American Steamship Company

I just received an offer to work for ASC as an AB. Could anyone tell me anything about this company? Rotation, working conditions, travel, pay, and/or benefits. They seem to have nice equipment on there website.

SIU or non union?

I have no clue. Thats why i asked.

SIU. Probably a rotary job out of Algonac. All Lakes stuff; 620’ to 1000’ self unloading bulkers.

Don’t go there…go to hornbeckoffshore.com The Lakes are a dead end. There are great things happening in the GoM.

They have both SIU and non union boats. If the company is offering the job directly its one of the 3 non union ones. The pay is good, equipment is good, as is the food. Youd probably a relief so the length of your hitches would depend on how long the guy is getting off for. If you need work take it, its a good job.

The company called me. I prob wont take it. Its probably be a pay cut from where im at now. Plus i dont want to be stuck on the boat for more then 3 weeks. Thanks alot. Appreciate it…

Very good company ,yes probably union ,off for winter ,get to go up the street not a bad gig. Work 4 hours on 8 hours off anything over that is overtime.
The Great Lakes is pretty cool place to work

• Updated - - -

Also look up Great Lakes boat nerd. Go to fleet photo an see there fleet.

1 Like

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;115741]Don’t go there…go to hornbeckoffshore.com The Lakes are a dead end. There are great things happening in the GoM.[/QUOTE]

Have been trying to get on with them for 3 months, have neard nothing back. Do you have an “in” I can contact. I went to the site and applied and nothing, went to the office and they said “apply on line”. thanks for any help

No thanks. If I never set foot in the GOM again for the rest of my life it would be a great life.

Great Lakes, deep sea, coastwise,etc. Ill In comparison to the salaries in the Gulf. All big money is oil…

Roger that. I was a Pilot on the Great Lakes and I’m making about triple the salary in the GoM.

Put a tampon on in, here’s a couple hundred more a day darling…shut up and dance

Im makin just as much if not more then most of the ABs down there per day plus OT. And its equal time. Why would i go do 28/14? Thats just asking for divorce, alimony and child support payments. Then id have to work 28/14 to survive. Im good on that. You guys can have that.

The point is to not be an AB… Get your license and then make the money.

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;115689]I just received an offer to work for ASC as an AB. Could anyone tell me anything about this company? Rotation, working conditions, travel, pay, and/or benefits. They seem to have nice equipment on there website.[/QUOTE]

GOOD MORNING!!! I work for this company in 2011 and quit . you might be the replacement of the AB’s that on OFF-schedule that is not welling to return. The last time I was assigned to the American Courage, 3 of the AB’s from the south quits. The rotation on the ship that I was assigned the rotation is not proper(they have to hire new guys or look for the crews that willing to fill-up the gaps for the maintime). The work conditions is good WHEN…underway, loading and unloading operation (if in normal or good condition). But, if the unloading breaks-down and the loads starts to throw out on the deck and down to the tunnel where most of the conveyor belts are located, Everybody( the rating and some engineer )will spend their 4 hours or more shoveling the loads and put it back to the conveyor belts. your travel expenses will be refunded to you and for AB’s they pay $18.18 to 23.00 during that year 2011. The benefits Good-Medical insurance, performance bonus and incintives, discounts on Verizon and many more, GOOD LUCK, All the best…

I have my license and will be making that money soon.

Great company, easy work, decent pay. Was on the 1000 foot Indiana harbor and had a blast. AB is easy work up there. Steer, pull hose, chip and paint. It’s all SIU I believe. If you’re a b book you should have no problem finding work with them.

Whats the pay?

MacDonalds pays better…

1 Like