Announcing gCaptain Jobs

We are excited to announce gCaptain’s new MARITIME JOBS SECTION!

Currently we are in BETA testing which means it’s not ready for prime time use but we are looking for testers and wanted to give our forum members an exclusive first preview! So… the first 100 people who register this week will get access to the new section of our site!

The catch?

[ol]
[li]We except there to be a few bugs.[/li][li]We need your help to improve this feature so, by accepting our beta invite, you agree to return to this thread provide feedback on the new feature.[/li][li]You will need an invite code.[/li][/ol]
The invite code can be found in the image attached to this post (you must be a registered forum user to view it!). Once you have copied the code click HERE to register, your log-in information will be emailed to you.

That’s it! Once registered you will be able to visit our jobs section directly:
http://gcaptain.com/jobs/

[I][B]Stay tuned for more details!

NOTE: We have set up a new section of our forum for BETA Testers to submit feedback and discuss features: http://gcaptain.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85[/B][/I]

[quote=gCaptain;10988]We are excited to announce gCaptain’s new MARITIME JOBS SECTION!

Currently we are in BETA testing which means it’s not ready for prime time use but we are looking for testers and wanted to give our forum members an exclusive first preview! So… the first 100 people who register this week will get access to the new section of our site!

The catch?

[ol]
[li]We except there to be a few bugs.[/li][li]We need your help to improve this feature so, by accepting our beta invite, you agree to return to this thread provide feedback on the new feature.[/li][li]You will need an invite code.[/li][/ol]The invite code can be found in the image attached to this post (you must be a registered forum user to view it!). Once you have copied the code click HERE to register, your log-in information will be emailed to you.

That’s it! Once registered you will be able to visit our jobs section directly:
http://gcaptain.com/jobs/

[I][B]Stay tuned for more details![/B][/I][/quote]

Of course the layout is good as expected. Not much posted there yet. You may want to enlist “shoot31” as he seems to have great talent in the area of job search and is looking for employment himself. The links are good. I have also found www.indeed.com to be very good job search site. Another good link would be http://www.usajobs.gov/

Thanks for another great tool.

We agree, both are very good resources. From our experience however, when searching maritime specific keywords, you get a lot of irrelevant search results (if any at all).

Our goal is to cut all of that out, much like our Maritime Industry Search Engine :wink:

[quote=gCaptain;10996]We agree, both are very good resources. From our experience however, when searching maritime specific keywords, you get a lot of irrelevant search results (if any at all).

[B]Our goal is to cut all of that out[/B], much like our [B][I][B]Maritime Industry Search Engine ;)[/B][/I][/B][/quote]

That would be fantastic. The irrelevant search results have been very frustrating.

Phase 1 of our Job Board is aggregation… which means we are bringing in the titles and basic descriptions for other sites (including Indeed) and displaying them to you. We think that by having the most jobs in one single location is going to be a key factor in making job searching easier and less time consuming for the mariner. By adding features like voting, commenting, sharing (via email, facebook, etc) we can take a useful feature and make it extraordinary.

shoot31 is a talented individual, we’d be happy to get him aboard!

John, I tried to log onto your new jobs page but it doesn’t recognize my username. The regular login works just fine.

thanks

[quote=gCaptain;10999]Phase 1 of our Job Board is aggregation… which means we are bringing in the titles and basic descriptions for other sites (including Indeed) and displaying them to you. We think that by having the most jobs in one single location is going to be a key factor in making job searching easier and less time consuming for the mariner. By adding features like voting, commenting, sharing (via email, facebook, etc) we can take a useful feature and make it extraordinary.

shoot31 is a talented individual, we’d be happy to get him aboard![/quote]

Now the miracle of miracles would be to get a standardized employment application available online that maritime companies would accept so that the redundancy of filling out so many applications to different companies could be eliminated. OMG that would be !@#$%^&*()_+!!!

All we can say is Keep Dreaming!

We do have a standardized Job Tip form where you can share jobs you found elsewhere on the web:
[I][B]Submit A Maritime Job Tip[/B][/I]

[[I][B]Submit A Maritime Job Tip[/B][/I][/quote]

It doesn’t give me permission to use the form.

Allow (trusted) users to flag irrelevant listings (like ‘Banquet Captain’) for deletion to quickly clean up the board.

Of course it would need some control to keep smeg-heads from deleting good leads to save them for themselves. Maybe it would take several users to delete an item, or a ranking system for the privilege …

Amen to that !!

It doesn’t give me permission to use the form.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…

I like the deletion idea but it will take some thought on our end.

Standardized form makes too much sense for this industry!! I suggested this in person to the OMSA rep at a meeting and they were not at all interested. Seems to me, if they want to find plenty of good people they should try to make it easier on both us and them but noooooooo…

I think I posted my resume but can not find any way to check it out, see if it came out OK, etc. Is there any place for a person to look at resumes that have been posted to the site?

JP

G’Day,
Tks v much yr excellent resource. Can yr positions be categorised, for example Brown Water, Blue Water, etc?
Tks n brgds,
D-B

Hi John,
I’m back at it again, looking for a job. Anyway I noticed that when I am reviewing all the jobs listed and I select a particular one that when I am finished reading it and hit the back button on my browser it does not take me back where I was. I have to go back through the list each time to find where I left off. I hope this is a simple fix.
Thanks.
Ron

[quote=10talents;13463]Hi John,
I’m back at it again, looking for a job. Anyway I noticed that when I am reviewing all the jobs listed and I select a particular one that when I am finished reading it and hit the back button on my browser it does not take me back where I was. I have to go back through the list each time to find where I left off. I hope this is a simple fix.
Thanks.
Ron[/quote]

Hmm, I’m not sure I’ve run into this but we will take a look.

It would be a real help if the posted jobs had links to send resumes direct to poster or at least to company website. Some do but seems most don;t.
It would also be nice if there was a way to link posted resumes to relevent jobs something like rigzone does where they email you the jobs that match your resume.