Admissions

[QUOTE=c.captain;80681]You may not like to be lambasted but too bad for your delicate sensitivities. I don’t give a shit if your feelings are hurt.

Good luck getting into KP tho…you too can be part of that tin pot mini-me Annapolis and match to the greatest hits of the KP Band led by the much selfrevered Captain Kenneth R. Force USMS. You can also get your free ride on that great tasting milk flowing from that one massive taxpayer tit!

btw, the moderators of the forum have asked many times that posters not use one word titles to their threads but since you have NEVER been here before you don’t know that… What a fabulous way to join a community by showing your ignorance.[/QUOTE]

Well I apologize for the one word topic. But I have posted here before just never saw that. I don’t see the big deal about the government paying for people education. States do it. Now yes it is more expensive for college I would be more than willing to pay for KP but its free.

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;80684]Oh, it’s that easy huh?

Haha…[/QUOTE]

To get into SUNY yes. To get a job probably not… But I don’t care if I have a third mate unlimited and work as a AB work is work.

Haha to get into SUNY. You act like you know about the maritime industry but yet had to ask in a forum how to get accepted. That’s terrible. Word of advice. Focus on getting into a school first. Making it the four years. And graduating with a license before you worry about working as a ab instead of mate.

You DO understand that you first need an appointment by either a US Congressman or US Senator? Then once you get that appointment you are competitive with the other candidates.

It is not solely your grades. If there is another person in your district who has their ‘hooks’ into a politician you are SOL for an appointment.

Having tried this when I was 16, I know how it works. You need to be doing this in the fall of your junior year. The politicians have a public deadline. I would imagine if this is the start of your Senior year it is too late to apply to the Politicians already. No, I didn’t get in. The appointment was not mine. The grades, so, so. iffy. But I didn’t get past the politicians!

And although it is bringing up bad memories, IIRC, My Senator that year sponsored a Greek shipping tycoons son! Thanks. But, if truth be told, I am probably better for it anyway!

[QUOTE=cappy208;80693]You DO understand that you first need an appointment by either a US Congressman or US Senator? Then once you get that appointment you are competitive with the other candidates.

It is not solely your grades. If there is another person in your district who has their ‘hooks’ into a politician you are SOL for an appointment.[/QUOTE]

I know that I am not worried about the appointment more about the school.

[QUOTE=riverrat;80692]Haha to get into SUNY. You act like you know about the maritime industry but yet had to ask in a forum how to get accepted. That’s terrible. Word of advice. Focus on getting into a school first. Making it the four years. And graduating with a license before you worry about working as a ab instead of mate.[/QUOTE]

I don’t plan to pretend I know a lot about this industry. I asked what would help to get accepted at KP not SUNY. I would have no problem getting into SUNY. You are right though, I should not worry about jobs and what not because the market can change in that amount of time

each rep and sen gets an appointment. thats 535. then a couple governors from outlying islands PR, Guam, USVI get a couple. How many enter in the fall? 250 so you have a 50 50 shot at acceptance grades not included!

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80696]I don’t plan to pretend I know a lot about this industry. I asked what would help to get accepted at KP not SUNY. I would have no problem getting into SUNY. You are right though, I should not worry about jobs and what not because the market can change in that amount of time[/QUOTE]

If you are worried about your GPA contact
Michael E. De Rosa, CDR, USMS- Assistant Director of Admissions & Financial Aid
Tel: 516-773-5801 E-mail: derosam@usmma.edu

He can answer all your questions or contact your local academy rep
http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/reps/default.shtml

Man, who is this kid? He should look into politics. At 17 he already knows it all, is cocky and full of himself, and thinks he can BS everyone, even though we can see right through it. That’s the makings of a politician right there!

Though not as selective, SUNY is still a hard school to get into. I know friends of the family who’s kids have been turned down and they had average grades, big into sports in school and had good recommendation letters (including letters from alum) so don’t think you’re a shoe in. You have a lot to learn…

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;80699]Man, who is this kid? He should look into politics. At 17 he already knows it all, is cocky and full of himself, and thinks he can BS everyone, even though we can see right through it. That’s the makings of a politician right there!

Though not as selective, SUNY is still a hard school to get into. I know friends of the family who’s kids have been turned down and they had average grades, big into sports in school and had good recommendation letters (including letters from alum) so don’t think you’re a shoe in. You have a lot to learn…[/QUOTE]

I am not cocky I am stating the obvious or what is at least obvious to me and to people who dont know me very well I can see how that is cocky. I do understand the SUNY is “selective” but I have vistied the school and talked with admissions there and they said if I stay on track I am on I should have no real difficulty getting into the school.

I do apologize though if I came out as cocky. Also I know I have a lot to learn that’s why I read this forum often.

refresh my memory… when IS the deadline for political appointments?

And cocky or not, good for you for taking the initiative to investigate this on your own, without mommy and daddy asking for you.

[QUOTE=cappy208;80701]refresh my memory… when IS the deadline for political appointments?

And cocky or not, good for you for taking the initiative to investigate this on your own, without mommy and daddy asking for you.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the political person giving you the nomination. But on KP website I found this.

“Nominating authorities may submit the names of their nominees to the Academy any time between August 1 and January 31 of the school year preceding that in which admission to the Academy is sought.”

The problem for me is my local congressmen quit so it complicates matters because the majority of the others did not know they are aloud to give nominations to anyone in their state that wants a nomination for KP. Because west point and all the other ones require you to be in the congressmen’s district.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80702]It depends on the political person giving you the nomination. But on KP website I found this.

“Nominating authorities may submit the names of their nominees to the Academy any time between August 1 and January 31 of the school year preceding that in which admission to the Academy is sought.”

The problem for me is my local congressmen quit so it complicates matters because the majority of the others did not know they are aloud to give nominations to anyone in their state that wants a nomination for KP. Because west point and all the other ones require you to be in the congressmen’s district.[/QUOTE]
The appointments deadline has NOTHING to with KP. Your congressman/senator have an application deadline FOR the appointment, THAT is the important one. So you can see from KP the appointment is received by KP during the FALL of the senior year, So the Politician has to already have it in their hands by June (or earlier) of the Junior year, to make a decision. (Unless you have the ear of the politician from Dad or Mom.) Possible, but there ALWAYS others who are looking for an appointment too.

What year are you? Junior or Senior? If you are a senior I really think it is too late for next year. This is a two year application process.

[QUOTE=cappy208;80703]The appointments deadline has NOTHING to with KP. Your congressman/senator have an application deadline FOR the appointment, THAT is the important one. So you can see from KP the appointment is received by KP during the FALL of the senior year, So the Politician has to already have it in their hands by June (or earlier) of the Junior year, to make a decision. (Unless you have the ear of the politician from Dad or Mom.) Possible, but there ALWAYS others who are looking for an appointment too.

What year are you? Junior or Senior? If you are a senior I really think it is too late for next year. This is a two year application process.[/QUOTE]

Cappy I think your mistaken or maybe my state is just different. But the only way to get an appointment with the congressman or senator is to be a senior in high school. I am going to double check this but I have been in contact with them sense last year (junior) and they never told me I had to do anything then.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80685]Well I apologize for the one word topic. But I have posted here before just never saw that. I don’t see the big deal about the government paying for people education. States do it. Now yes it is more expensive for college I would be more than willing to pay for KP but its free.[/QUOTE]

You tell me a state that gives a 100% scholarship to students and I will move there so my kids can all get free edumacations paid for by you.

[QUOTE=c.captain;80707]You tell me a state that gives a 100% scholarship to students and I will move there so my kids can all get free edumacations paid for by you.[/QUOTE]

I know there is a college school that is free but highly selective and only a few hundred students. It gets paid by donors, I assume very wealthy ones. But I was talking about states paying for high school or grade school education. But alot of state colleges are very cheap if you leave in that state especially community colleges.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;80706]Cappy I think your mistaken or maybe my state is just different. But the only way to get an appointment with the congressman or senator is to be a senior in high school. I am going to double check this but I have been in contact with them sense last year (junior) and they never told me I had to do anything then.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I am 35 years older than you! Si I am a little clouded on this. Here’s a sample, " Applications must be received in Congressman Dreier’s San Dimas office on or before November 1, 2012 for those wishing to attend an Academy in the 2013 school year." cut and pasted from Driers’ office. So you are correct, it is the fall. I could have sworn that I was running around doing this crap my Junior year. who knows. Lousy alzheimers, stealing away my best years! What were we talking about?

Yeah, i do believe my state was different. How else could a politician have it submitted by August 1st, if it wasn’t started in Junior year?

Here is a cut from another district. Showing they all have slightly different conditions.

"Bill’s application period opens May 1st of each year for those candidates who will be seniors the following fall or who have already graduated.

[B]What is the deadline for completing the nomination packet?[/B]
This year, the deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is October 21st.

Regarding the one word topic. come on, it is in the USMMA thread. how much more need be said? admissions. Free. KP. at some point it all becomes redundant!

Sir cappy you scared me for a second there.

[QUOTE=cappy208;80711]Regarding the one word topic. come on, it is in the USMMA thread. how much more need be said? admissions. Free. KP. at some point it all becomes redundant![/QUOTE]

I ain’t letting him off that easy…if you just check “new posts” like many of us here do, you have no idea of the context.

Effing NEWBS…where you you get to say “ya cappy” anyway? You’re a two bit punk sans a clue and cappy208 is one of the top members here…you get to address him as SIR!

Bloody twerp! Where did your username from anyway? You think you can crack a whip on here? Think again!