degree option is Maine Maritime, which comes with a 200 ton license.