About to start towing, one question

I guess I’d take a more practical approach that assumes:

Virtually all vessels large enough to have licensed officers who would have a radar endorsement, in fact do have radar (whether it’s required or not),

Therefore, virtually all licensed officers serving on their licenses use radar.

If there any licensed officers that don’t use radar, their numbers are so few as to be trivial.

We could have just kept the status quo and everyone takes a course…

1 Like

So,

My application hasn’t even made it past the REC yet (Submitted on Dec. 28) due to my seatime letter not being worded correctly due to the alcohol and drug screen portion.

Here’s the verbiage from the sea time letter:

And this is from the REC:

I’m beginning to understand what you mean.

Unless there is more info in that letter than your excerpt, it does not show you meet the requirements, the dates are missing and there is a date/time recency requirement for participating in a random program.

it’s a particularly poor letter. It also comes up short on the radar renewal. The words are in the regs, how hard is it to use them and eliminate any doubt?

The rest of the letter includes vessels served on with the watches and days total.

Overall I agree on the quality of the letter being poor and it’s the first time I’ve had a letter rejected due to the requirements of 719P.

I instead opted to submit to the REC my pre employment drug/alcohol screen (dated 15NOV2022) with the results and I’m hoping that will suffice in lieu of the letter which we can observe is fubar.

When I have my sea letters done I usually type them up myself with the appropriate info my employer has given me: sea time, etc, the particular wording the CG wants: radar, etc, and have HR simply print it out on company letterhead.

That way I’m not nagging some underworked and overpayed yet clueless HR girl to get it right.

3 Likes

That’s a pro tip. I’ll see about making my own in the future. Thanks.

@jdcavo

I’ve been sailing on several towing vessels and have seen some credentials without a tonnage restriction on their towing endorsement and some with a tonnage restriction.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of how tonnage applies to a towing endorsement in the CFRs so that when/if receive my endorsement from the NMC I won’t be surprised by what comes my way.

Thanks.

Edit: the reason im asking is because I did not observe a tonnage restriction on the checklists.

Many are the result of grandfathering when the Master/Mate of TV endorsements were created based on restrictions to their older licenses. But that was 20 years ago, and I have heard of more recent issues, I am not sure why those might have a tonnage limit. Removing the tonnage limit for the grandfathering based limitation is addressed in “FAQ” no. 13 in Enclosure (1) of NVIC 3-16.

1 Like