Announcing YOUblog

Have a great idea you’d like to share with the industry? Ever think to yourself , “I could do a better job than these gCaptain guys“? Now is your chance to prove your worth.

Created by gCaptain readers, the YOUblog forum features subjects of discussion that are of interest to our members. Anyone can contribute and the best submissions are promoted to the main gCaptain blog!

Here are some tips for creating the perfect blog post:

The short version from Seth Godin;
An appropriate illustration,
A useful (Maritime Related!) topic, easily broadened to be useful to a large number of readers,
Simple language with no useless jargon,
Not too long,
Focusing on something that people have previously taken for granted,
That initially creates emotional resistance,
Then causes a light bulb go go off
and finally,
Causes the reader to look at the world differently all day long.

More detailed tips on writing good blog posts:

[ul]
[li]Useful and Unique Content[/li][li]Post Length[/li][li]Granular (One Topic) Posts[/li][li]Using Titles Effectively on Blogs[/li][li]Scannable Content[/li][li]Basic HTML Tags[/li][li]More on Writing Content for your Blog[/li][/ul]
gCaptain Rules
There are no rules except adding value to the conversation but here are some guidlines in FAQ format:

What topic should I write about?

The one you are most passionate about! The value of YOUblog is sharing information and ideas with the rest of the maritime industry. Each of us has something they are passionate about, and thus, have just a slight bit more knowledge about than our colleagues. For me these topics include Marine Firefighting, Marine Electronics and Maritime Incidents. But this isn’t about me, it’s about you! Whether your passion is celestial navigation or marine head repair, if the knowledge or idea is interesting to you then it’s worth sharing.

Can I promote my company’s product or service?

First off, no SPAM, it will be deleted. That being said if you work for an ECDIS manufacturer you probably know more about the systems than the rest of us so we welcome your thoughts and, go ahead, include one or two links to your website. To clarify, it’s not about your product, it’s about the information you share, just make sure your priorities in writing the article are in that order.

Is there anything else like this?

Absolutely, Coast Guard Proceedings Magazine has been doing this for years. Each magazine is written by authors with a common background (their service in the USCG) but each author writes about his own specialized skills.

Which articles will be promoted to the gCaptain blog?

The best (of course)! We will monitor the section for new articles and, based on feedback from the other gCaptain forum participants, pick the ones with the best reader feedback.

Besides fame and glory, what do I get out of it?

Just the knowledge that your blog post will be read by thousands of maritime professionals, some of which may take your idea and implement it aboard their ship. Who knows, your article may improve efficiencies, prevent the next big oil spill or even save a few lives!

Oh yes, and we give out free tshirts, email addresses, invitations and other goodies to our most valued contributors. Get a half dozen of so articles published and we will share ad revenue with you (but it’s not about the money, right?)

How do I get started?
That’s simple, just follow our 4 step process.

[ol]
[li] Register for our forum.[/li][li]Visit the [B][I]YOUblog section[/I][/B] of our forum.[/li][li]Click “New Thread“.[/li][li] Start typing.[/li][/ol]
It’s really that simple!
CLICK HERE TO VISIT YOUblog TODAY!