A new OS resume

I am sort of new to these forums, but have been a long time lurker… One of the things I am having a hard time doing on these forums is the info for a mariner’s resume. I am currently waiting on my TWIC and MMC, and I want to get started on my resume. I am not sure is there is a different format that mariners use than other industries. I know film uses their own format, and aviation uses their own, I am curious if the mariners use their own and if they do, how should it be?

This is a good question and I would also be interested in getting some advice on this topic. I have been using the same format of resume that I have used for every job.

I have always used a pretty standard resume format, and it suits me fine. I have helped many aspiring new mariners write resumes as an instructor a few years back, and there was one thing I always emphasized. If you have zero or very little marine experience to fill your resume, you need to make every job you list, sound as though you did it with pride and it was very important to the overall scope of work.

So even if you flipped hamburgers at McDonald’s, your resume should reflect you were the best damn and most dedicated flipper, Ronald ever knew…

Take your time writing it and have others read and critique it for you, Any job you did with pride and dedication can show you are a good candidate for offshore work. Teamwork and dedication seem to set apart the great guys from the mediocre. Good luck with the career goals.

I have always use a standard resume also! If you own a Mac they have really good formats you can use.

Thanks for the input, I know different industries uses different reume formats. I used to do TV and film work and I have a resume tailored to that specific industry. I was not too sure if the mariners use something different than the traditional resume.

A resume is great but id say 75% of companies want you to fill out a job app and dont care about resumes.

[QUOTE=kfj;54924]A resume is great but id say 75% of companies want you to fill out a job app and dont care about resumes.[/QUOTE]
I’d love to see an example of a seaman’s resume, anyone know of one online? I can’t imagine submitting a generic resumé for a seaman’s job. I made a “sailing resume” based on the format of one I found online, and it doesn’t mention my other experience. I’m not quite sure how I would fit that in so it looks relevant.

If you want to obtain a job as a OS . I don’t know about the west or east coast but in the Gulf it’s all about footwork and enthusiasm . Face to face with the employer . Past experiences will help if it shows you are determined to advance . OS’s are easy to find . The company’s want licenses for the boats and most company’s in the Gulf want the hawsepipe route .

[QUOTE=B ry;59265]If you want to obtain a job as a OS . I don’t know about the west or east coast but in the Gulf it’s all about footwork and enthusiasm . Face to face with the employer . Past experiences will help if it shows you are determined to advance . OS’s are easy to find . The company’s want licenses for the boats and most company’s in the Gulf want the hawsepipe route .[/QUOTE]

I’m not in the Gulf, nor do I know anyone who lives there, so going down there with no knowledge of the landscape, or how things operate, won’t work for me. I’m more interested in research vessels or gov’t or overseas vessels anyway, so I’d have to apply online for those and would need a resume for that.

Maria msg me your email

[QUOTE=MariaW;59255]I’d love to see an example of a seaman’s resume, anyone know of one online? I can’t imagine submitting a generic resumé for a seaman’s job. I made a “sailing resume” based on the format of one I found online, and it doesn’t mention my other experience. I’m not quite sure how I would fit that in so it looks relevant.[/QUOTE]
i have Marine Engine Mechanic Certificate from the Regional Maritime University-Ghana

tacking on to this existing thread - Should I upload my TWIC/MMC/etc with my resume or just submit a standard resume stating i have those credentials and that they are available upon request?

Submit a standard resume stating you have those credentials and that they are available for viewing upon request.

Thanks! Appreciate the clarification - im trying to avoid as many hang ups as possible.