AB OSV Questions

I was always told to upgrade as soon as possible, I will soon have enough seatime to get AB OSV. My intentions would be to go find an OSV job after that and use that time to upgrade from there. My question is, I was told at my job (I work on a ferry) that OSV only applies to boats in the gulf of mexico 200 miles from shore. Is this correct or could I look at oil work up north etc.

Second what exactly are the limitations, someone said I could work on a vessel as an AB as long as they have the required number of AB unlimited? Is this true? I’m just looking for the most effective means to get to an unlimited AB and then move on from there.

Thanks!

AB OSV is good for only that, working as AB on an Offshore Supply Vessel (Subchapter L) regardless of operational area (GOM, Alaska or wherever). To be AB on anything other than an OSV you need AB Special, Limited, or Unlimited. That being said, if you intend on trying to find work on an OSV you should go for it. Then upgrade to Special as soon as you can so you are not restricted to only OSVs. Also work on getting your RFPNW, as an AB ticket is not much good without it unless you work exclusively on inland vessels.

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;85832]AB OSV is good for only that, working as AB on an Offshore Supply Vessel (Subchapter L) regardless of operational area (GOM, Alaska or wherever). To be AB on anything other than an OSV you need AB Special, Limited, or Unlimited. That being said, if you intend on trying to find work on an OSV you should go for it. Then upgrade to Special as soon as you can so you are not restricted to only OSVs. Also work on getting your RFPNW, as an AB ticket is not much good without it unless you work exclusively on inland vessels.[/QUOTE]Any other classes, i’ve managed to save a pretty large amount of money and am in no huge rush as between my 3 (sadly) jobs I have saved a great deal.

There is nothing sad about having 3 jobs and doing everything you can to better yourself. I don’t know what your aspirations are and what tonnage and route vessels you are currently working. If you don’t intend on working on a seagoing vessel over 200 Gross Register Tons you don’t usually need RFPNW or some of the other associated courses/endorsements for AB. You have to do the Lifeboatman or Lifeboatman Limited courses to qualify for any AB rating, so I would do that first. I would do the full lifeboatman. Then if you intend on working on seagoing vessels over 200 GRT do your Basic Safety Training (required for RFPNW also) and start working towards your RFPNW. Be sure to reference the checklists on the NMC website to make sure you have everything you need.