AB Special Requirement Confusion

RFPNW are needed to work on a vessel over 200 tons in international waters as an AB, not needed for inland, from what I have seen most companies want the AB to have RFPNW, if you have your 500 ton master NC depending on when it was issued you [U]might[/U] already been grandfathered in, you would need to check with NMC on that, as for BST you will likely need that, louisiana has the cheapest place to take it, you can always do the RFPNW in the simulator but you would need to talk to the schools about the sea time needed

so I understand that the FRPNW is not required on near coastal towing vessels under 200 ton?

Just out of curiosity SF Deckhand, while you went through this in the beginning when it wasn’t “real work” yet, was it enough to get by on? If not did you or would you have had time to hold down a full time job AND do that stuff? I’m wanting to join one of these unions and work on tugs or ferries I have MMC TWIC 2 of the 4 BST classes (taking them in chunks since I work full time now). It’s just tough to leave a full time job to take a chance if it’s not regular work. Also once you’re in, is there a promise of regular work? I mean isn’t that what unions are theoretically for? Any info or advice would help. Thanks