28/28 Short Sea Opportunites?

the good, the bad etc.

I have talked to Sante a couple times, pay is low and the tugs are old single screw mcallister tugs thats true. American MArine Corporation is another outfit with a few big tugs based in the gulf and east coast, they are a pain in the aā€¦ but they pay travel and you can work alot of days, mostly cause they donā€™t like to hire relief. I have kind of a stupid question. what kind of papers do you need to work entry level deckhand on the rivers, do you need MMC and TWIC. I have been offshore for 12 years and never really looked at the rivers.

What is Sante paying?? Those boats are hawser boats??

I was re-reading through these and wanted to inquire about United Ocean Services ATB unitsā€¦or ITB I guess as wellā€¦are they SIU or direct hire? Any info on that companyā€¦not the deep sea divsion bulkersā€¦but the ocean divison tugs/atbā€™s/itbā€™s

Worked for UOS (formerly TECO) for 5yrs on their ships and tugs. They are direct hire/non-union. Can say that I had no complaints about the company. Good people shoreside and on the boats and decent pay/benefits. Unfortunately, the had a slowdown 2-3 yrs ago and laid-up some boats. Doubt they are looking but best bet would be to call the office in Tampa and talk to personnel and/or go thru their online application process.

Quote :
Worked for UOS (formerly TECO) for 5yrs on their ships and tugs. They are direct hire/non-union. Can say that I had no complaints about the company. Good people shoreside and on the boats and decent pay/benefits. Unfortunately, the had a slowdown 2-3 yrs ago and laid-up some boats. Doubt they are looking but best bet would be to call the office in Tampa and talk to personnel and/or go thru their online application process.

Unfortunately they still have a few tied up in Tampa, I can say that I always enjoyed dealing with the folks there and Captains/crews also. I would reccomend you get on their list if your not lined up with anything else.

I worked for TOS for a year and a half myself. I had a few run ins with the personnel people a few times, but other than that I would say they were a good place to work. I would say that I wish I had stayed there longer but as it turned out they tied up my boat and a few others after I left. I doubt I wouldnt have had enough seniority to be kept around. There boats were in great shape the barges maybe not so much.

Thanks for the info guys! I am trying to nail down a list of ā€œgoodā€ companies to apply to when I get my credentials in the next few weekā€¦I am very fortunate in that I have a good stable shoreside job, so I have no problem waiting for the right thing to come my wayā€¦sounds like even though they may not be hiring right away this might be one of those possibilitesā€¦what type of work are they engaged inā€¦from my outsider perpspective it appears the mostly haul dry bulk from NOLA to Tampa?

Im just curiousā€¦ If you have a good stable shoreside job why do you want to get a job on a boat? Its not a very glamorus or family friendly proffession.