Adding up nickels

Looking for thoughts on recycling on commercial vessels. Do any Tug/OSV companies recycle? I know for myself that my vessel does not nor do I think others in my company do. Simple math says that if each crew uses 12.5 cases of water/ soda in a two week period then that would be 25 cases a month or 7200 bottles a year. That would equal $360 a year. Now that may not seem like much but multiply that by a fleet of vessels . Beside the money just think of the environmental impact. Why can’t this be done if we do it at home?

Ok 360.00 in savings a year and the OS makes more than 120.00 a day. If it takes 3 days work of an os a year your loosing money. Other than that great idea and we should all be doing what we can to save the world.

Oh yeah. We recycle. Mandated by the office greenie meanie. then when we go to dump the trash it ALL goes into one dumpster! lot of good that did!

[QUOTE=Tom B;84235]Ok 360.00 in savings a year and the OS makes more than 120.00 a day. If it takes 3 days work of an os a year your loosing money. Other than that great idea and we should all be doing what we can to save the world.[/QUOTE]

Uggh. 120 a day? where at?

the only recyclable material worth anything is aluminum but it will tale alot of soda cans to make it worth the effort. Just dump it all!

I know Mac NY did a few years ago.

Tried for awhile. It’s the right thing to do even if it doesn’t make economic sense. But the crew voted to give it up due to space limitations o/b. A dumpster dedicated to recyclables would be inspiration enough to start again.
The money went into a fund for satellite radio.

I’ve been on a few ships where either the SA/BR would recycle and pocket the cash, or the ship recycled and put the money in the crew fund.

Scrap can bring in some nice coin as well.

In the '70s, we had an incentive to recycle on the seismic vessels. We would save the copper band scraps and sheet lead scaps from the seismic cable repairs. When we made it to port to unload the seismic data tapes and revictual, there were always several cases of beer waiting for exchange of our scrap. Now that’s what I call an incentive…

We always used to keep copper/bronze scrap just for that reason. Sometimes it went to the wiper, other times for beer. Depended on the vessel, crew, etc.

Aluminum can be recycled forever. It never wears out. Aluminum cans are easy to convert into new cans and once again placed on store shelves. The cost to recycle a can is less than manufacturing a new can. The Aluminum Can is 100% recyclable and can be recycled indefinitely.
The yearly amount of recycled aluminum cans easily exceeds 60 billion cans. The energy savings from recycling aluminum cans is the same that is derived from roughly 15 million barrels of crude oil which is consistent with how much gas the United States consumes in a day. And, recycling 40 Aluminum cans provides the energy saving equivalent of one gallon of gasoline.
The aluminum can is the consumer product that is recycled the most.
The aluminum industry pays out a total of $800 million dollars for empty aluminum cans each year. This money goes to organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, local schools, and Habitat for Humanity. The money obtained from recycling goes right back into the community.
Aluminum has high market value, so it provides an economic incentive for individuals and businesses to recycle. Some communities offer curbside pick-up for recycling.
Recycling just one aluminum can is the equivalent of keeping a 100-watt light bulb burning for approximately four hours or having the television running for three hours.
According to the U.S. EPA, recycling aluminum reduces the amount ending up in the landfills by almost 55 percent.
Recycling aluminum saves 95 percent of the energy that is required to make cans from virgin bauxite ore.
Unlike plastics, you don’t have to remove paper labels or scrub the can clean. The heat used in the melting process eliminates any of the contaminants.
Recycling one ton of aluminum saves 10 cubic yards of landfill space.
Recycled cans can be made into furniture, airplanes, appliances, etc.

-Wastecare Corporation

If the docks had a place to put recyclable material I’m sure, but have yet to see one.