Upgrading a restricted 3rd mate unlimited

How do you upgrade a third mate unlimited limited to 1600 tons to a unrestricted. Would you have to go back to being an AB on a unlimited vessel for 540 days?

Get on a boat over 1600 GRT or something 10,000 or over ITC.

Tonnage limits on 3rd Mate are only given in increments of 1,000, and the lowest possible is 2,000 GRT [46 CFR 11.402(b)]

I was hoping it was possible to get a third mate ticket on a 3000 itc vessel. Someone told me this used to be the case, is it no longer?

[QUOTE=mb05j;63102]I was hoping it was possible to get a third mate ticket on a 3000 itc vessel. Someone told me this used to be the case, is it no longer?[/QUOTE]

It’s possible. Since we consider 3,000 GT to be equivalent to 1600 GRT, you’ll get a tonnage restriction as you will not have time on vessels over 1600 GRT/3000 GT. 46 CFR 11.402 explains how the trestiction is calcualted, and how to remove it. If the vessels you got at least half of your time were exactly 1600 GRT and/or 3000 GT, or very close to those tonnages, the restriction would be for 3000 GRT and/or 5000 GT.

If the assessments are signed off by a 1600 ton master, can you get the third mate unlimited limited too 1600 tons, or can you only get a 1600 ton?

[QUOTE=mb05j;63131]If the assessments are signed off by a 1600 ton master, can you get the third mate unlimited limited too 1600 tons, or can you only get a 1600 ton?[/QUOTE]

Assessments are for STCW, not the license. You don’t have to get STCW in order to get the license of 3rd Mate. STCW and the asserssments have nothing to do with the tonnage limit on your 3rd Mate, that’s determined solely by your sea service.

A 1600 ton master with STCW II/2 can sign off any STCW assessment, including for chief mate / master unlimited.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63188]A 1600 ton master with STCW II/2 can sign off any STCW assessment, including for chief mate / master unlimited.[/QUOTE]

They cannot sign for chief mate /master. Currently the only assessments for chief mate and master are for over 1600 GRT / 3000 GT. A 1600 GRT master cannot sign an assessment for vessels they are not authorized themselves to serve on. If assessments for master/chief mate not more than 1600 GRT are published, a master 1600 GR will probably be able to sign them.

So then only a CM or Master u/l sign cm/master assessments off.

Here’s one for you…
Is a 1600/3000 ton oceans master with ARPA, GMDSS, ECDIS, VSO, med care provider, and flashing light (but does not have OICNW specifically stated on his MMC) allowed to sail as master on a vessel over 200 tons in international (STCW) waters? If so, then why doesn’t my STCW license say OICNW, if I am authorized to sail as one? And can I sign OICNW assessments for other aspiring masters and mates of this level if I do not have OICNW on my MMC? If so, can’t I sign myself off and send in the assessments to have OICNW added to my license? I’m very confused :slight_smile:

Is that in writing somewhere? All I have ever heard is that the person signing off needs STCW II/2. A 1600 ton master has that.

Do you have to receive the license within one year of doing the assessments? In other words, if I do the assessments then don’t apply for my 3rd mate for over a year, do I have to redo the assessments?

No the assessments do not expire.
But you could apply for your STCW rating for OICNW,there is no fee for that,and have it shown on your MMD.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63209]Is that in writing somewhere? All I have ever heard is that the person signing off needs STCW II/2. A 1600 ton master has that.[/QUOTE]

You’re right. It’s not in writing. The NMC policy letter does not include a tonnage requirement for the assessor. So, my earlier respoinse was not accuate, the tonnage authority of the assessor would onbly be an issue when the performance condition of the assessment includes a tonnage for the vessel the assessment is doner on. There are a few of those, but not many. If tonnage is not mentioned as a condition of the assessment, a Master 1600 GRT will be abvle to do them.

Mr Cavo, does that hold true for management level assessments as well?

He was taking about assessments for II/2.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;63324]He was taking about assessments for II/2.[/QUOTE]
For unlimited licenses A-II/2 (Management) is for Master / Chief Mate; A-II/1 (Operational) is for 3M / 2M

So I could do them on a large osv with a 1600 ton master that holds a master osv 6000? The tonnage is over 3000 gt and the assessor is properly licensed for the vessel…

Where are the assessments for chief mate master? Which policy letter (s)?