Able Seafarer-Deck Question

I got out of the navy in 2005 and back in 2016 I applied for a new book.

Basic training
OS
Wiper
Stewards Department (F.H)
Security Awareness
PSC (lifeboatman)

I am lacking RFPNW. My question is if I take that class and submit my request would they give me the sticker? Keep in mind I have not worked As a AB limited in the last 5 years. I called the NMC and she did say something about an exemption because I am holding the title in my book but she was not sure. Just don’t want to wast money if I don’t have too.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;194701]I got out of the navy in 2005 and back in 2016 I applied for a new book.

Basic training
OS
Wiper
Stewards Department (F.H)
Security Awareness
PSC (lifeboatman)

I am lacking RFPNW. My question is if I take that class and submit my request would they give me the sticker? Keep in mind I have not worked As a AB limited in the last 5 years. I called the NMC and she did say something about an exemption because I am holding the title in my book but she was not sure. Just don’t want to wast money if I don’t have too.[/QUOTE]

A course probably isn’t going to be enough for RFPNW, unless it is more than a couple of days long and makes use of a simulator. There are a series of practical assessments you need to do also (steering, lookout, etc.). If you completed the Navy’s PQS for helmsman and lookout, that will cover the assessments.

You will also need to show six months of seagoing service, which includes training and experience associated with navigational watchkeeping functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the supervision of the master or mate.

I’m not aware of any “exemptions.” The only thing I can think of that this might be referring to is a grandfathering provision for Able Seafarer-Deck that would include getting RFPNW. That grandfathering expired January 1, 2017, and is no longer available.

So I will be turned down just on the grounds of not working offshore alone. Well this does suck.

And not having ab deck on the sticker just makes me a os correct?

There is a difference between able seaman and able seafarer deck, if you had ab limited before why happened ?

Political correctness.

Yes if you’re book says OS, you’re still OS, even if you have a few other endorsements. Gotta get that sea time.

My book says AB limited (2016) but the job i am applying for wants able seafarer deck in the books. But it looks like if i take the 2 day course at L.E. Fletcher (rfpnw) I should get my sticker

Seafarers holding a rating endorsement as able seaman beforeJanuary 1, 2017, will be eligible for this endorsement upon showingevidence of:1. Holding an endorsement as RFPNW, and2. Having satisfactorily completed approved training in:i. Proficiency in Survival Craft orii. Proficiency in Survival Craft - Limited

IF i am reading that correct.

I think there was a deadline for that, search the forum there was a recent post about it

Message matechristine she knows

[QUOTE=jdcavo;194708]A course probably isn’t going to be enough for RFPNW, unless it is more than a couple of days long and makes use of a simulator. There are a series of practical assessments you need to do also (steering, lookout, etc.). If you completed the Navy’s PQS for helmsman and lookout, that will cover the assessments.

You will also need to show six months of seagoing service, which includes training and experience associated with navigational watchkeeping functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the supervision of the master or mate.

I’m not aware of any “exemptions.” The only thing I can think of that this might be referring to is a grandfathering provision for Able Seafarer-Deck that would include getting RFPNW. That grandfathering expired January 1, 2017, and is no longer available.[/QUOTE]

How about this then
"[I]NEW *** Only request 180 days of watchstanding if the applicant only holds Ordinary Seaman and has not applied for any
Able Seaman endorsement on the same application. If both Able Seaman and RFPNW requested, applicant must qualify for
Able Seaman (including Lifeboatman) and pass examinations if no documented watchstanding submitted with application. If
applicant wants RFPNW issued prior to testing for Able Seama
n, you must obtain documentation of watchstanding.[/I]"

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Menizzi;194722]My book says AB limited (2016) but the job i am applying for wants able seafarer deck in the books. But it looks like if i take the 2 day course at L.E. Fletcher (rfpnw) I should get my sticker

Seafarers holding a rating endorsement as able seaman beforeJanuary 1, 2017, will be eligible for this endorsement upon showingevidence of:1. Holding an endorsement as RFPNW, and2. Having satisfactorily completed approved training in:i. Proficiency in Survival Craft orii. Proficiency in Survival Craft - Limited

IF i am reading that correct.[/QUOTE]

This is the confusing bit that can be interpreted in two ways. I called NMC 3 or so different times and received a totally different response each time about it.
I have also posted a thread on gCaptain with this exact same question and no, seems like you indeed have to just qualify under the new requirements from Jan 1, 2017 onwards (which has its own can of worms)

I have found some places that offer the class but no were near Texas. lol.

[QUOTE=sjöman;194733]
This is the confusing bit that can be interpreted in two ways. I called NMC 3 or so different times and received a totally different response each time about it.[/QUOTE]

It is a good idea to use email when you contact the NMC so you will always get the answer in writing. Always leave a paper trail.

I second that. The live chat works very well, I’ll usually take pics or print the conversation out.

[QUOTE=ItsJody;194738]I second that. The live chat works very well, I’ll usually take pics or print the conversation out.[/QUOTE]

The live chat has never worked on my computer, and a few others that I have tried.

[QUOTE=sjöman;194770]The live chat has never worked on my computer, and a few others that I have tried.[/QUOTE]

Oh never you mind, it does work for me now. It would not work from mid november until end of december.

To OP, the live chat indeed is a great option to ask your questions, as mentioned above; screenshot that stuff and it is on paper for you to refer back to.