Preparing for my 500 ton master

[QUOTE=Chrisdaniel;69173]Sounds like the consensus is just call fletcher get a hold of capt Bruce and go from there would be my best bet. I will try to get a hold of him in the morming and go from there. Seems like he will tell me everything I need to know[/QUOTE]Capt Bruce is the way to go!!! Everyone that has gone to him, loves him.I had a guy that stayed here for 12 days in March and worked on “terrestrial navigation” and all of the math problems with Capt Bruce.He took his 500 tons test 2 weeks, ago and passed.Claudette

Get a copy of Bowditch and get your ass to Capt

L&G
Please understand that it is not required that supply your own copy of Bowditch while attending Captain Bruce’s courses. He will provide you with everything you need with the exception of a calculator and navigation tools. I just spoke with the Captain and he asked me to let everyone know this information.

If you live near Houston, go to Houston Exam Prep… They will walk you through everything, just Fletcher, and to test you simply go up one floor to the REC. You will also save on the hotel room, offsetting the initial enrollment fee.
If not, Fletcher would be your best bet!

As far as the pubs the REC uses, go to marine education textbooks web page and order them. They help for home study, they will help for years to come… They also have training charts… Get at least two of each!

I bought the murphy books not worth it. I went to fletcher and Capt. Bruce walked me through it all. I spent a total of 20 days in class with him spread out over 3 months and passed the test. I did buy some reference material so I could study the terrestrial at home. If I was going to do it again I would get some graph paper a good mechanical pencil and a couple erasers then show up @ fletcher. Then as you go you will end up buying what you need to study and Bruce will give you most of it. If you work for a LA based company talk them in to paying for it to save you 400 dollars even if you have to first cut a check to the company you work for for 600. Then spend the couple days before crew change with Bruce and the couple days after crew change with him. He only works half a day on Friday so that gives you from 11am until whatever to get home to momma.

Just my 2 cents.

Captain Bruce, Fletcher Technical Community College,has closed the enrollment to his Master/Mate 500/1600 and 3rd/2nd Mate classes until 01 August 2012. His classroom is currently wall-to-wall with Mariners trying to obtain an upgrade or an original license. The administration has asked him reduce his class size.
I rue the day that he retires.

Wow! It would be nice if their was a similar place in the mid atlantic. I could go to mid atlantic here in va beach but its a 4 week class and i cant afford to take 2 whole weeks off.

Seaschool in Bayou Labatre.

Give Quality Maritime Training a call. They’re in St.Pete. George is the man for all topics on the exams.

When did sea school start a class for 500/1600 ton N/C and oceans?

I knew they had one for 500 inland, but I don’t know how close that that is to the offshore stuff.

Most schools that I’ve seen offering 500/1600T classes are just prep courses for testing at an REC. Some I’ve found offer a week prep with an instructor, which would allow mariners some flexibility with scheduling and work commitments.

Sent from my PiratePhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=tillettso;69670]Most schools that I’ve seen offering 500/1600T classes are just prep courses for testing at an REC. Some I’ve found offer a week prep with an instructor, which would allow mariners some flexibility with scheduling and work commitments. Sent from my PiratePhone using gCaptain[/QUOTE]

Except for ceklestial navigation, the Coast Guard does not approve courses to substitue for exams for greater than 200 GRT.

[QUOTE=Tugted;69623]Seaschool in Bayou Labatre.[/QUOTE]

They are not giving classes right now. I was planning on taking the prep course this time off and go and test. Looking to brush up on terrestrial stuff mainly. Called the school and they said call the office in St. Pete. Called that office and they said they didn’t have an instructor right now. They are trying to set up a class in late June or maybe July.

Threw my plans out the window. Looking at just taking the celestrial class, I will need it soon anyways. Do you guys think that the Celestrial class will cover all the Sun stuff that is on the Near Coastal Exam or isit more geared towards the star stuff?

Any other school someone could suggest besides MPT, QUAILITY, or Fleatchers. They are all full or doesn’t fall into my off time. That is why I’m looking at just taking the Celestrial class. I feel comfortable with all the other mods.

If Seattle works for you, Andy Crawford teaches a great celestial class.

If you are going for a near coastal license you don’t need celestial.

I’ve never been to Crawford’s, but I know several people who swear by them. Seattle is a great place for a mariner to spend some time. You cannot beat the prices at Clatsop Community College and people seem to like them. (Personally, I’d rather spend a few weeks studying in Astoria than in Houma). Downeast Maritime is very well regarded and they offer celestial about once a month.

There are two things that I can say for MPT. The people who answer the phone know what they are talking about and they are very helpful. They claim that they never cancel scheduled classes.

Many of the classes that I have signed up for at various schools have been cancelled for lack of enrollment, and I am tired of wasting my time making plans around classes that just get cancelled.

If you like Houston, Houston exam prep training center is great… www.kdoncorp.com