SIU question

Hello all,

I have questions about SIU. I used the search feature but the info seemed dated and I think the marketplace has managed to get even crappier than it was then (back when it was still crappy).
I just got my AB Special/Lifeboat/RFPNW, have 100T master NC, STCW/BST, passport, TWIC and a university degree. I spent everything I have on school and training. I couldn’t finance a rotisserie chicken at this point. A guy I was in class with recommended SIU.
My goal is to get a good AB job paying in the neighborhood of $250. Equal time would be OK but 28/14 would be better. My experience comes from the fishing industry but I am at home on the salt on anything that floats.
Do you think SIU would be the best bet as far as getting hooked up with an AB gig (fast) and not having to bust my balls job hunting? OR…Do you think I would just end up forking over more cash to sit in a union hall on a bench next to a bunch of mongoloids for months at a time? I really cant afford to wait around. I am a clean cut guy and am easy to get along with and know when to keep my mouth shut, I would hire me .
Please advise. Thank you in advance.

[QUOTE=XpatBubba;54243] OR…Do you think I would just end up forking over more cash to sit in a union hall on a bench next to a bunch of mongoloids for months at a time? I really cant afford to wait around.[/QUOTE] By disrespecting hard working people trying to find work the same as you I wouldnt hire you at all, but rather give you a hard time, maybe some of those people there have alot more experience then you.

My advice coming from one of those “mongoloids” what ever the F that means, find a job that starts after 3 pm so you have the whole morning in the union hall, oh and bring a laptop so in the mean time u can apply at private companies online… thats a time saver.

Technically, mongoloid is one of the three basic races of human, the other two being caucasoid and negroid. Essentially, mongoloid means asian. It can also mean “resembling a mongol” which in this context would equate to “primitive and savage”, ie an insult. A better word choice would have been “neanderthal”…

And yes, insulting the hard working deck department is not called for.

Well, I can see the anointed one got a job…good for you…seriously. Dann Ocean Towing is one of the companies I would like to apply towards. But what I would really like is either Crowley or OSG as they have the travel and work schedules my family can live with. My family (wife!!) hates the idea of a union hiring hall, and I do too…I don’t want to work gigs…it appears companies like Crowley and OSG have full time jobs but still indicate on their websites that you must go through the union. Can someone clarify this? Can I get a full time job and be in the SIU? When I was 18 and wanted to join the merchant marine I would have loved sitting in a hiring hall waiting for a ship outbound on a 3 month cruise…but reality is I am now 26 and live in Brownsville Texas and want to work a 28/28 or thereabouts in my backyard…aka Gulf/Caribbean on an ATB or towing run. Can someone clarify this in reference to companies like Penn Maritime, Crowley, and OSG…is this just hiring hall gigs?!

Fire away you mongoloids! lol

The tug companies I know that employ union workers (including crowley and osg) are full time positions with that company.

When I went to the Norfolk SIU hall and talked to the guy he made it sound like Crowley or whoever hires you through the union. You work for Crowley full time but SIU covers your health or 401k or somrthing like that. They call their (SIU) tugboat jobs the “inland” division.

Some companies have permanent positions. Government contracts are always permanent (if you and they agree to it). Those jobs are still union but scheduling, ship assignments and so on are handled by the company. The union generally rubber stamps what the company requests.

Some times you can get a job directly threw the company by calling, emailing… SIU hates that to no end so if it is your first job with SIU be ready for some pushback.

Once you have the job it’s not an issue.

Make sense?

I notice Crowley lists a number for a recruiter, does anyone have any intel on their hiring process?

Try Signet Maritime in Brownsville. It’s not 28/28 but you go home at night (i.e. you don’t stay on the boat). Day rate is low relative to working a rotation but your annual salary is fairly competitive because you work more days.

[QUOTE=gman1984;54314]Well, I can see the anointed one got a job…good for you…seriously. Dann Ocean Towing is one of the companies I would like to apply towards. But what I would really like is either Crowley or OSG as they have the travel and work schedules my family can live with. My family (wife!!) hates the idea of a union hiring hall, and I do too…I don’t want to work gigs…it appears companies like Crowley and OSG have full time jobs but still indicate on their websites that you must go through the union. Can someone clarify this? Can I get a full time job and be in the SIU? When I was 18 and wanted to join the merchant marine I would have loved sitting in a hiring hall waiting for a ship outbound on a 3 month cruise…but reality is I am now 26 and live in Brownsville Texas and want to work a 28/28 or thereabouts in my backyard…aka Gulf/Caribbean on an ATB or towing run. Can someone clarify this in reference to companies like Penn Maritime, Crowley, and OSG…is this just hiring hall gigs?!

Fire away you mongoloids! lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=XpatBubba;54243] I am a clean cut guy and am easy to get along with and know when to keep my mouth shut, I would hire me . [/QUOTE]

The term Oxymoron comes to mind!!! Modesty too! Then go out, find ANY job, and start. 30 years ago I was one of those mongoloids. Now I will likely be your Captain. Keep your thoughts to yourself, and you will go alot further. Stop bragging and start doing.

Busting balls??? In this economy? It is too bad you can’t afford to wait around. There’s a couple thousand guys with YEARS of experience doing the same thing now.

Man I wish I could get this guy as a trainee on my barge, I would show him some mongoloid ball busting

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend anybody, not at all my intent. Chgonyer, I too wish I could learn on a barge and from someone that would teach me what needs to be taught with no bullshit. I am looking forward to it. Again, sorry to ruffle feathers. Cappy208, Not bragging about anything, was trying to convey a point and give some idea of background. . Best to all, and I am looking forward to switching directions in the industry.

Azimuth,
Thanks for the well wishes
Sincerely,
The anointed one (haha, guess I asked for that one huh!)