AB duties on a Drillship

Was offered a position on a Drillship,fairly big as an AB,Ive always been on Tugs,Can anyone tell me how vigorous the work is on these Ships and AB duties,Wheelwatch?

In my experience, the primary focus is preventative maintenance. Some chipping and painting, some lifeboat inspection, inspecting fire and safety systems with either the 3rd or Bosun depending on the rig. Everything is usually paced by computerized job management system these days and is done at an even pace. You’re likely not going to be doing much back-breaking work on a drill ship, and you likely won’t ever be on the bridge unless you’re just passing through.

Which company?

[QUOTE=edshannah;88904]Was offered a position on a Drillship,fairly big as an AB,Ive always been on Tugs,Can anyone tell me how vigorous the work is on these Ships and AB duties,Wheelwatch?[/QUOTE]

Definitely no wheelwatch unless underway. Your position will be mostly deck maintenance and possibly working with pumps and valves in the pumprooms.

[QUOTE=edshannah;88904]Was offered a position on a Drillship,fairly big as an AB,Ive always been on Tugs,Can anyone tell me how vigorous the work is on these Ships and AB duties,Wheelwatch?[/QUOTE]

No wheelwatch ever! You will be painting, cleaning, Fire Fighting Equipment and Life Saving Equipment PMs. Thats pretty much it. Maybe on some, depending on how they have their departments set up, you will be involved in helicopter operations.

Its Pacific Drilling,Ship Pacific Santa ana

I know a drillship AB who does nothing but order spares for the deck dept. He loves it. The rig hands do the painting, he hasnt touched a paint brush since he got there, 6 months ago.

The ABs were buffing and grinding here on the PSA this very watch.

[QUOTE=dgillum214;89010]The ABs were buffing and grinding here on the PSA this very watch.[/QUOTE]

My ABs and Roustabouts try to hide all night, thats also in the job description.

Do these companies help out hawespipers? Sounds like dayman work on deep sea ships.

I just attended two classes and there were transocean,ensco, and noble employees there on the companys dime. Guys trying to upgrade hawsepipers. It was arpa and medical care provider.

[QUOTE=CurryAK;89052]I just attended two classes and there were transocean,ensco, and noble employees there on the companys dime. Guys trying to upgrade hawsepipers. It was arpa and medical care provider.[/QUOTE]

Some companies will be trying to get people through the upgrade process, since the classes have been removed. Then allow them to move onto the bridge as ADPO or Trainee DPO.

Whats the pay for an AB?

Is depends on the company?.. My guys make close to 90k

Whats the work schedule?

Depends on the company, but this has been covered in multiple threads already.

My understanding is its even time. 21/21 or 28/28 . Also A/B and up is paid travel but thats just what i heard.

I understand that Tranocean doesn’t pay travel for ABs.

If you were offered a position, then you have an offer letter. Salary is on that letter!!! Hummmmm. You sure you were offered a position?

yea was told all the info salary ,schedule,etc over the phone from Singapore in the process,so yea Hummmmmm,im good