3rd exam

An anyone confirm for me if sunrise/sunset calculations are on the terrestrial test?

I don’t rightly remember about sunrise/sunset but I do recall that, much to my surprise, there were azimuths and amplitudes on my terrestrial exam. If that be the case, then I suppose it stands to reason that there could be sunrise and sunsets as well.

Sunrise and sunsets are not. Amplitudes and Azimuths are though.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;133502]Sunrise and sunsets are not. Amplitudes and Azimuths are though.[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense for a terrestrial exam, does it?

I recall a reasoning Mr Cavo posted I believe. Since a N/C ticket allows one to sail 200nm from land (and past most terrestrial position finding methods) azimuth/amplitude are warranted in the N/C toolbag.

Or something to that effect…

I think a lot of what they do doesn’t make sense. But I suppose it’s on the Near Coastal test because even near coastal you should do compass corrections, at least in the 1800s anyway. People only see them as the “Terrestrial exam” vs the “Celestial exam” but really there’s some overlap.

A reason given was that a near coastal is good for 200’ off…how else you gonna check your compass 199 miles offshore? Theoretically, of course. Never got it myself though.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;133499]An anyone confirm for me if sunrise/sunset calculations are on the terrestrial test?[/QUOTE]

They aren’t on the near coastal exam, but compass error by azimuths and amplitudes are.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;133510]I recall a reasoning Mr Cavo posted I believe. Since a N/C ticket allows one to sail 200nm from land (and past most terrestrial position finding methods) azimuth/amplitude are warranted in the N/C toolbag.

Or something to that effect…[/QUOTE]

that is correct

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;133503]Doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense for a terrestrial exam, does it?[/QUOTE]

Near coastal is good out to 200 miles where terrestrial means of determining compass error are not possible.

So if I’m reading my modules correctly the only real difference in the terrestrial from 1600 master to 3rd is the addition of tide/currents but no ETA, sunrise/sunset, or fuel consumption?

Not a huge deal but it does save time brushing up on rusty material.

What is the difference between the 1600 mate n/c and the 3rd exam?

Nothing. You don’t even have to test from 1600 mate to third mate. The issue is from 1600 MASTER to third mate.