American Exceptionalism

I guess that’s a no

Trollytrollh

2 Likes

You understand sh!t about history as always… you think the Roman Empire was family based, or force based—you’d be surprised. And when it became the Holy Roman Empire, they still had electors and a republic based electoral based approach. Crack a book. Venice was a republic, they did pretty well, at least they were definitely ‘notable’ and even had some democracy going on. You continually showcase a half assed understanding of history, it’s remarkable, and everyone remembers your ‘knowledge’ of the US electoral college.

As for Jefferson—hmm, don’t think today’s Republican or Trump party is down with his thoughts, and the estate tax started in the Roman Empire by the way. Here’s Jefferson now:

“I set out on this ground which I suppose to be self evident, “that the earth belongs in usufruct to the living;” that the dead have neither powers nor rights over it. The portion occupied by an individual ceases to be his when himself ceases to be, and reverts to the society. If the society has formed no rules for the appropriation of its lands in severalty, it will be taken by the first occupants. These will generally be the wife and children of the decedent. If they have formed rules of appropriation, those rules may give it to the wife and children, or to some one of them, or to the legatee of the deceased. So they may give it to his creditor. But the child, the legatee or creditor takes it, not by any natural right, but by a law of the society of which they are members, and to which they are subject. Then no man can by natural right oblige the lands he occupied, or the persons who succeed him in that occupation, to the paiment of debts contracted by him. For if he could, he might during his own life, eat up the usufruct of the lands for several generations to come, and then the lands would belong to the dead, and not to the living, which would be reverse of our principle.“

Gee wonder how his stern approach helped out… oh wait, history again:

“Between 1800 and 1860, [wealth] inequality grew in America about as much as it has in the period since 1970… Although Thomas Jefferson had written to James Madison that “legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property,” few laws had been passed to regulate property ownership in the original colonies. ”

Jefferson—President 1801-1809.

Why yes, his policies are bad and will kill people and anyone who supports him has to be a moron.

Did I mention how he lies all the time? But criticized people about things he does all the time? The question isn’t why people hate him. The question is what makes people like him—usually it’s the ‘i like how he pisses off people’. The kind of people everyone wants as a neighbor, right? Totally into the American experience of working with their neighbors for the best mutual life based on compromise, toleration and working things out.

:golfing_woman:

(And proceeds to talk only why he hates Trump)

I guess the term ‘else’ didn’t register… Anything different? Anything in addition? Anything besides? Anything instead?

Uh, he’s putting kids in cages, his mismanagement of a pandemic crisis for America exacerbated by his own actions has tanked the one thing that mattered to his supporters (stock market) and has ensured deficits and higher taxes for the future. Oh and he’s killing people. A lot of them. Normal people would have issues with these and other aspects of his performance and his behavior.

But it’s not like there’s an ‘enough’ to change your mind. You like that people hate the effects listed above among others, and that they are annoyed. No one is looking to convince anarchist, nihilists. And that’s the main point—you don’t defend his actions, you just insist that there’s inadequate support for you finding him a fool. That says a lot about you more than anyone else.

1 Like

Oh my! That’s abhorrent! Any documentation, pictures, anything?

That was a Black Mirror episode, no?

1 Like

Sure here you go:

Or here:

Or:

Shall I put you down for semantical consideration that it’s not really a ‘cage’ or ‘fake news’ press? Unless you can prove there are no children in custody? Can you prove there are no children in custody?

Here you go with what? I see large fenced off areas to prevent people from wandering off. I don’t see any children in cages, or adults for that matter.
Does your mommy know lost your meds again?

‘Semantic‘ distinctions it is, sorry, I should have used simpler words.

So how big is the limit for a ‘cage’ in your house?

Yep, that was the same process under the Obama admin…Just didn’t matter until TDS kicked in.
Be careful dismounting your high-horse…That’s a long drop!

2 Likes

No. Just the correct ones The ones that describe the actual situation as opposed to the bitter angry voices in your head.

Why would I get off my high horse to examine… no information?

So you admit you have no evidence for refuting even one of several points made about unfitness? Hmmm, well, if you ever choose to make yourself informed, come back.

You’re basing a position on outrage over children being kept in cages but you provide zero evidence to back it up. Anything else?

You must have missed a post here it is:

So, how about those other matters? Or are you satisfied with how many Americans have died following the President saying there were only 15 who would all be cured?

Oh, and your definition of a ‘cage’ would be most helpful to make you understand. You see functionally these children have been imprisoned, I hope you’re honest enough to agree on that distinction, and they are imprisoned in an enclosure. While I’m sure your own upbringing and family must have cultured you to the concepts of a ‘cage’, I can appreciate how the term ‘cage’ takes on a specially defined measurable definition. So what again are your cage numbers?

I have seen photos of little kids sleeping, or trying to, under bright lights, on concrete behind cyclone fencing in a facility kept expensively cold. They had what looked like a Yoga pad and a space blanket each. No pillows. Space blanket = a piece of aluminized mylar with a binding sewed around the outside.

Remember it was a declared aim of the policy to discourage other kids’ parents from seeking asylum.

2 Likes

Children suffer everyday in every state due to their parents choosing to engage in illegal activity. Foster homes are full of them. Where is “I’m so appalled” outrage in the illegal acts that actually resulted in these images and stories?

Below is an excerpt of what Thomas Jefferson wrote & thought about wealth distribution, taxation & inheritance. His novel idea was Earth shattering to the establishment at the time because almost always the oldest male took the estate completely without dispute. Birthright laws. The rich stayed rich & the poor stayed poor. The link below is to Jeffersons revised law in the General Assembly. 2 examples of what made the US exceptional.

I won’t be replying to you after this. I don’t know if you get paid by the hour, word or comment but I wish you luck on this thread. You won’t change anyone’s opinion about the US being exceptional or not but hopefully you can make a little money in whatever currency you get paid. BTW, the US was exceptional long before DJT, is exceptional now & will be exceptional long after he is gone.

Jefferson to Madison:

“These lands are kept idle mostly for the aske of game. It should seem then that it must be because of the enormous wealth of the proprietors which places them above attention to the increase of their revenues by permitting these lands to be laboured. I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable. But the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. The descent of property of every kind therefore to all the children, or to all the brothers and sisters, or other relations in equal degree is a politic measure, and a practicable one. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise.”

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Jefferson/01-02-02-0132-0004-0020

From the Bill/link:

" TJ regarded this reform in the rules of descent as being among the most important parts of the revision of the laws; indeed, this subject headed the list of “the most remarkable alterations proposed” that he drew up in Notes on Virginia. The important departure provided for in this Bill was that the lands of any person dying intestate should “be divisible equally among all his children, or other representatives, in equal degree”"

1 Like

More motivation than ever to never be ashore.