1600 Ton master nc

Took the test this week passed the first five then failed t Nav
Was going to retake week after next now the furlough got an 80 on t Nav so I missed it by one study time once again any suggestions on t Nav

I’m in the process of studyin for the 1600 ocean, I took my celestial course from Downeast Maritime and and snagged his advanced-Nav text. I’ve been primarily working on Amplitudes, Azimuths, Bow and Beam Bearings (on a man. board)Compass error & leeway, Deviation table, ETA’s, Fuel/Slip, RDF Plots, Tide & Currents, Time Tick, and time of Sunrise/Sunset.

Do you remember the kinds of questions you had the first time around?

I was using the 46CFR10.910 table (46CFR11.910 in the current CFR’s) as a reference on what would be on the test…BUT it doesn’t look like it’s been updated to reflect what we actually get tested on (according to the table, we should only be tested on Amps and Azimuths (sun only) for the ocean test, but it seems like they’ve been showing up on T-Nav as well (for any body)…so i don’t know for sure.

I hope this didn’t just confuse the matter…

Had a az, amp distance off, fuel, slip compass error by range,compass error, ETA, and a time tick and Sunrise Sunset

[QUOTE=DSV Captain;48553]Had a az, amp distance off, fuel, slip compass error by range,compass error, ETA, and a time tick and Sunrise Sunset[/QUOTE]

What he said

Don’t be too discouraged man, I missed T-nav by one question as well. Made a 100 on the second try…(I did each question 3 times.) Just got my 500 Oceans.

What worked for me was continually working out one problem after the next. Azimuths and amplitudes seem to be detailed enough in the reference material if you get stuck. I worked and re-worked compass deviation cards, distance off, and sunsets. For some reason I thought amplitudes were easy compared to sunsets. Don’t ask why…Some formulas that helped me are as follows:

Amplitudes: (Sin Declination/Cos Latitude) sin-1…(inverse sine) Then proceed with the bowditch table correction and finally the 90/270 rule. Again, the 90/270 rule for adding/subtracting is in Bowditch if you get stuck.

Fuel: New Distance: (Never Can) (One Shoot)^2 (Old Dogs) /
(Or Cats) (Nuff Said)^2

(New Consumption)(Old Speed)^2(Old Distance) /            (^2 means squared)
                                (Old Consumption) (New Speed)^2

New Consumption: (Never Shoot)^3 (Old Cats) /
(Or Sailors)^3

(New Speed)^3(Old Consumption) /                                    (^3 means cubed)
                                (Old Speed)^3

Time tick: Take second comparing watch reading, subtract beginning comparing watch reading. (Comparing 2- Comparing 1.) That gives you time elapsed. Subtract time elapsed from Chronometer reading. Resultant gives you actual chronometer time. Finally, subtract chronometer time from time tick time. This gives you the error. Fast or slow.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Swampfox;48557]Don’t be too discouraged man, I missed T-nav by one question as well. Made a 100 on the second try…(I did each question 3 times.) Just got my 500 Oceans.

What worked for me was continually working out one problem after the next. Azimuths and amplitudes seem to be detailed enough in the reference material if you get stuck. I worked and re-worked compass deviation cards, distance off, and sunsets. For some reason I thought amplitudes were easy compared to sunsets. Don’t ask why…Some formulas that helped me are as follows:

Amplitudes: (Sin Declination/Cos Latitude) sin-1…(inverse sine) Then proceed with the bowditch table correction and finally the 90/270 rule. Again, the 90/270 rule for adding/subtracting is in Bowditch if you get stuck.

Fuel: New Distance: (Never Can) (One Shoot)^2 (Old Dogs) /
(Or Cats) (Nuff Said)^2

(New Consumption)(Old Speed)^2(Old Distance) /            (^2 means squared)
                                (Old Consumption) (New Speed)^2

New Consumption: (Never Shoot)^3 (Old Cats) /
(Or Sailors)^3

(New Speed)^3(Old Consumption) /                                    (^3 means cubed)
                                (Old Speed)^3

Time tick: Take second comparing watch reading, subtract beginning comparing watch reading. (Comparing 2- Comparing 1.) That gives you time elapsed. Subtract time elapsed from Chronometer reading. Resultant gives you actual chronometer time. Finally, subtract chronometer time from time tick time. This gives you the error. Fast or slow.

Hope that helps. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Hey Swampfox I was in class with you at QMT

Retook T Nav Yesterday and Passed, Feels great,NMC already has my scores may have license in hand by the end of the week

Congratulations Greenhorn

Congratulations!

Has to be nice to have it behind you.