How does this effect the way we study? If they no longer publish test questions then how will we or what will we study? Are the murphy books being updated? The last update on those was what? 2012? It sounds like we are going to have to know the topics more then just question/answer. That sounds like it would be much harder and to bad for me and others as well.
- Nondisclosure of certain information
(a) Inapplicability of disclosure requirement
(1) In general - The requirement to make information available under section 552 of title 5, United States Code, shall not apply to—
(A) a question from any examination for a merchant seamen license, certificate, or document that the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating is authorized to issue pursuant to title 46, United States Code;
(B) the answer to such question, including any correct or incorrect answer that may be presented with such question; and
© any quality or characteristic of such question, including—
(i) the manner in which such question has been, is, or may be selected for an examination;
(ii) the frequency of such selection; and
(iii) the frequency that an examinee correctly or incorrectly answered such question.
(2) Statutory construction - This section constitutes a specific exemption within the meaning of section 552(b) (3) of title 5, United States Code.
(b) Authority To Release Certain Exam Questions - Notwithstanding subsection (a), the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating is authorized, for the purpose of exam preparation by the general public, to release an exam question and answer that the Secretary has retired, is not presently on or part of an exam, or that the Secretary determines is appropriate for release.
© Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents
(1) In general - Chapter 71 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
- -Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents (a) Requirement for sample exams - The Secretary shall develop a sample merchant mariner exam and outline of merchant mariner exam topics on an annual basis. (b) Public availability - Each sample exam and outline of topics developed under subsection (a) shall be readily available to the public.
(2) Clerical amendment - The analysis for such chapter is amended by adding at the end the following new item:
- Examinations for merchant seaman licenses, certificates, and documents. (d) Disclosure to Congress
Nothing in this section may be construed to authorize the withholding of information from an appropriate inspector general or the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives.