Another 500 ton school question

I am working 10 weeks then going to school for the 500 ton prep class. which is better mpt or fletcher?
And will i be able to test the day after school if i study real hard?OR is there a better school? I did get a study disc from capt joes so i will be studying that before i go to school in september.Thanks How many days does it take to test? I do test well so I’m hopeing to do it in 2 days. Is that possible?

I went to Fletcher, Capt Bruce is excellent.If you go to Fletcher, I wouldn’t spend any time on the terrestrial stuff on capt joe’s because Capt Bruce teaches it a different way, a lot easier. He will tell you when your ready to test, listen to him.Get your ROR down pat before you you start, Capt Joe’s helped me on ROR ,deck and nav general.

I went to Fletcher. It worked out well for me. That being said it all depends on your schedule. I know some who studied it all on their own and then took the test and passed it on the first try. I would never have figured terrestrial out on my own. I know a few that went to MPT for 2 weeks and passed I don’t know any that failed. I know I took longer than 2 weeks at Fletcher but I did not have to pay for housing and it just worked for me. I think if I had to do it again and I had to pay for lodging I would go for the more structured MPT program. Or I would study the disks on my own go test fail Terrestrial and then go to Fletcher just to study Terrestrial. Keep in mind Fletcher has a self passed curriculum. Bruce hands you a piece of paper explains what to do on it. Then you go sit down and work through it then walk back up to his desk and ask for the next step. No real structure lunch as long as you want show up and leave when you want. If you are motivated you can make it work for you and Bruce knows his stuff. Their is a reason he got the nick name of “Pope”.

If you want my suggestion study everything you have. Go sit for the test and see what you pass. Then if you don’t pass a section go to either Fletcher or MPT. If you live in LA go to Fletcher test at the REC in NOLA if you live in FL go to MPT test in Miami. If you live closer to another REC test at it and then see if anyone around you teaches whatever you need to study.

Tom

YA i have to pay for hotel both places so thats not a issue.I think i really need the structer that mpt offers.I’m taking off 4 weeks to go to class and test.

Before you decide, look up George and James at Quality Maritime in St. Petersburg. They are a great deal cheaper than MPT. Took the 500 ton prep class with Celestial and passed. Took me appox. 6 weeks. Tested in Miami. No matter where you go, just be prepared to study at school and continue to study at home at night. That simple. You’ll be tired of studying, but it is worth it.

I went to fletcher last year for my mate 500 ton NC, I spent 14 days minus 4 days for weekends because theres no class on saturday and sunday so, I studied on my own on weekends…spent 6 days in terrestrial and 4 days in Chart Plotting then took the test the next Monday and Tuesday…but before I went there I studied all the memorization subject for a month like RoR, Deck General, Nav. General and Rules on a software that came from fletcher . Good thing that Im a fast learner and good in numbers, You going to know it if your ready for the test…Capt. Bruce is an excellent teacher and his step by step procedure is very effective…I did not encounter any questions on the test that gives me a problem. I had a little background on terrestrial and chart plotting…and I believed two weeks total for the two subjects is very good because I see a lot of student and co-workers studied those subjects for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Captain Bruce is the man. There is not a lot of structure to his class however it does work. I will not say that anyone owes there license to him but I bet they will say they could not have done it without him. I would recommend him to anyone.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;53332]Before you decide, look up George and James at Quality Maritime in St. Petersburg. They are a great deal cheaper than MPT. Took the 500 ton prep class with Celestial and passed. Took me appox. 6 weeks. Tested in Miami. No matter where you go, just be prepared to study at school and continue to study at home at night. That simple. You’ll be tired of studying, but it is worth it.[/QUOTE]

George was in the Navy with my father there is noone better.