RFPNW Vs. Captain License

Quick question for you guys. Times are tough right (laid off as captain) now so I am looking for A.B. unlimited work even though I have 100 ton captains with radar, radio, A.B. Unlimited… license for 15 years. Have been working as captain full time since my first issue. Now the employers are demanding that I have RFPNW for an A.B. position. The RFPNW class is some rules of the road and ship handling procedures. My question is why in the heck do I need it if I hold a captains license??

Do you have OICNW?

no I do not

Since you already hold a license, I think if you did that two day simulator you could get the full rfpnw.
good question for mr cavo.

[QUOTE=Ctony;155670]Since you already hold a license, I think if you did that two day simulator you could get the full rfpnw.
good question for mr cavo.[/QUOTE]

Didn’t know there is a full RFPNW. Are there different ratings within? If you’re out there Mr. Cavo, got any answers?

Don’t take what I say as gospel, but I thought someone in your case, already holding a license, can do the two day lookout duties only class and you could get rfpnw.
Someone without a license can get rfpnw lookout duties without assessments, I think.

[QUOTE=Ctony;155677]Don’t take what I say as gospel, but I thought someone in your case, already holding a license, can do the two day lookout duties only class and you could get rfpnw.
Someone without a license can get rfpnw lookout duties without assessments, I think.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the course I looked up at TRL San Diego is a two day course. So it sounds like if I did not have my ticket I would need more classes or assessments to get the full RFPNW…?

ok I guess there are 28 assessments total ( 1-1A thru 3-6B ) So the two day course covers all assessments. Still don’t know why I need it. Maybe for international sailing? That must be it… to be able to stand watch in international waters…?

If you have ever worked under a captain with a 500 ton master or better, you can have him sign off on it in about a hour. Otherwise the only other way I know of is a day in simulator class. I’d recommend upgrading to a 500 ton if I were you.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;155681]If you have ever worked under a captain with a 500 ton master or better, you can have him sign off on it in about a hour. Otherwise the only other way I know of is a day in simulator class. I’d recommend upgrading to a 500 ton if I were you.[/QUOTE]

I have worked with a 500 ton captain. What exactly does he sign? Is there a form or a certain verbiage required… days at sea, tonnage and name of vessel…etc… And I will be getting 500 ton… just need Advanced Firefighting but need a job first so I can pay for it.$$$$$$$$$$$

The assessment is NVIC 06-14 google it, the 500 t master has to fill it out. The 500Ton master you know has to have had worked on a vessel 200 tons or over for at least 1 year to be a credible assessor as well.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;155671]Didn’t know there is a full RFPNW. Are there different ratings within? If you’re out there Mr. Cavo, got any answers?[/QUOTE]

There is a rating of RFPNW that is limited to lookout duties only. It is good for one year and it can’t be renewed. It won’t be issued after March 24, 2015. After that date, there will only be the full or non-restricted RFPNW endorsement.

[QUOTE=Ctony;155670]Don’t take what I say as gospel, but I thought someone in your case, already holding a license, can do the two day lookout duties only class and you could get rfpnw.
Someone without a license can get rfpnw lookout duties without assessments, I think.[/QUOTE]

Holding a license is irrelevant. You need the 6 months of sea time and have to do all the assessments. The 2-day course probably won’t be enough. The 2 days courses are generally to get RFPNW restricted to lookout only. There are usually no assessments in these courses.

To get RFPNW, you also need Basic Safety Training.

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;155682]I have worked with a 500 ton captain. What exactly does he sign? Is there a form or a certain verbiage required… days at sea, tonnage and name of vessel…etc… And I will be getting 500 ton… just need Advanced Firefighting but need a job first so I can pay for it.$$$$$$$$$$$[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;155681]If you have ever worked under a captain with a 500 ton master or better, you can have him sign off on it in about a hour. Otherwise the only other way I know of is a day in simulator class. I’d recommend upgrading to a 500 ton if I were you.[/QUOTE]

Not if you have EVER worked…, you have to be working with one NOW. The person signing has to witness you doing them now. They can’t sign based on serving with you in the past. By signing they are certifying that they saw you do the exact act described on the exact date specified. Saying you worked with someone in the past and they can do this stuff isn’t acceptable.

Sharkbite,

The basic reason for you having RFPNW is so you are trained in standard orders to the helm, standard replies, and propper lookout reporting when working as an AB on watch on a larger vessel. The Master or Mate on watch knows what you are doing and reporting and does not have to figure out some mumbo jumbo slang.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;155717]There is a rating of RFPNW that is limited to lookout duties only. It is good for one year and it can’t be renewed. It won’t be issued after March 24, 2015. After that date, there will only be the full or non-restricted RFPNW endorsement.

Holding a license is irrelevant. You need the 6 months of sea time and have to do all the assessments. The 2-day course probably won’t be enough. The 2 days courses are generally to get RFPNW restricted to lookout only. There are usually no assessments in these courses.

To get RFPNW, you also need Basic Safety Training.

Not if you have EVER worked…, you have to be working with one NOW. The person signing has to witness you doing them now. They can’t sign based on serving with you in the past. By signing they are certifying that they saw you do the exact act described on the exact date specified. Saying you worked with someone in the past and they can do this stuff isn’t acceptable.[/QUOTE]
The RFPNW class offered by TRL in San Diego is full with no restrictions. That being said, once I get the certificate from them is it not excepted(active) by the CG until l actually go on a vessel(200 ton) with a 500 ton captain and complete the steps from the checklist?

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;155746]The RFPNW class offered by TRL in San Diego is full with no restrictions. That being said, once I get the certificate from them is it not excepted(active) by the CG until l actually go on a vessel(200 ton) with a 500 ton captain and complete the steps from the checklist?[/QUOTE]

I went thru this exact same scenario. Once you get that cert from TRL, submit it to the CG and you will be done. Nothing more to be done onboard. They put you on a simulator and run you through all of the assessments. Pretty basic. Hope this helps

[QUOTE=NineIronSpitfire;155785]I went thru this exact same scenario. Once you get that cert from TRL, submit it to the CG and you will be done. Nothing more to be done onboard. They put you on a simulator and run you through all of the assessments. Pretty basic. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Helps out a lot…thanks I can finally put it to rest

Get to work fat boy!!!

[QUOTE=Sharkbite;155657]Quick question for you guys. Times are tough right (laid off as captain) now so I am looking for A.B. unlimited work even though I have 100 ton captains with radar, radio, A.B. Unlimited… license for 15 years. Have been working as captain full time since my first issue. Now the employers are demanding that I have RFPNW for an A.B. position. The RFPNW class is some rules of the road and ship handling procedures. My question is why in the heck do I need it if I hold a captains license??[/QUOTE]

100-ton…Louisiana…I suggest a river barge operation, or the smaller, local companies. Jambon might be a good place to check out. Ask for Josh.