2017 exam Rules/Test questions/Nondisclosure

How does this effect the way we study? If they no longer publish test questions then how will we or what will we study? Are the murphy books being updated? The last update on those was what? 2012? It sounds like we are going to have to know the topics more then just question/answer. That sounds like it would be much harder and to bad for me and others as well.

1. Nondisclosure of certain information
    (a) Inapplicability of disclosure requirement
    (1) In general - The requirement to make information available under section 552 of title 5, United States Code, shall not apply to—
    (A) a question from any examination for a merchant seamen license, certificate, or document that the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating is authorized to issue pursuant to title 46, United States Code;
    (B) the answer to such question, including any correct or incorrect answer that may be presented with such question; and
    © any quality or characteristic of such question, including—
    (i) the manner in which such question has been, is, or may be selected for an examination;
    (ii) the frequency of such selection; and
    (iii) the frequency that an examinee correctly or incorrectly answered such question.
    (2) Statutory construction - This section constitutes a specific exemption within the meaning of section 552(b) (3) of title 5, United States Code.
    (b) Authority To Release Certain Exam Questions - Notwithstanding subsection (a), the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating is authorized, for the purpose of exam preparation by the general public, to release an exam question and answer that the Secretary has retired, is not presently on or part of an exam, or that the Secretary determines is appropriate for release.
    © Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents
    (1) In general - Chapter 71 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
  2. -Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents (a) Requirement for sample exams - The Secretary shall develop a sample merchant mariner exam and outline of merchant mariner exam topics on an annual basis. (b) Public availability - Each sample exam and outline of topics developed under subsection (a) shall be readily available to the public.
    (2) Clerical amendment - The analysis for such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:
  3. Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents. (d) Disclosure to Congress
    Nothing in this section may be construed to authorize the withholding of information from an appropriate inspector general or the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;178529]…It sounds like we are going to have to know the topics more then just question/answer. [/QUOTE]

The horror. The horror.

I heard people at CMA talking about that recently. What’s the big deal? The concepts and content on an exam is the same. I would just do what you would have done to prepare had they not changed any rules. Yes, the horror the horror…people are expected to know the material!

Because when you have to troubleshoot the equipment the answer is not C. The answer is, know the systems and find the root cause. The old exams are a joke. They are not a measure of ones capabilities to do this job. If your going to school, pay attention and learn the theories and you will do fine on the test.

Great suggestion on what to study: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf
And for a deeper understanding of the rules: Amazon.com
Amazon.com

A working knowledge of the RoR is critical for a deck officer. If it is too much of a bother to crack open a few books to better understand a critical aspect of being a professional mariner on the deck side, please do us all a favor and choose another career path. If you actually know the subject matter really well, you will do fine on the test.

As long as I get study material in the form of paper books and not some back room bull shit deal with lapware online study guides I am fine. But lets be clear for one second. Right or wrong its easy for someone that got the lic under the old rules to say suck it up move on they got it easy. You alway hear that you learn after you get the lic and learn on the job. Not one person wants tests to be harder not one.

I will look at those links.

Anyone know how the new test’s might look? What about those other 5 test’s for 3rd mate? Still 6 tests? What new study books might look like? Will 3rd officer be academy only now?

[QUOTE=Menizzi;178543]…But lets be clear for one second. Right or wrong its easy for someone that got the lic under the old rules to say suck it up move on they got it easy. [/QUOTE]

I sat for all my license exams before the questions were first made public. So it’s even easier to say suck it up and learn the material.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;178543]…What new study books might look like? [/QUOTE]

Maybe like this. Or this.

If you cant be bothered to go through rules of the road book and learn everything then why bother with any of it. In my humble opinion ROR was always the module i would just study and memorize and not worry about because it required no critical thinking like some of the other modules.

So i didn’t memorize the questions for oceans or chart plot you just have to know the concepts and how to do them. We got the halfway step this year with the order of answers being changed. For Rules i have to say i had not seen at least 20 of the question yet i still got a 98%. The 70% tests will be hard because we really don’t learn all the old stuff that the CG tests on which is no longer relevant. For Nav Gen its all in Bowditch 2 and the rest are in the CFRs so i guess you should learn how to use those.

Mr Cavo,

I currently hold a 1600 ton mate NC and took 6 modules. Chart plot, ROR, deck safety+environmental, deck gen, Nav gen, near coastal/terrestrial Nav. I plan on sitting for 1600 ton master as soon as i have the sea time and was curious what modules they typically have you take for that upgrade? I also have 200 ton master NC and mate of Tow. I keep hearing i will only be required to take about 3 modules for the upgrade to master. Do you have any insight on this being fact or fiction? Im taking the oceans endorsement at an outside school and plan on adding to license as well. Many thanks in advance for any info.

I also want to point out that questions lapware deems to be a certain level aren’t always true. We got several questions that belonged in the chief mates test according to lapware.

I thought lapware kindah sucked. Maybe i sucked at using it but i saw alot of the same questions and developed a false sense of confidence.

1 Like

[QUOTE=jdcavo;178534]The horror. The horror.[/QUOTE]

This how it ought to be. It’s how it use to be when I got my license.

BRAVO USCG !

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178558]I currently hold a 1600 ton mate NC and took 6 modules. Chart plot, ROR, deck safety+environmental, deck gen, Nav gen, near coastal/terrestrial Nav. I plan on sitting for 1600 ton master as soon as i have the sea time and was curious what modules they typically have you take for that upgrade? I also have 200 ton master NC and mate of Tow. I keep hearing i will only be required to take about 3 modules for the upgrade to master. Do you have any insight on this being fact or fiction?[/QUOTE]

You’ll take the exact same 6/7 modules (NC/Oceans) for Master but with different test codes so sightly different questions on them and one of the 70 question Mate exams is 50 quotations on the Master. (Under the old rules.)

The new rules specify:
Q100- Rules of the Road: Inland and International
Q120- Deck General
Q121- Deck Safety
Q122- Deck Safety: Stability Problems
Q123- Navigation General: Near Coastal
Q124- Navigation General: Oceans
Q125- Navigation Problems: Chart Plot
Q126- Navigation Problems: Near Coastal
Q127- Navigation Problems: Oceans

If you [B]QUALIFY[/B] for 2nd Mate (no need to actually hold anymore) you can upgrade to 1600 ton Master with:

Q130- Navigation and Deck General/Safety
Q131- Deck Safety: Stability Problems

and I think they will also make you take rules of the road but it isn’t specifically required in the exam guide.

Yea im not sure if i will qualify for 2nd mate or not. I keep hearing from co-workers that i will only need to take the ROR, q-130, q131. But you seem to think i will need to take the same 6-7 modules again but with harder questions most likely. I also plan onhaving my oceans endorsement on my mate license before i apply for master. Hopefully i wont have to do an oceans module in that case.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178571]Yea im not sure if i will qualify for 2nd mate or not.[/QUOTE]

You need 360 days of sea time as OICNW while holding a 3rd Mate license to qualify for 2nd Mate. Since you don’t have a 3rd Mate license there is no way for you to qualify for 2nd Mate.

What specific upgrade did your coworkers who are telling you that do? 3rd Mate to 1600 ton Master or 1600 ton Mate to 1600 ton Master?

Honestly i think 2 of the guys i talked with had 200 ton mate with master of towing vessels and they upgraded to 1600 ton master. I think the difference between them and myself is they had master of tow. I have mate of tow. I will have master of tow very soon. Its kind of a loophole i think. I was pissed off when i heard this because i spent about 3-4 months studying my ass off for 6 modules and they only had to take 3 modules.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;178583]Honestly i think 2 of the guys i talked with had 200 ton mate with master of towing vessels and they upgraded to 1600 ton master. I think the difference between them and myself is they had master of tow. I have mate of tow. I will have master of tow very soon. Its kind of a loophole i think. I was pissed off when i heard this because i spent about 3-4 months studying my ass off for 6 modules and they only had to take 3 modules.[/QUOTE]

Any chance they went to Master of Towing to Master [B]500[/B] GRT? (You can go Mate of Towing straight to Master 500 GRT as well…). This is only 3 tests and I believe you can then upgrade to Master 1600 tons at a future date with no further testing.

From the exam guide:

• Raise of Grade: IAW 46 CFR 11.418(b), Applicants Raising Grade from Master/Mate Pilot of Towing Vessels, regardless of the tonnage, to Master Less than 500 GRT on the same route by taking only the following modules

Q132- Deck General/Safety
Q133- Deck Safety: Stability Problems
Q134- Navigation Problems: Near Coastal
Q135- Navigation Problems: Oceans

• Near Coastal routes do not take Q135-Navigation Problems: Oceans

Do you have a year of sea time as Mate of Towing? If so apply for Master 500 GRT immediately.

46 CFR 11.418 Service requirements for master of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of less than 500 GRT.

(b) The holder of a license or MMC endorsement as master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels authorizing service on oceans or near-coastal routes is eligible for an endorsement as master of ocean or near-coastal self-propelled vessels of less than 500 GRT after both 1 year of service as master or mate of towing vessels on oceans or near-coastal routes and completion of a limited examination.

Can you two do this shit in oh I don’t know PM’s?

Yes i have the sea time as mate of towing and yes it could be possible i misunderstood them and they have 500 ton master and not 1600. So once i have 500 ton master i can attain 1600 tom master with just seatime? Thats great!