AB exam study guides?

Hello all,

New to the forum here. Ive just applied to the USCG to test for an AB endorsement at the REC. I am looking for some sort of book/study guide/test questions to work with. Do any of you have any advice to offer? I have already taken BST, PSC (Lifeboatman) and I am going for my AB OSV.

Thanks again!

There are many reference books out there that would help…The Navy’s BM 3/2 and their Seaman book is good also… Chapmans seamanship and small boat handling, the list goes on and on…There is one website that I like to take practice tests on… www.seasources.net …The thing with all of these suggestions is that there is a lot more info than you will need to test for AB OSV…So what do you concentrate on? How will you know what will be asked?

It looks to me like you will test, modules 461XX Deck General and Navigation General also module 462XX Deck safety and Rules of the Road…Also a knot tying demonstration…

There are literally thousands of questions in the CG test bank on these subjects…Being you stated that you are applying for AB OSV. that would mean to me that your sea service would be between 180 and 360 days…Unless you have a really strong nautical background in that time, may I suggest taking an AB course in lieu of testing at the local REC…?..These courses are full of great information that is directed at what you will be expected to know as an AB…

The only books you will need are published by Maritme Education Textbooks ( the big blue books) There are 2 books, vol 1 & 2 for Able Seaman. To buy from the publisher or from a maritime book store they will cost you $90 each. They are very well written, easy to use, and if you read & study them both you will have no problem passing your exams. However, you should be able to buy them used or maybe from amazon.com or other similar internet site.

Thanks, I am only going for the AB OSV because I would need to have the RFPNW as a part of the STCW endorsment for the special or limited, of which I have the sea time for both. The problem is that all of my sea time is 100tons or less, and the STCW requirement says that I have to have @least 90 days on boats 200t or greater. As far as the class, yes that would be the best way to go but not able to right now. So Im stuck with studying and testing at the REC. Thanks for the info, Ive checked out eh seasource site, and like you said all questions for all tests/levels have been jumbled up and it shows me how much I need to learn!

[QUOTE=Azimuth;35406]The only books you will need are published by Maritme Education Textbooks ( the big blue books) There are 2 books, vol 1 & 2 for Able Seaman. To buy from the publisher or from a maritime book store they will cost you $90 each. They are very well written, easy to use, and if you read & study them both you will have no problem passing your exams. However, you should be able to buy them used or maybe from amazon.com or other similar internet site.[/QUOTE]

The only way to go!

Ask some (or all) of your shipmates if they have the blue books. www.landfallnavigation.com http://www.landfallnavigation.com/ablelife.html also, check out Ebay, and Craigs list. I use www.searchtempest.com that way you can specifically look for the item you need.
The blue books are the way to go.

If you are looing to actually advance later there is another set of books. Murphys books. They are published by a MMA teacher who updates them each year (or so). They are 80 bucks approx. per book. I imagine you would not need all of them (there are 7 of them total) but these cover all the topics you will ever see on any exam.

[QUOTE=jay1432;35426]Thanks, I am only going for the AB OSV because I would need to have the RFPNW as a part of the STCW endorsment for the special or limited, of which I have the sea time for both. …[/QUOTE]

You do not need to qualify for RFPNW to get any AB endorsement. They are separate and you can get any level of AB without STCW.

I think you may be confused with your companies ‘requirement’ that you have STCW, and RPFNW. These are NOT part of the AB (or ANY endorsement.) Some companies are making it a requirement to get hired to have AB, STCW, and RPFNW to get in the door. This is unfairly punishing new ‘entry level’ potential employees out of contention for entry level jobs.

Not every vessel is required to have STCW crewmembers, nor is the RPFNW required on most vessels. However it appears that companies don’t want to pay for training, so they expect everyone to go get this on their own, and paying for it themselves. I believe this is a misguided interpretation by AWO, and some (most) companies, so they can say to customers: “Hey, we have completely crewed our vessels with 1.A.B’s, 2. everyone is STCW compliant, 3. and everyone is a watchstanding crewmember.”

You can go get your A.B. and lifeboatman when you have the required amount of time of the requisite vessels. GO GET IT! Get a pay raise!

[QUOTE=cappy208;35515]

Some companies are making it a requirement to get hired to have AB, STCW, and RPFNW to get in the door. This is unfairly punishing new ‘entry level’ potential employees out of contention for entry level jobs.

[/QUOTE]

Cappy, I think you are right on the money…From my experience I have found some companies don’t completely understand what RFPNW is based on some of the interviews I had…it seems that some have decided to require it as it makes it easy to move personel to different vessels…It takes the guess work out of it…

Jay, if you have the time for AB Limited I would go for it as Mr Cavo suggested…good luck

good luck at whatever you decide to do. I am an AB unlimited with STCW and all i get is promises of jobs but not the actual job.

cappy and azimuth, I just dug my books out of a box. I have revised edition F. In the link, they are showing revised edition J, and that’s from 2002. Think mine will still be accurate, what with all the new rules and all?!?!? BTW, have a note on the back that says “test Mon 7:30am Apr 15 '91”. I think I had to redo rules of the road. Not bad after cramming for 5 days. The books to have.

[QUOTE=cappy208;35515]I think you may be confused with your companies ‘requirement’ that you have STCW, and RPFNW. These are NOT part of the AB (or ANY endorsement.) Some companies are making it a requirement to get hired to have AB, STCW, and RPFNW to get in the door. This is unfairly punishing new ‘entry level’ potential employees out of contention for entry level jobs.

Not every vessel is required to have STCW crewmembers, nor is the RPFNW required on most vessels. However it appears that companies don’t want to pay for training, so they expect everyone to go get this on their own, and paying for it themselves. I believe this is a misguided interpretation by AWO, and some (most) companies, so they can say to customers: “Hey, we have completely crewed our vessels with 1.A.B’s, 2. everyone is STCW compliant, 3. and everyone is a watchstanding crewmember.”

You can go get your A.B. and lifeboatman when you have the required amount of time of the requisite vessels. GO GET IT! Get a pay raise![/QUOTE]

How is this practice punitive? It is a direct result of our economic climate. They are hiring the most qualified candidate, which is what I would do and what they should do. Also I know of no companies that require STCW to get hired as a standard of policy, but most have it as a requirement in order to get paid as an AB.

What he said…easy to follow and comprehend.
[I]"The only books you will need are published by Maritme Education Textbooks ( the big blue books) There are 2 books, vol 1 & 2 for Able Seaman. To buy from the publisher or from a maritime book store they will cost you $90 each. They are very well written, easy to use, and if you read & study them both you will have no problem passing your exams. "[/I]

The blue books as mentioned already for your test; “American Merchant Seaman” new, about $45 retail for your library.

When I studied for AB the only thing I studied was the USCG “Rules of the Road” insruction book and tihs:
(it was the size of a TV Guide, I carried it around in my back pocket and studied it whenever and wherever…)
[B][ATTACH=CONFIG]1058[/ATTACH][/B]
[B]The Cornell Manual
for Lifeboatmen,
Able Seamen, and Qualified Members of Engine Department, Second Edition
[/B][B]John M. Keever
Based on the earlier edition by [/B][B]William B. Hayler[/B][B], John M. Keever, and [/B][B]Paul M. Seiler [/B]

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width=260><TBODY><TR><TD class=price width=73>[B]$12.00[/B]</TD><TD class=price width=62>[B][/B]</TD><TD class=price width=95></STRONG></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
[LEFT]2004 | 175 pp | Illustrations | Black-and-white photographs | References | Appendices | 4.5×7 | Paper | 978-0-87033-559-4[/LEFT]
[I]The Cornell Manual[/I] was first published in 1984 to replace CG-175, a small handbook issued by the U.S. Coast Guard. Over the last two decades it has become a standard manual for those who choose to follow the sea and who want to prepare themselves for the Coast Guard examinations. The second edition of the manual has been updated to reflect current information and procedures, and includes for the various ratings requirements for documents.

[I]The Cornell Manual[/I] describes safety practices—lifeboat operations, survival procedures, rescue and evacuation details, firefighting, and first aid—that should be understood by all mariners. Of particular value are the sample multiple-choice questions and answers for both the lifeboatman and able seaman Coast Guard examinations.

This is the same book I used in the early '70s. They were free from the CG then.

[QUOTE=RkyMtn Paul;40531]cappy and azimuth, I just dug my books out of a box. I have revised edition F. In the link, they are showing revised edition J, and that’s from 2002. Think mine will still be accurate, what with all the new rules and all?!?!? BTW, have a note on the back that says “test Mon 7:30am Apr 15 '91”. I think I had to redo rules of the road. Not bad after cramming for 5 days. The books to have.[/QUOTE]
I think they should be just fine. I don’t believe the “new rules” affect the stuff you need to know to pass the AB exam.

accident lawyer nashville