Advice for future LNG deck officers?

I will soon be seeking employment as a 3M in the LNG sector, and I am interested to know if anyone has any lessons learned, or other general advice / particular books or pubs to read, in order to do well aboard and LNG ship.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=Deck;20142]I will soon be seeking employment as a 3M in the LNG sector, and I am interested to know if anyone has any lessons learned, or other general advice / particular books or pubs to read, in order to do well aboard and LNG ship.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Are you a smoker? :stuck_out_tongue:

Read as much as you can about news in the LNG industry, it will help you during the interviews. Also get a hold of the LNG textbook used by the maritime academies. LNG ships are foreign flagged so when interviewed you need to come across as a person who can work with anyone, not a xenophobic American like most foreign companies think of us. If you don’t get a job immediately on an LNG tanker (its pretty hard for Americans to get hired because there are not that many companies hiring Americans) get a job on another type of tanker. LNG tankers are not that different than any other tanker. Most of the systems and operations are the same, so any experience on a tanker will help you greatly. If you got any more questions let me know, I have sailed on an LNG and know a few things about them.

Thank you very much for the solid advice; I come from a very multicultural family so I understand very well what are talking about. I will read all I can, and I am fortunate that my particular academy is offering an LNG class with a simulator component which I will definitely take next semester. I will definitely send some more specific questions in the future. I wrote a paper recently on BOG re-liquefaction technology, and it is really interesting how quickly the technology is changing.

Thanks again.