Tug to drillship

What is the prevalence of A.B.'s going from tugs to drillships? Am I wrong to assume that osv’s seem to be an intermediary?

It seems as though that is the case. More so for deck officers seeking DP time and certification. Post your resume on Rigzone. I get a decent amount of job alerts that match my experience. The drill side appears to be difficult to break into, for deck AND engineering.

I got a call from a drill company while I worked as an AB on a tug. Pay was less and sounded real boring

@ kjf I’ve heard that if you’re bored on a tug then a drillship is going to bore you more?

It was chipping and painting all day with some random helo ops. They said I could move to the drilling floor in time. Didn’t sound good for my career

I didn’t realize tugs payed better than drillships for A.B.?

That depends on which drill ship and which tug. Most of our AB’s are 3rd mates fresh out of the academy that are just waiting for a mate spot to open up. They get paid well. We do have some hawsepipe AB’s, but not sure if any have come straight from a tug. Most I think come from the OSV side or construction.

Maybe they get paid more since they are waiting but I was offered 275

[QUOTE=“kfj;126465”]Maybe they get paid more since they are waiting but I was offered 275[/QUOTE]

15 years ago?!

I’d like to try to get on a drillship from a tug. Not much about knocking on doors of drill companies. From what I’ve gathered it isn’t well received like it is in osv world? I have contempt prior to investigation concerning putting my resume in a pool with thousands of others though I’ve accumulated a decent fairly comprehensive one.

[QUOTE=Hawesclaws;126471]I’d like to try to get on a drillship from a tug. Not much about knocking on doors of drill companies. From what I’ve gathered it isn’t well received like it is in osv world? I have contempt prior to investigation concerning putting my resume in a pool with thousands of others though I’ve accumulated a decent fairly comprehensive one.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are correct most drilling companies don’t like folks knocking on there door. I think most will send you away and tell you online applications only.

Talking to one of the HR lady’s a few months ago, she said they put up 50 open spots for roustabout at midnight. By 7 the next morning they had got 2500 online applications and the computer crashed. So ya it is tough to get noticed in a crowd like that. Keep trying someday your horse will win that race.

[QUOTE=“KrustySalt;126466”]

15 years ago?![/QUOTE]

Last year. I thought it was low too

[QUOTE=kfj;126491]Last year. I thought it was low too[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t matter what you start out at, its where you end up that counts.

Getting your foot in the drilling door is worth it — regardless of whatever the starting pay, or starting position, may be.

That’s true but all my sea time so far is useless for a 3rd mate so it would be like starting over. I’d rather be a 1600 mate in a year. That’s why I said I didn’t think it was good for my career