3rd mate

I just got approved for my 3rd mate oceans unlimited, any one have any thoughts on the best order to take the 7 modules?

Terrestrial, celestial, chart, than nav, rules and deck, safety get the hard stuff over with first. My 2 cents

What did you use to prep. for your exam? Home study books, software, schools? Good luck on your test.

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

Did a LP class but had to go back to work early so just been hitin the books at work mostly t-nav, c-nav and chart plot.I’ve been using murphy books and some software I’m not there yet but almost. I haven’t gotten in to deck gen or deck safety to much I wanted to get my 3 hard ones down first.

Lapware is a great tool to use as well.

My opinion is get the easy ones out of the way deck gen, rules, then depending if your good with the plot or so on. Make sure you study alongside bowditch since you can use it…

Lapware is a great tool to use as well.

I’m using captain Joe software. Has anyone used that and compared to the test?

I recommend Fletcher’s structured study programs over other options.

Fletcher’s home study programs are very organized and progressive. For each section the basics are laid out and a foundation is built upon that. Throughout the study material you will find high quality illustrations, tips, tricks, and techniques that keep frustrations to a minimum and learning to a maximum. You can be confident that ALL materials are covered. A valuable part of the program includes first person support at their campus in Houma, LA and/or phone support if you need assistance abroad.

This is not my personal experience but a collaboration of many sailors I know personally.

I used Lapware to pass my Mate OSV exams but it took me much more time vs. my Fletcher colleagues. I cannot say I gained anything over them by studying on my own other than dragging out the process and spinning my wheels when I needed help.

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain

[QUOTE=nebraskathomas;58611]I recommend Fletcher’s structured study programs over other options.

Fletcher’s home study programs are very organized and progressive. For each section the basics are laid out and a foundation is built upon that. Throughout the study material you will find high quality illustrations, tips, tricks, and techniques that keep frustrations to a minimum and learning to a maximum. You can be confident that ALL materials are covered. A valuable part of the program includes first person support at their campus in Houma, LA and/or phone support if you need assistance abroad.

This is not my personal experience but a collaboration of many sailors I know personally.

I used Lapware to pass my Mate OSV exams but it took me much more time vs. my Fletcher colleagues. I cannot say I gained anything over them by studying on my own other than dragging out the process and spinning my wheels when I needed help.

Sent from my iPhone using gCaptain[/QUOTE]

Have had many mariners stay at my B&B while attending school at LE Fletcher in Houma.
From feedback I have gathered, all are extremely pleased with Capt. Bruce’s training in prepararion for testing.
Many have stated how much easier it was for them rather than doing it on your own.
Again, I still offer a discounted rate of $60/ night for mariners attending school.

Please visit my website at http://www.achateauonthebayou,com

And, “Like” my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165

Happy Holidays to all of you and your families.

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast
3158 Hwy. 308
Raceland, LA
(985) 537-6773