A shameless NPR puff piece championing flags of convenience

absolutely pathetic…I am EFFING ILL!

[B]Liberia’s ‘Flags Of Convenience’ Help It Stay Afloat[/B]

The weak Liberian economy has been hit by the Ebola crisis. One thing Liberia does have going for it is an unusual export — its flag. The Liberian flag is the second most popular flag flown by international cargo ships and is a huge source of revenue.

the entire piece tells of nothing more than a FUCKING GIVEAWAY to corporate interests! FUCK NPR!

[QUOTE=c.captain;147536]absolutely pathetic… FUCK NPR![/QUOTE]

Don’t shoot the messenger, all NPR did was tell how it got started and who profits.

the scumbags who need to be outed and dumped in the garbage heap of history are the politicians who permit treasonous business owners to sell out American jobs and industry.

[QUOTE=Steamer;147566]Don’t shoot the messenger, all NPR did was tell how it got started and who profits.

the scumbags who need to be outed and dumped in the garbage heap of history are the politicians who permit treasonous business owners to sell out American jobs and industry.[/QUOTE]

but NPR made it sound that this was a “good” thing…that it allowed shipowners to duck wages and regulations and make higher profits

Yea… aside from any economies gained from flags of convenience, they also create a poorly regulated venue for crime, terrorism, poor working conditions, and damaging the environment. Overall, I’d say the world loses more than it gains from flags of convenience.

I went and dug up some examples of FoC related examples of bad acting.

Crime:

Australian forces seize the North Korean drug-carrying ship Pong Su flying the flag of Tuvalu.

Terrorism:

The Liberian International Ship and Corporate Registry, made payments to Liberia’s despotic president, Charles Taylor. Charles Taylor is particularly well know for his infamous Small Boys Units.

Poor working conditions:

On October 24, 2014, a boat on the Coral Princess was being raised with two crew members aboard when a cable snapped. It fell into the water killing Husnan Fauzan and injuring Steven Bagshaw. The Coral Princess is Bermuda flagged. It makes you wonder about the crew training.

Damaging the environment:

The Deepwater Horizon’s registration was with the Marshall Islands…