A Few Rating Questions

Hello everyone,

I have done prior searching here abd elsewhere and am pretty sure I know the answer but just want to verify by asking people who have possibly traveled down the same path as me at one point.

Here are my questions:

I have a Masters Lic NC w/towing endors. I got my seatime for this license on yachts and personal recreational vessels in inland, near coastal, and offshore waters. I am hoping to, in a few months when I finish college, to get my AB Special and STCW BST in Ft. Lauderdale at MPT USA. Since I aquired my lic in 2010 I will, in Novemeber, have put in over 2 years on the water working for Towboat US. All of these vessels with TBUS are less than 30’ w/ various small gross tonnages. From my research I understand that I can qualify for an AB Special (360 days). I am not sure though, due to the heiracrchy of ratings. Am I only qualified for Lifeboatmen? There appears to be GT requirements for LBman and AB Limited, but none under AB Special. The answer may be obvious but I would like to be 100% sure before I go through the class/cost/paperwork.

So with over 5 years documented seatime on vessels up to 50 GT am I qualified for an AB Special?

Also, I intend to go to the GOM to get my foot in door, having no experience on large commerical workboats/ships. To work on the patch, do I need STCW BST?

Thank you to all for your answers, I realize these questions may be redundant but I want to verify my assumptions by asking them specifically related to my situation. I look forward to a career in the workboat industry and envy those of you who already are there!

– Ted

I believe you are confusing a Commercial Assistance Towing Endorsement with a TOAR & MOTV.
They are completely different things, not related at all.

Although BST isn’t required by law for everybody, it is a significant stepping stone to getting a job.

AB Unlmtd requires service on vessels over 200 tons.
All AB ratings require Lifeboatman.
You should have enough time for an AB rating.

Use the search function to find out the rest.

With five years, you should go get AB Unlimited, you must first take lifeboatman. Also with 5 years over 50 tons you should be able to get 500 mate, after i think its 90 days as ab. And after you take your stcw classes but it can all be found on the coast guard nmc site under checklists.

Thank you for the replies. I have a commercial assist tow, I am well aware of the vast differences haha.

Should I look into RFPNW as well or will STCW BST, and LB to AB Spec be enough to get my foot in the door?

[QUOTE=TOWBOATTED;85364]Thank you for the replies. I have a commercial assist tow, I am well aware of the vast differences haha.

Should I look into RFPNW as well or will STCW BST, and LB to AB Spec be enough to get my foot in the door?[/QUOTE]

Most companies will require you to have your RFPNW and the 5 day BST course that work in the oil fields. The Lifeboatman is not a biggy but you may need the proficiency in survival craft. The type of AB is not a biggy either. Request the biggest you can get though. I think special and unlimited has to be over a certain tonnage though for your sea time.

My advise is to get your RFPNW, BST and proficiency in Survival craft done. Apply for your AB and take the test. Time you get that done it will be around spring and the big companies will be hiring. As soon as you get hired, start on your other schools and start on your assessments. This will take about a year or two and take the Mates test.

[QUOTE=seadog!;85311]…AB Unlmtd requires service on vessels over 200 tons…
[/QUOTE]

Only Able Seaman-Limited has a tonnage requirement, 100 gross tons. See 46 CFR 12.05-7(a)

[QUOTE=jdcavo;85393]Only Able Seaman-Limited has a tonnage requirement, 100 gross tons. See 46 CFR 12.05-7(a)[/QUOTE]

There you go, This man would know. You should have the time for AB unlimited.

Do you realize that seatime is a day [U]at sea for a minimum of 8 hours[/U]? Also, check this link, it has a nice clear graphic you may find useful <http://towmasters.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/ab_seatime_2011.pdf>.

[QUOTE=TOWBOATTED;85302]Hello everyone,

I have done prior searching here abd elsewhere and am pretty sure I know the answer but just want to verify by asking people who have possibly traveled down the same path as me at one point.

Here are my questions:

I have a Masters Lic NC w/towing endors. I got my seatime for this license on yachts and personal recreational vessels in inland, near coastal, and offshore waters. I am hoping to, in a few months when I finish college, to get my AB Special and STCW BST in Ft. Lauderdale at MPT USA. Since I aquired my lic in 2010 I will, in Novemeber, have put in over 2 years on the water working for Towboat US. All of these vessels with TBUS are less than 30’ w/ various small gross tonnages. From my research I understand that I can qualify for an AB Special (360 days). I am not sure though, due to the heiracrchy of ratings. Am I only qualified for Lifeboatmen? There appears to be GT requirements for LBman and AB Limited, but none under AB Special. The answer may be obvious but I would like to be 100% sure before I go through the class/cost/paperwork.

So with over 5 years documented seatime on vessels up to 50 GT am I qualified for an AB Special?

Also, I intend to go to the GOM to get my foot in door, having no experience on large commerical workboats/ships. To work on the patch, do I need STCW BST?

Thank you to all for your answers, I realize these questions may be redundant but I want to verify my assumptions by asking them specifically related to my situation. I look forward to a career in the workboat industry and envy those of you who already are there!

– Ted[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all for the replies and advice everyone! As I’m sure you realize I am virtually clueless but am doing my best to get my ducks in a row by spring. I spoke to MPT USA on the phone yesterday and they pretty much verified what you all are advising. They have class packages/programs in STCW BST (4 days) and AB (5 days w/ LB). The proficiency in survival craft was included in one of those package programs. Those packages essentially cover the whole k&k-- kind of like an all-in-one starting kit. I got my 100 T so I could work on the water and get seatime while working on my degree full time. That way I would have some experience to show and seatime to use in obtaining ratings.

The lady I spoke to over at MPT USA said that RFPNW and other assessments are a separate deal and only take about a day to complete for AB, STCW, etc. Is this true? I gather too that RFPNW is something you do after you take the courses, it being an assessment and all, is this also true?

All in all, what she told me was:

–[U]Take STCW BST course[/U]
–[U]Take AB course[/U]
–[U]Take RFPNW assessments[/U]
-[U]-Send in paperwork to USCG[/U]

– then I can start knocking on doors with confidence. Does that sound accurate to you all?

AB Special is the largest I would qualify for with my [U][B]documented[/B][/U] seatime I think. Perhaps I was unclear about my “5 years.” It is not absolute years in USCG terms, just years as linear time-span. I have about 400 actual 8 hr days since I started working under my license + the time to get my license which was measured in 4 hr days. I have to review it all and send in everything I got though when the time comes and hopefully get as large of an AB ticket as possible.

I plan on actually visiting MPT USA in Port Everglades on Tuesday, so I’m hoping to get some more details to share with you guys and see what you have to say.
Thank you again for everything. The information I’m getting off of gcaptain has been invaluable!

– Ted

For the RFNPW. You will get the assesments, but not the RFNPW per-se.

You have to get (90 days, I think) onboard a vessel of at least 200 gt to cover the other requirement for the endorsment.

This is a major issue for companies that only have unispected Towing vessel that are under the 200 GT.

If you have 1080, 8-hour days, there is no tonnage limit for an AB-Unlimited. Source: Got my AB earlier this year from a 99 GRT tug. Good luck!

Also, if you hold a masters license of any tonnage, there is no further sea time required for RFPNW. I received mine in the mail yesterday.

MERCHANT MARINERS DOCUMENT CODES:

STCW 95 Regulation

Specially Trained Ordinary Seaman (STOS) - RFPNW A-II/4
Able Seaman - RFPNW A-II/4

Qualified Member of Engine Department - RFPEW A-III/4

Search the threads on here for the “lookout duties only” aspect of the various RFPNW schools.

Now I’m totally confused…when I applied for my credentials I couldn’t get my RFPNW because I was told that I had to be signed off by a DE or a 500 Ton Master…and I have my 50 Ton Master license. Does anyone know the real story here?

You have. 50 tons master. Of you had a 200 ton master it looks like youdont need the RFNPW.

So for youre case, get your BST 5 day course that cover your basic STCW. Then take the A/B course. After that your lifeboatman.
Then your RFNPW assesments, but remember that not until you have the 90 days aboard a vessel of at least 200 GT youre RFNPW will not be complete.

[QUOTE=0rion;85573]You have. 50 tons master. Of you had a 200 ton master it looks like youdont need the RFNPW.

So for youre case, get your BST 5 day course that cover your basic STCW. Then take the A/B course. After that your lifeboatman.
Then your RFNPW assesments, but remember that not until you have the 90 days aboard a vessel of at least 200 GT youre RFNPW will not be complete.[/QUOTE]

I hold a 100 ton Near Coastal Master’s License and AB Unlimited (I upgraded from Special to Unlimited when I had RFPNW added) and no seatime above 99 GRT. All that the NMC required of me was STCW BST and the assessments in a simulator. I did mine at Mid-Atlantic in Virginia Beach, VA. It only took about an hour and cost $300. I submitted them to the NMC and was issued RFPNW without restriction. It came in the mail yesterday.

I have taken the BST classes along with the STCW classes and I have my AB Special endorsement…maybe I should go to take that class…

Hey everyone, new updates,

I first want to thank everyone who has contributed to this topic and my question, you have no idea how valuable it is to me! I realize the probable headaches received from repeatedly answering similar questions by guys like me, but you are helping newcomers like myself achieve their dreams and for this I can’t thank you enough. There is no substitute for real experience and I truly appreciate the patience and wisdom you all have shared. Thank you.

I think I have it figured out. After re-reviewing documents and talking to a MPT USA rep in person yesterday, I have gained a lot of knowledge. My answer is too get RFPNW assessed and get my AB (OSV) w/STCW. I will also look into the Safe Gulf courses soon. This RFPNW and STCW stuff has made me cross eyed but apparently MPT’s course does FULLY count if applied to AB OSV. (They even have an AB/RFPNW OSV comprehensive program with all the necessary courses to get me working as an AB!) This would exempt me from being put in “only lookout duties” or a similar state of partial-completion. Hopefully I can get onto a larger company with bigger boats and upgrade to AB Limited or Unlimited by completing the seatime training required for RFPNW on the job, in the future. But as far as getting onto a boat and getting my foot in the door, and working as an AB on that boat: this seems like the answer!

Let the paperwork begin! Haha