AMO Dispatch Practice

Just applied for an Applicant, One person in the office told me that the Dispatcher will call/e-mail me if the suitable jobs coming up.

I need the best idea to get hired without being set aside ;

Is it better Idea to locate myself at the galveston dispatch hall ( I aim at Heavy Lift ships of Intermarine ) ?

Or just stay in california Home waiting for a call from Dispatcher ?

First timer at AMO, any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

don’t forget you can also go straight to companies and see if they need anybody. then you go through the union once you’re hired. if you’re on the registration list you’re probably a long way down - members always go ahead of applicants.

I didn’t think AMO had “halls”.

There are no halls, dispatching in done via phone. Shipping is slow for deck officers. The AMO website has job listings. If you want to work, call the dispatcher every day and take the first available job. It will be the job nobody wants or a pierhead jump.

I’m an AMO applicant, have been for a couple years. Go direct hire if you can or check the open board for jobs. I got hired both times directly. It helps to know someone with an AMO company.

[QUOTE=highseasmechanic;39062]I’m an AMO applicant, have been for a couple years. Go direct hire if you can or check the open board for jobs. I got hired both times directly. It helps to know someone with an AMO company.[/QUOTE]

Hello, highseamechanic, thank you so much, I know the shipowner who introduced their management/crewing company who said they hire through AMO. That’s how I have become an AMO applicant. I guess I need to talk to the owner and the crewing company at the same time… Thanks again…

That’s what I worried, thank you New3M…

[QUOTE=crosscurrents;39026]The AMO website has job listings. If you want to work, call the dispatcher every day and take the first available job. It will be the job nobody wants or a pierhead jump.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Crosscurrents. I am learning…The dispatcher told me I counldn’t use website yet because it’s not accessable for applicants…

[QUOTE=crosscurrents;39026]The AMO website has job listings. If you want to work, call the dispatcher every day and take the first available job. It will be the job nobody wants or a pierhead jump.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Crosscurrents. I am learning…The dispatcher told me I counldn’t use website yet because it’s not accessable for applicants…