AB ticket

Can I go to a REC and test for an AB or is it all farmed out to “approved” schools? I did a search but didn’t come up with anything.

Thanks,

Nemo

From what I can see, yes, you can still test for both AB modules, and Lifeboatman at the REC’s upon evaluation and approval to test from NMC.

You can find application information here: MMD Qualified Ratings Application Info

Hope that helps…

[quote=El Capitan;7466]From what I can see, yes, you can still test for both AB modules, and Lifeboatman at the REC’s upon evaluation and approval to test from NMC.

You can find application information here: MMD Qualified Ratings Application Info

Hope that helps…[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that Life boatman isn’t done at the RECs anymore…

Nemo - I tested at the REC back in 2005. I am pretty sure that you can still test at the REC. You will have to do a Lifeboatman (PSC) class at a school as the REC does not have the ability to do the assesments required.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the replies. I thought that was the case.
Thanks again.
Nemo

You can do the written Lifeboatman exam at the REC. However, the practical needs to be done at an REC that has a working lifeboat model (if they haven’t phased this out as with the Flashing Light Exam), or it will be most likely be included in your PSC class. If not, you can do the practical at a school that offers the class.

Thanks EC,

That’s what I thought.

Maybe Mr. Cavo will chime in. I’m interested in what the NMC’s stance is on this.

Once again, thanks. What a wealth of information…

Nemo

I think everything above is accurate, except the part about taking a scale-model practical exam at an REC. That hasn’t been done (oer shouldn’t have nbeen done) for years. We can no longer get the small-scale people to man the boat (ala the Stonehenge concert scene in “This is Spinal Tap”…). You can take the written Lifeboatman exam at the REC and have the Captain of your ship sign the practical, but that won’t work with STCW, for that you need to take a course and the course will cover the written LB exam.

I think you can still take the knot-tying at the REC, but don’t really know. I’ll have to check.

I checked with the RECs and they still give the knot-tying. We have some issues to work out with one of them, apparently they stopped making you tie the knots and just show you a picture and ask you to identify the knot. No idea who thought that was OK to do, but it’ll change, soon.

Thank you Mr. Cavo.

I had hopes that what you described was the case. Testing for the AB at a REC is much cheaper than going to a school. The “Survival Craft Proficiency” is a different deal.

Once again, thanks. You do good work.

Nemo