AB to 3rd Mate Unlimited Assessment

Hello to the forum,
I am an AB on an 280ft OSV vessel I have all the days I need for a 3rd Mate Unlimited and I have just received my assessment book but I am confused as to who can asses me and what size vessel I need to be assessed on. I hope someone can help clear this up for me. Thanks

Hey Xavierts29

Welcome to the board…

Are you familiar with Leonard Lambert’s book “The New Hawsepipe”? If not, you should really get a hold of it.

Here’s a recent interview with him…

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/the-new-hawespipe-interview-leonard-lambert/

Also, I’m assuming you’ve used the search feature here, there’s been lots of past discussion on this subject.

Looking forward to your participation, and hearing about your journey.

[QUOTE=xavierts29;29309]Hello to the forum,
I am an AB on an 280ft OSV vessel I have all the days I need for a 3rd Mate Unlimited and I have just received my assessment book but I am confused as to who can asses me and what size vessel I need to be assessed on. I hope someone can help clear this up for me. Thanks[/QUOTE]

2nd Mate and above, vessels must be over 200 tons. Policy Letter 1-02 says management level as well which to me means 1600 master should be able to sign them but I would seek clarification. You must meet sea service requirements of CFR 10.402. Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=Diesel;29321]2nd Mate and above, vessels must be over 200 tons. Policy Letter 1-02 says management level as well which to me means 1600 master should be able to sign them but I would seek clarification. You must meet sea service requirements of policy letter 10.402. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

1600 ton Master is correct…the 3rd Mate and 1600 ton Mate is left out because the CG did not want green mates doing OICNW assessments. Makes perfect sense.

asked a similar question to the NMC a month or so back…after explaining that I was a master 1600/3000tn oceans w/ STCW II/2…they stated that I would not be able to conduct OICNW accessments…only 2nd mate or higher can conduct those accessments…don’t like the implications…saved the email…pretty scarey…go figure??

From: D05-SMB-NMC-Questions <D05-SMB-NMC-QUESTIONS@USCG.MIL>
Subject: RE: OICNW assessment JG
To: XXXXXX
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 9:19 AM

Mr. XXXXXX,

You will not be able to conduct these assessments because you have to be a Second Mate or higher.

Thanks for contacting the Maritime Information Call Center

XXXXXX
Security Assistance Corporation
Contractor for U.S.Coast Guard
MICC-Lead
National Maritime Center
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404

So according to policy letter 1-02 section 11©,

a 1600 master who’s “based service” began before Aug 1, 1998

can sign his own assessments for his 3rd mate?

This is so F’d up. Anyone have any idea what is happening in regards to this confusing “Master 1600 to 3rd mate, 1-02 policy letter” debacle when the regs. change?

[QUOTE=seadawg;29325]asked a similar question to the NMC a month or so back…after explaining that I was a master 1600/3000tn oceans w/ STCW II/2…they stated that I would not be able to conduct OICNW accessments…only 2nd mate or higher can conduct those accessments…don’t like the implications…saved the email…pretty scarey…go figure??

From: D05-SMB-NMC-Questions <D05-SMB-NMC-QUESTIONS@USCG.MIL>
Subject: RE: OICNW assessment JG
To: XXXXXX
Date: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 9:19 AM

Mr. XXXXXX,

You will not be able to conduct these assessments because you have to be a Second Mate or higher.

Thanks for contacting the Maritime Information Call Center

XXXXXX
Security Assistance Corporation
Contractor for U.S.Coast Guard
MICC-Lead
National Maritime Center
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404[/QUOTE]

They are full of crap. That would be an easy one to beat. How would a 1600 ton Mate ever get a 1600 ton Master License?

I agree…but consider the source…Security Assistance Corporation “contractor for USCG”??

MNC policy letter 01-02, enclosure 1 para 7.c.
<O:p</O:p
“The assessments of competency for this certification may be carried out by a mariner who is serving on the vessel upon which the applicant is employed and who holds either:
(1) STCW certification at the management level (master or chief mate); or
(2) STCW certification as an officer in charge of a navigational watch and a second mate’s license.”

(xavierts29, it also reads that to go for 3rd Mate ya gotta be an AB [U]Unlimited[/U] or AB [U]Limited)[/U]

[QUOTE=anchorman;29329]They are full of crap. That would be an easy one to beat. How would a 1600 ton Mate ever get a 1600 ton Master License?[/QUOTE]

1, Exactly, how retarded.

[quote=xavierts29;29309]Hello to the forum,
I am an AB on an 280ft OSV vessel I have all the days I need for a 3rd Mate Unlimited and I have just received my assessment book but I am confused as to who can asses me and what size vessel I need to be assessed on. I hope someone can help clear this up for me. Thanks[/quote]

A 1600 Master or 2nd Mate Unlimited (or higher) can do the assessments for you. The vessel that I was on when I did my assessments was 1708 grt. Check out policy letter 01-02. Note that there are 3 seperate files associated with 01-02. The link that I have above is for the first part only. You will gather much information from this document.

I had a 1600 ton Master sign off my assessments for 3M. I also have a copy of an email from NMC (USCG person, not 3rd party contractor) stating that a 1600 Master Oceans can sign off 3M assessments, Including Oceans.

For those of you at ECO, I got the copy of that email from Gumbo.

thanks to the existence of this forum in part…it is my understanding…the NMC Maritime Information Call Center should soon be changing the way they answer the question as to who may conduct OICNW onboard accessments…the master/II-2 500/1200tn and master/II-2 1600/3000tn will been noted in their data base or whatever “base” they use…curious as to what other anomalies still exist in the “never never land” of the NMC…“inquiring minds want to know”??