About to submit my Sea-Time to USCG, what do I need?

About to Submit my sea time to the Coast guard for my Upgrade. Just curious what I will need to turn to expedite the process.

Just a quick background. I graduated from Cal Maritime '08. Have since been working on ship assist tractor tugs in the inland waters of SF bay. Will be putting in for my 500T Master/Master of Tow.

Current license is: 3rd Unlimited, Oceans, 100T Master, Mate of Towing Endorsement, Current Radar observer unlmtd., STCW etc etc all that is up to date.

Here is my list so far, please take a look and tell me if I am missing anything, or if anything listed is not required:

1. Proof of Seatime
  2. Completed Application
  3. Application fee
  4. Coast Guard approved physical? Will I need one for the upgrade?

Anthing else I am missing?

Thanks.

Your last physical should be OK if done within the last 3 years.

I dont’ know when your last physical was but the 3 years doesn’t start when your license was issued, its starts from that date. I made that mistake and it slowed me down a lot on my last upgrade. Good luck.

TugLife - NMC has the checklists on its website:
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists.asp

If you don’t see yours there, request one by email, and you should have it within a business day.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=TugLife;26537]About to Submit my sea time to the Coast guard for my Upgrade. Just curious what I will need to turn to expedite the process.

Just a quick background. I graduated from Cal Maritime '08. Have since been working on ship assist tractor tugs in the inland waters of SF bay. Will be putting in for my 500T Master/Master of Tow.

Current license is: 3rd Unlimited, Oceans, 100T Master, Mate of Towing Endorsement, Current Radar observer unlmtd., STCW etc etc all that is up to date.

Here is my list so far, please take a look and tell me if I am missing anything, or if anything listed is not required:

1. Proof of Seatime
  2. Completed Application
  3. Application fee
  4. Coast Guard approved physical? Will I need one for the upgrade?

Anthing else I am missing?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I’ve always went by the checklist for the particular license (from NMC’s website), checked that line by line and I even included that in the application pack as the cover letter, just to make it easy on them and to hopefully expedite the process. I have never had one hiccup by doing this, and it certainly cannot hurt. Just make sure that your towing time and route is included in your sea-time letter - it needs to reflect that for a renewal.

Gotta have the drug program/test stuff.

Good catch!! They have a standard form on the nmc website for that, just have your captain sign it saying they company does random drug tests and you’ll be fine.

Don’t forget blinker light…