A.B. Unlimited question

I am in the process of getting my A.B. Unlimited and have taken A.B. and Life BoatsMan. I thought that was it. I am now finding out I need one more class. Some thing to do with security and deck watch. I dont know the exact name of it. I have had my hundred ton captain for 14 years. Does anyone know what it is I need or am I done?
Thank you

I think you are talking about VPDSD. Vessel personnel with designated security duties. Search for it and you should get all the answers you are looking for about it.

VPDSD= A total waste of my time and money.

Did I need the one-day VPDSD computer programmed training? Actually, I didn’t, but no one told me. If I had gotten a letter from a Master detailing my extensive gangway and security experience and training before I left MSC that would have sufficed at NMC for the endorsement.

Instead, when I went to register at the union hall, a 4 hour drive from my home, I was sent away until I could return with the new page in my MMD proclaiming I was now a VPDSD.

PS: Shipmate, you didn’t mention RFPNW in the OP. I’m guessing you did the Lookout version in your AB training. If you haven’t already gotten the assessment sheets signed off by the 2nd Mate on your vessel, and want to be taken seriously and have the dough, strongly suggest you find a maritime school with a simulator and do them. It’s a one day affair and that way your MMD will say “RFPNW” instead of “RFPNW-Lookout Duties Only”. Just sayin’.

I think it is RFPNW… You can take a two day course or have a 500 ton master of OSV or something like that sign you off…

Just found out you can get your A.B. Unlimited with just the A.B. and Lifeboatman course and the required days at sea. The RFPNW is just if youre going to do navigational watch on a 200 gross ton or more.

Yea but why else would you get an AB-Unlimited then?

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;147632]Just found out you can get your A.B. Unlimited with just the A.B. and Lifeboatman course and the required days at sea. The RFPNW is just if youre going to do navigational watch on a 200 gross ton or more.[/QUOTE]

There are two parts to the USCG MMD: Domestic, and STCW. The MMD is only good for vessels under 200 tons in US waters, or inland work, unless you have STCW. In other words,your AB “Unlimited” will in fact be extremely limited. To get STCW, you need BST (now called BT) and VPDSD, and RFPNW. BT is a five day class. VPDSD is one day. You can get a limited version of RFPNW in two days. Even if the USCG does not require some of these things for a particular inland or under 200 ton job, many companies still do require them anyway. Your employment options will be very limited without these endorsements.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;147634]There are two parts to the USCG MMD: Domestic, and STCW. The MMD is only good for vessels under 200 tons in US waters, or inland work, unless you have STCW. In other words,your AB “Unlimited” will in fact be extremely limited. To get STCW, you need BST (now called BT) and VPDSD, and RFPNW. BT is a five day class. VPDSD is one day. You can get a limited version of RFPNW in two days. Even if the USCG does not require some of these things for a particular inland or under 200 ton job, many companies still do require them anyway. Your employment options will be very limited without these endorsements.[/QUOTE]

I have my STCW 95. Does that mean I can skip the RFPNW? Also can’t I get it signed off?

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;147639]I have my STCW 95. Does that mean I can skip the RFPNW? Also can’t I get it signed off?[/QUOTE]

No. A lot of people call BT, formerly BST," STCW 95". That is just one part of STCW. The VPDSD security course has a corresponding STCW endorsement. You’ll still need RFPNW. You can get it signed off while you are sailing as on OS on a vessel above a certain size. You can get a piece of RFPNW with a two day course — which will allow you to sail as an AB limited to look out duties only, until you get signed off and obtain enough seatime.

I really appreciate your help. I am a fulltime captain and have been working fulltime for 14 years. I have thousands of days of seatime on a 99 ton.o is get a job with Chuest or the like as A.B. They pay more for A.B. then a 100 ton captain where I work now and they train within. You suggest I should still get RFNPW FOR Chuest or Harvey? I really want a company that will pay for my school.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;147646]I really appreciate your help. I am a fulltime captain and have been working fulltime for 14 years. I have thousands of days of seatime on a 99 ton.o is get a job with Chuest or the like as A.B. They pay more for A.B. then a 100 ton captain where I work now and they train within. You suggest I should still get RFNPW FOR Chuest or Harvey? I really want a company that will pay for my school.[/QUOTE]

I do not know anything about hiring ABs at those companies. Sometimes I get involved in hiring for tugs elsewhere. Typically, I go through the resumes in the office and conduct telephone interviews. Sometimes the HR girls will send two or three resumes to the boat and ask “which one of these guys would you prefer.” Most of the time they just send a warm body with the right documents. Personally, I Am not surprised to see an AB Special without RFPNW, but I would find an AB Unlimited without RFPNW to be very odd. I would be suspicious about his experience and ability.

I do not understand why an AB would not be eager to take a two day course to obtain RFPNW (Lookout Duties). An AB cannot sail as an AB on a vessel over 200 tons outside of “inland waters” without RFPNW.

I suggest that you seek employment with companies that operate boats under 100 tons as well as boats over 200 tons. They will probably put you wherever they need you. Try to get in enough time on larger vessels to get the full RFPNW. However, get all the hands on boat handling experience that you can on crewboats and mini supply boats. A day of actually running a boat is worth a month as an AB cleaning toilets and painting.

Thank you… I will sign up for the two day RFPNW…

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;147651]Thank you… I will sign up for the two day RFPNW…[/QUOTE]

Chouest has an in-house school that offers classes to employees for free. I just got hired on by them and I know they are looking for a few more people

I may be mistaken but if I’m correct an OS can get his Tankerman and AB special, work on tugs and barges and work gain his AB unlimited but still never get his RFPNW (you can’t get your RFPNW off a barge)because he may not be logging actual sea time on the tugboat. This is a easy fix but does occasionally happen because of lack of foresight from the AB and the personnel managers working on behalf of the employees.