3m/2m AGT Oceans exams

I am studying for my original license and was just wondering if anyone out there had any words of advice for preparing for the exams.

Lapware. Drill and drill and drill questions. I started studying a month before and did fine.

I’ve been using Lapware. Looks like I made a good choice. Thanks for the reply.

Get nasty with lapware. Write every question you got wrong down on a sheet according to the section; then right before you test that section review those questions. Also review all the diagrams in rules.

I am just a little overwhelmed with the amount of formulas that are used in DeckGen, not to mention stability and trim. I have basically duplicated the CG exam room with all the pubs including Bowditch Vol. ll. Every instructor throughout my OICNW classes all referred to Bowditch…but NEVER pulled it out. Why?? There is a ridiculous amount of info in that pub. I also have Formulae for the Mariner…once again, sooooo many formulas! Do I need to memorize all of the formulae? I am just trying to wrap my head around the big picture and not get lost in the mix.

That’s the bad part about the deck module…you could end up with virtually no stability problems at all, but I know people that have had substantial amounts. I only had 2 but a friend says he had like 18. Computer generates the test and deck safety covers so much information…

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;64921]I am just a little overwhelmed with the amount of formulas that are used in DeckGen, not to mention stability and trim. I have basically duplicated the CG exam room with all the pubs including Bowditch Vol. ll. Every instructor throughout my OICNW classes all referred to Bowditch…but NEVER pulled it out. Why?? There is a ridiculous amount of info in that pub. I also have Formulae for the Mariner…once again, sooooo many formulas! Do I need to memorize all of the formulae? I am just trying to wrap my head around the big picture and not get lost in the mix.[/QUOTE]

You probably know this already but… most DeckGen answers are in Bowditch. Celestial and Terrestrial formulas are in there to so no need to memorize them.

Bowditch seems to provide a lot of strait up trig solutions. The more I use Bowditch the more I find.

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;64927]You probably know this already but… most DeckGen answers are in Bowditch. Celestial and Terrestrial formulas are in there to so no need to memorize them.[/QUOTE]

I did took my Mate test last 2010 in Mandeville. I know Nav, Gen is open book but I don’t remember if it’s open book also for DeckGen if thats
what you mean? A little dumb question but is it open book test for DeckGen? Im lucky to passed it w/o looking Bowditch inside the test room
the last time but it will be a great help if its open book this time for my master.

Rules of the Road is the only test that you are not allowed to use any reference material. There is a list of what is allowed in the exam room in the CFR’S…or somewhere on the USCG website. I printed it out already and can’t recall where I found it. Anyway, Bowditch Vol ll, all of the CFR’S, and several Pubs will be in the exam room for your use. It seems as though if you know where to look…you can find answers all over the place within the pubs. I posted the other day in the hopes that someone could drop some knowledge on game plan and approach to the exams. I am just a Deck Ape trying to get into the wheelhouse. I didn’t have the capital to go through a test prep class. Just trying to give it a go the best way I know how. This forum is pretty awesome, however, my posts aren’t catching much response traffic. Most of the mates and captains I have come across on the water were unwilling to help out an AB aspiring to become an officer. I am not part of the club yet, so not much attention is paid. I’ll be sure to break that cycle when I get my license.

Consider going to LE Fletcher in Houma. Out of state tuition is right at 1000 which is considerably less than most classes. Its more of a study at your own pace type of thing with Capt. Bruce there to keep you on track. Tuition is good for a year so some guys come between hitches to continue working while others take time off and work straight through.

If you have a strong algebra and trigonometry background you can figure most of it out on your own using Bowditch and the nautical almanac, but if you’ve never used consigns, tangents, secants and so forth having someone walk you through the formulas will help a lot. Capt Bruce breaks it down where you don’t even realize trig is what you are doing, more of a plug and play approach.

Remember, once you start your first test the clock starts on your testing cycle. Be as ready as you can.

When I took the third mates test in the battery I was allowed to use the cfrs. If you look up cfr 33 subchapter e part 83 it gives a break down of all the rules of the road. Might help out if you need help on one question to help you pass.

Yo rubberrhip If you have any questions regarding the exam send me a PM

Don’t overly fixate on the formulas. There are a few that are key, but largely I would say do the practice tests, use the formulas, review the important looking ones before the exam and hope you remember. You would be surprised what you remember in the exam room that you cannot quote word for word outside. If all else fails, make an educated guess at the answer and hope. If you have to retake it, big deal.

[QUOTE=MIKEZ76SP;65056]Yo rubberrhip If you have any questions regarding the exam send me a PM[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;64886]I am studying for my original license and was just wondering if anyone out there had any words of advice for preparing for the exams.[/QUOTE]

If your asking how I prepared for my exams, what I did is went to one of Hotel close to USCG mandeville one day before the exam so I will not drive a long way then reviewed Terrestrial,Plotting and rules that day till midnight w/c is Sunday. Then when I passed that Modules that Monday afternoon till Midnight, I reviewed Navgen and Deckgen. My original plan is to take a short break in the parking lot and review the next module after each exam, but even though how hard I tried to review there’s nothing that I remember. So, I went inside and relax, clear my mind and inhale/exhale as soon as I did that and saw the test everything that I reviewed that night came back… Do not tense yourself the moment your taking your test you will loose all your confidence…do not panic. Just answer all the question that you are sure and count it if you will pass, then make a wise guess on the ones you doesn’t know. Check it twice/thrice! also, in able to pass Terrestrial you should know the ff:

1. Course/Terrestial Observations
  2. Compass Error/Leeway
    3.Compass Dev. Tab. Constr.
  3. Speed by RPM
  4. Azimuth of the Sun
  5. Amplitude of the Sun
  6. Time Tick
  7. Terr. Observations
  8. Course in Current
  9. Tide in Problems
  10. Current problems

If you got some more question don’t be hesitate to PM me.Gudluck!

Thank you guys sooo much! I appreciate all the help! My mind is more at ease. You guys rock!!