A Call to Action

Wow, what to enter an adult conversation… “did enrolled for being a fruitcake” from a person with a handle of NYBEAR…

There an a lot more “morons” out there that would support shutting down that school…
It’s been having serious issues for the past several years that haven’t been resolved… It’s mis-managed and waiting money that could be utilized it other areas of the federal budget. $86 million could do wonders for short sea shipping.

I’m a taxpayer and I want a return on my investment. I don’t want some 22 year old kid with an attitude problem.

NYBEAR - I’m sorry that we all support shutting down your beloved KP… Maybe should have given a crap years ago when it was starting to go down the crapper

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=c.captain;64172]Yawn…can someone tell me what Mr. OnePost said? All I was able to make out was some tiny squeak.[/QUOTE]

Mister OnePost is in hiding, doesn’t mention one item about himself in his profile, what’s the matter, buster, cat got your tongue? What are you afraid of, buster?

[QUOTE=c.captain;64170]I am truly sorry for you that a part of your youth that you once held in esteem and with resepct has become such a ridiculous sham and farce. To me the place has always represented an idea which was perhaps of great value in WWII but which has steadily become more and more irrelevant and unsupportable with the passage of the decades. KP’s day has passed and it is in all reality now dead but the body remains on life support even though it can never ever become vibrant or alive again. It exists only on a ventilator supplied by the Congress. It’s time to “pull the plug” on the mortibund vegetable that is the USMMA but not one member in Congress has the needed courage. The old lady must be allowed to just die. For God’s sake, can’t some ranking member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee have courage and faith and JUST DO IT!.[/QUOTE]

Had I only known back in the summer of 1960 (the end of my full sea year) I would have taken the C/E’s advise, sat for my Oiler and WFT papers and returned to the SS Examiner instead of thinking quitting was not an option. Mistakes were made, but hey !!

“Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,Just what you want to be, you will be in the end.”
~ Moody Blues

It is another topic, but related. I have had several cadets from various academies over the years. Two of them have arrived with a fresh 3M and then wonder why they have to suffer the ignominy of ‘decking’ for a couple years until they get enough experience to actually stand their own watch.

I asked these two if they communicate back through either alumni organizations or the actual school hiring department to explain what they ‘actually’ needed to be capable upon graduation. Neither of them thought it was worth their time, since NONE of the administration ever expressed a desire, thought or view that the graduates were deficient in ANY way, and were fully capable upon diploma for entry into ANY deck position. (Especially on a lowly tug)

How sad, that the hierarchy at these schools still feels that they are doing a ‘good job’ at what they are producing. The upper management at all the schools keeps holding to the tradition that ‘deep sea’ is preferable, and in fact is more appealing to their target student audience.

How sad. These guys apparently haven’t been paying attention to the actual jobs their graduates have been taking, and how many ‘deep sea’ jobs are available each year for the 500 or so graduates they keep pumping out each year. Just keep the blinders on boys. The only way this would work was if there were 500 retirees each year to make slots available. Gee. Do the math here guys. Where are you going to be hired? Not everyone gets one of those 3rd spots on a ship. How many guys have to go work at one of the little ferries running around Manhattan? Now THAT’s worth your time (and MY tax dollars) NOT!

Oh yeah, keep telling yourself that KP is the ONLY school that has the ‘graduate to military commission’ option too. More self fluffing and grandiose back slapping and self promotion. There just AREN’T the jobs to support this.

[QUOTE=NYBEAR;64171]Boy oh boy. C.Captain and grease monkey are really two of the weirdest, sickest freaks I have ever encountered. Get a life you bottom feeders.

You morons sound worse than broken records. What could have caused this malfunction in your brain system? Were you dis enrolled from KP for being a fruit cake ?[/QUOTE]

Say, NYBEAR, I have several friends over for the week-end, one is a graduate of West Point, you may have heard of The US Military Academy, he commented as to whether NYBEAR is an example of the proud product of what is now a failed institution. So, Bear (interesting name!), I am starting a poll, are your remarks a reflection of the rot in Kinks Point. Please vote.

You know that all those who used to attempt to defend keeping KP open and operating do not even try here any more. Instead we get NYBEAR making an asinine post without making a single point to defend the failure that is the 2012 USMMA.

To me, refusal to enter into debate is tantamount to conceeding to your opponents assertions. Nobody will enter the fray because they know inside that they would not prevail. Why indeed fight a losing battle?

[QUOTE=c.captain;64254]You know that all those who used to attempt to defend keeping KP open and operating do not even try here any more. Instead we get NYBEAR making an asinine post without making a single point to defend the failure that is the 2012 USMMA.[/QUOTE]

NYBEAR did mention the possibility I got tossed out of KP because I’m a “fruitcake,” and with a user name like his, doubtful he’ll find the irony funny, and the truth hard to swallow, oh, what a poor choice of word! ~~~ :smiley: ~~~

He said that YOU ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST A-HOLES THAT HAS EVERY TROLLED THE INTERNET!!!

[QUOTE=c.captain;64254]You know that all those who used to attempt to defend keeping KP open and operating do not even try here any more. Instead we get NYBEAR making an asinine post without making a single point to defend the failure that is the 2012 USMMA.

To me, refusal to enter into debate is tantamount to conceeding to your opponents assertions. Nobody will enter the fray because that know inside that they would prevail. Why indeed fight a losing battle? [/QUOTE]

You are right, c.captain. We really do not know if NYBEAR is a graduate of Kings Point or not. I assume he/she is. Doubtful NYBEAR took the time to investigate our profiles. Also doubtful if NYBEAR will respond. Perhaps he/she will now peek-a-boo at our comments and if so, tell us, NYBEAR, how do you justify KP when there is no longer a US Merchant Marine. Comment about THAT, Buster fruitcake. I am not sorry for this, my post, I am sorry for what has happened to MY ACADEMY, buster, and I also realize it is not your fault. Close the GOD DAM PLACE.

Edit to post, The GOD DAM PLACE is not the US Merchant Marine Academy from my years. Kings Point, my Kings Point, is dead. You bet I’m angry.

Interesting post. Grammatically correct, good spelling and full of substance. Without critique of the post, it was brought to my attention by a recent alum that it is required to join this blog, to get a handle on the actual industry. So it does seem that these one or two posts ARE by students who know only what they have been told by the same professors who are aiding and abetting the nail in the coffin OF the academies.

This is becoming increasingly the ‘Occupy’ movement of the US Merchant Marine.

The graduates are clamoring for ‘their’ jobs that ‘they deserve’. All the while each year about 500 more graduates are being pumped out for jobs that don’t exist, or are already filled. Most of the jobs that are out there they aren’t (yet) capable of filling, but damned if they aren’t vocal about how they are, because of some antiquated, misguided mantra that has been planted in their head while at these schools. To top it off the schools are doing their level best to ensure increased funding and trying to attract more students to fill the seats they have showing the ‘need’ for more funding.

This is really a good example of an industry that has been SO insulated from reality for so long, it doesn’t even see the truth anymore!

Interesting post. Grammatically correct, good spelling and full of substance. Without critique of the post, it was brought to my attention by a recent alum that it is required to join this blog, to get a handle on the actual industry. So it does seem that these one or two posts ARE by students who know only what they have been told by the same professors who are aiding and abetting the nail in the coffin OF the academies.

If this forum is being read now by the majority of the poor pathetic lot that is the USMMA Corps of Keedets let me just say how sorry I am. Your school’s nothing more than a sad pathetic joke run by fools like Kumar, Wallischek, Mund, Force et all. God help each and every one of your lost souls.

He said that YOU ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST A-HOLES THAT HAS EVERY TROLLED THE INTERNET!!!

//youtu.be/X5QGr6ZzX6c

You talkiin to me!

[QUOTE=bluewater;64278]He said that YOU ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST A-HOLES THAT HAS EVERY TROLLED THE INTERNET!!![/QUOTE]

bluewater, a question, did you checked-out my profile before you posted those words? Take a look, you are dealing with experienced Merchant Seaman on this forum. If you do not have anything better to post than those words I post you are, if you are indeed a KP cadet or graduate, a good example to shut down KP. No one likes bomb tossers in the bushes, if you have any guts tell us something about yourself in your profile. Perhaps then we can have an adult chat.

[QUOTE=c.captain;64285]If this forum is being read now by the majority of the poor pathetic lot that is the USMMA Corps of Keedets let me just say how sorry I am. Your school’s nothing more than a sad pathetic joke run by fools like Kumar, Wallischek, Mund, Force et all. God help each and every one of your lost souls.[/QUOTE]

Do not blame the Cadets, Captain, it’s not their fault. When I entered KP on a hot August Sunday in 1958 it was indeed the US Merchant Marine Academy, Many of our teachers were experienced Merchant Seaman from World War Two, they were honorable men and instilled a grit in us. I still have some of that grit. What we have in KP today is not even a shadow of those days, perhaps the fact that there is no longer a US Merchant Marine comes into play, 95% of cargo entering and leaving US Ports is carried in foreign flag bottoms therefore how can the United States have a US Merchant Marine Academy without a Merchant Marine? It’s like having a West Point without an Army. KP is no longer needed, please let it it end in some modicum of honor. END IT !! Well we know why it’s taking so long, those in power at the Academy want to keep their jobs, they are not worth it.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;64288]Well we know why it’s taking so long, those in power at the Academy want to keep their jobs, they are not worth it.[/QUOTE]

Can we get an Amen to that!

[QUOTE=cappy208;64289]Can we get an Amen to that![/QUOTE]

Yes we can Cappy but they will go kicking and screaming.

Hahahaha!! You are correct!!! Poor choice of word, specially in This forum!!!

While I may be lambasted by c. captain, I will post anyway. While there are those that do not want to see Kings Point continue, I suggest that is way to harsh. The mission of the Academy does not stop at graduating licensed mates and engineers. Rather, the mission includes having the USA ready to support overseas troops in war times. In spite of a diminishing of US flagged ships, the Academy graduates and graduates from the maritime schools do find jobs and do support the US maritime industry. In addition, the Academy and the maritime colleges produce leaders in the industry. Some of the most hateful discussion on this thread smacks of folks to the tune of coulda, shoulda, woulda!
While I respect all who have far more knowledge of the industry than I do and all the various means of acquiring that knowledge, to remain competitive, knowledgeable, and ready for what the global maritime world can throw at us, Kings Point and all the maritime schools remain valid. The US should stay abreast of the latest technology and like it or not, those who come from Kings Point still maintain a significant respect among the industry, particularly at the highest levels. That is NOT to say that individuals don’t still need to earn respect, however, a person who has graduated with an engineering degree or B.S. degree from Kings Point and earning that respect does seem to result in some pretty extraordinary individuals and business leaders in the maritime industry. While I know it is may not always be the case, on the surface the detractors seem a wee bit jealous of the accomplishments that seem to be easier for a Kings Point grad compared to other means for advancing within the industry. The USA needs these high achievers and the institution to stay in the game, be prepared for the future and changes that come with it and relative to other government expenditures, Kings Point is a bargain for accomplishing just that! While the recent dismay of the current regiment and honor board may be disheartening to outsiders and the regiment, there is something to be said for tradition at the school, in the industry, in corporations and IMHO, the industry and Kings Point will prevail.

[QUOTE=cuttle fish;64610]While I may be lambasted by c. captain, I will post anyway. While there are those that do not want to see Kings Point continue, I suggest that is way to harsh. The mission of the Academy does not stop at graduating licensed mates and engineers. Rather, the mission includes having the USA ready to support overseas troops in war times. In spite of a diminishing of US flagged ships, the Academy graduates and graduates from the maritime schools do find jobs and do support the US maritime industry. In addition, the Academy and the maritime colleges produce leaders in the industry. Some of the most hateful discussion on this thread smacks of folks to the tune of coulda, shoulda, woulda!
While I respect all who have far more knowledge of the industry than I do and all the various means of acquiring that knowledge, to remain competitive, knowledgeable, and ready for what the global maritime world can throw at us, Kings Point and all the maritime schools remain valid. The US should stay abreast of the latest technology and like it or not, those who come from Kings Point still maintain a significant respect among the industry, particularly at the highest levels. That is NOT to say that individuals don’t still need to earn respect, however, a person who has graduated with an engineering degree or B.S. degree from Kings Point and earning that respect does seem to result in some pretty extraordinary individuals and business leaders in the maritime industry. While I know it is may not always be the case, on the surface the detractors seem a wee bit jealous of the accomplishments that seem to be easier for a Kings Point grad compared to other means for advancing within the industry. The USA needs these high achievers and the institution to stay in the game, be prepared for the future and changes that come with it and relative to other government expenditures, Kings Point is a bargain for accomplishing just that! While the recent dismay of the current regiment and honor board may be disheartening to outsiders and the regiment, there is something to be said for tradition at the school, in the industry, in corporations and IMHO, the industry and Kings Point will prevail.[/QUOTE]

cuttle fish, being “lambasted” is part of life, only those without any opinions at all may be free from criticism, I say “may” because I’m sure some folks would criticize those who have no opinions for simply not having any. You have ever right to post your thoughts regarding Kings Point or any other subject. This is a free forum where all may have their say. That’s why I’m here, if I was told I have no right to post my words I’d leave in a New York second. I, as a graduate of Kings Point, certainly respect your words. What I will now post sounds mean, it isn’t, if Kings Point is to survive it may have to relocate to China or change it’s name. I’m getting heat because I posted that the US Merchant Marine Academy should open its doors to both Unlicense and License Merchant Seamen, do away with the regimental system, this is the Merchant Marine, not the Navy. “How dare you,” I was told, not on this forum but by KPers who have my email address. Well, Sir, I do dare, and those who really know me understand. Interesting, those who take issue with me never served in the military, I did, and hardly sailed at all, some never sailed. I made the US Merchant Marine my life’s work. So, I’ll leave with this, put THAT in your pipe and smoke it.
~~~~ :smiley: ~~~~