Question for J.D. Cavo

Chief Cavo, I hold a 100 GRT Master and 200GRT Mate. I was wondering if the Coast Gaurd will issue my 200 GRT Master when my year is up, or do I have to apply for an upgrade? My year will be coming up in a few weeks so I was wondering.

[QUOTE=Splash;15547]Chief Cavo, I hold a 100 GRT Master and 200GRT Mate. I was wondering if the Coast Gaurd will issue my 200 GRT Master when my year is up, or do I have to apply for an upgrade? My year will be coming up in a few weeks so I was wondering.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I might be able to save Mr. Cavo some time here. You always have to apply to the USCG for an upgrade, renewal, etc. Nothing happens automatically.

Splash, since no further testing is necessary for that upgrade,just additional sea time, isn’t it only 180 days on vessels over 151 tons? 25% of the highest tonnage…

wrong you do have to test for the 200 ton upgrade. along with the sea time.

He said he already had the 200 ton mate…He would have had to test for that already

under CFR 10.427 …see attached link

It states to have an endorsement over 100 tons additional testing will be required …True.

.But if he has a mate 200 already then the testing has already been completed…

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/46cfr10_02.html

Thanks. I don’t check gCaptain as much lately as the forums seem to have some script that locks up IE on Coast Guard networks. If I hit it just right between loading the text of the message and the start of the script I can post, but it usually takes a few tries and I’m not always patient enough to keep at it.
Anyway, you’re correct, you have to apply, nothing is automatic.