Preparing for my 500 ton master

I have completed all my required courses and am now ready to start preparing my self for the 500 ton masters exam. I am working a 28/14 schedule right now am working as a crew boat capt. I have lots of down time at the dock and could really devote some serious time studying. What I need is the material to do so . I have read many people say they studied things that were not on the test. Trying to avoid this as much as possible, I was looking for suggestions on what is the best material and were I can get it from. I am considering going to fletcher if I have modules I am struggling with. I have taken all of my courses within the last year so I am current with most of the topics there. I am good with plotting thus far but nit sure what is required on this test. I also understand the terrstrial portion can be tricky. I have a strong math skills so I really need to get the info and see what I can do with it. I am looking for any and all suggestions on what and were to get material coming so I will be ready to start studying when I get to the house in a week.

Lapware.org or hawsepipe.net

Get a copy of Bowditch and get your ass to Capt. Bruce at Fletcher. If for nothing else to learn terrestrial. What he doesn’t tech you Bowditch will.

You can try and lean terrestrial on your own, and if your really good at math you might actually be successful. For a lot of us though with out somebody to show us in English what Bowditch is trying to say it would have been impossible.

Have you had a chance to go through the Master 500 GRT upgrade subforum? Lot of good info there.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;69083]Get a copy of Bowditch and get your ass to Capt. Bruce at Fletcher. If for nothing else to learn terrestrial. What he doesn’t tech you Bowditch will.

You can try and lean terrestrial on your own, and if your really good at math you might actually be successful. For a lot of us though with out somebody to show us in English what Bowditch is trying to say it would have been impossible.[/QUOTE]
I tried looking up bowditch, I found a book practical navigation by Bowditch, is that what you are referring too?
Also if I go the fletcher route with Capt. Bruce, do they have material to send you to study all of the modules, I would like to go over everything. Before I get into searching for another source or is everything from fletcher done at fletcher? Reason for asking is I live in Fla. so it would be nice to do some self study first so I would have a good understanding of it before I make the trip to see him.
Or is there somewhere else I should look for the other material?

The “Bowditch” they are referring to is called The American Practical Navigator by Nathaniel Bowditch.

Houston has a prep kit on like old floppy disk a buddy of mine had got. Used it a little myself and found it helpful. Think he said it was like $2k though if they even still offer it.

They gave you the floppy drive you.

Ok so I have ordered a set of the Murphy’s books and have them coming. I don’t have any experience with them however and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are good for learning the material or more just a good reference source? I am also getting a prep flash drive from a company called Thomas Marine. I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with them.
Would the Bowtach book still be worth while? Or does the Murphy book have the same info? Or what are it’s advantages of the botwatch compared to the Murphy’s. Also I wanted to ask more about the fletcher route. Do you guys know if they send you there own study material for home/boat study or is it mainly learn while you are there type place?

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;69083]Get a copy of Bowditch and get your ass to Capt. Bruce at Fletcher. If for nothing else to learn terrestrial. What he doesn’t tech you Bowditch will.

You can try and lean terrestrial on your own, and if your really good at math you might actually be successful. For a lot of us though with out somebody to show us in English what Bowditch is trying to say it would have been impossible.[/QUOTE]
Quick question on the Bowtach, does it matter which addition? What year?

[QUOTE=Chrisdaniel;69112]Quick question on the Bowtach, does it matter which addition? What year?[/QUOTE]

The latetest edition of Bowditch is all in one volume and is available online from NGA as a free download.
The former edition of Bowditch was in 2 volumes and unless things have changed, volume II (tables with explanations and a glossary) is in the testing room for reference during exams.

Bowditch is THE reference book, Murphy’s are the test question pools with correct answers marked.

I’m using Capt Joe’s and Hawsepipe, hated Lapware and without Internet access is was useless to me…just my opinion.

When I used Lapware, they had all the USCG questions of each Nav plot tests that could be administered. Lapware had each answer and even photo screen shots of the chart with the answers. Not sure if that is the case now as the coast guard has changed a lot of the questions. Also when I upgraded a couple years ago, the examiner told me they are planning on making the Nav plot exams on a touch screen computer in the future, believe it or not. That is ridiculous.

[QUOTE=Chrisdaniel;69111]Ok so I have ordered a set of the Murphy’s books and have them coming. I don’t have any experience with them however and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are good for learning the material or more just a good reference source? I am also getting a prep flash drive from a company called Thomas Marine. I don’t know if anyone here is familiar with them.
Would the Bowtach book still be worth while? Or does the Murphy book have the same info? Or what are it’s advantages of the botwatch compared to the Murphy’s. Also I wanted to ask more about the fletcher route. Do you guys know if they send you there own study material for home/boat study or is it mainly learn while you are there type place?[/QUOTE]

If you don’t know what Bowditch is, you’re probably going to need more than the Murphy books and other similar prep material, they assume you already know the basics and need to practice. It sounds like you need to learn the material first. The suggestion to take a course is a good one.

Capt. Bruce gives you all the materiel you can take with you. In fact to buy Murphy of any other test prep materiel is unnecessary as he gives you the same same bank of questions to study on your own that are found every ware else. You can thank the freedom of information act for that one. Except with him you if you have a problem and are on the boat or at home you can call him up while he’s teaching in class and he will help you over the phone. Even though the cost of $1000 might seem expensive, you will have access to Capt. Bruce for a year, and it will probably be the best money you spent trying to upgrade.

Capt. Bruce’s class is self paced. He gives you something to work on you go do it on your own. When you run into a problem you go stand in line by his desk and wait your turn to talk to him. When he gets to you he will give you one on one attention till you figure out how to do what ever and then you go sit back down till you finish the section or run into another problem.

Stuff like rules of the road, deck general, and deck safety you can study on your own. The two that he really helps most people out on are Terrestrial and Charting and Plotting. I recommend to most people to give your self a good 2 week block to get through terrestrial when you first go see him. After that every time you get off spend a day or two in class till your ready.

If you work for a Louisiana company, they can send a check to Fletcher for you and you would get the resident cost of tuition…
About $600.00…
Also gives you one full year to study there with Cptain Bruce, so no hurry…
Absolutely the best bargain in maritime education around…
Just my 2 cents YMMV…

I went to Fletcher w/ my mate and recently Master review, I spent 6 days taking up terrestrial because I still have my Mate old reviewer…passed all my test with one take…4 modules Monday
then 2 Modules Tuesday…I’m not very good in Math but I know how to use the Scientific Calculator and know how to scramble formulas…Don’t waste your time & money buying books and other
materials. All you have to do is get in to Fletcher, Capt. Bruce will teach you to solve the problems & tell you exactly all you need to know what’s on the test…Also, you got to hurry up because he is really considering retirement…well, that’s from what he was saying…There’s a lot of tricks on the test that it will take time for you to self study unless, you know people that came from Fletcher review and going to teach you…Everyone that went to Fletcher w/ Capt. Bruce knows exactly what I’m talking about…the man is smart to the highest level.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;69113]The latetest edition of Bowditch is all in one volume and is available online from NGA as a free download.
The former edition of Bowditch was in 2 volumes and unless things have changed, volume II (tables with explanations and a glossary) is in the testing room for reference during exams.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. Only Vol. II of Bowditch is allowed in the exam room.

[QUOTE=Robert;69157]That is correct. Only Vol. II of Bowditch is allowed in the exam room.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like the consensus is just call fletcher get a hold of capt Bruce and go from there would be my best bet. I will try to get a hold of him in the morming and go from there. Seems like he will tell me everything I need to know